*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1168241-Placebo-Nursery-Crime
Rated: 13+ · Poetry · Opinion · #1168241
poem i wrote decribing (what i believe to be) the evils of legal prescription drugs
Placebo nursery crime

You sad son? Why? Why, just take this pill,
What? You’re sure it isn’t working?
Well, no, of course it isn’t real.

Will it make your tummy tingle, sonny boy?
Well surely, only now is pain revealed.

Refrain from tears, let me explain: To an end must means be cannoned.
If the distance to the end is great, the means therefore must tenfold gather.

Summoned by this pill, for poorly folk like you, the well and rich have fashioned.

Dearest doctor friend of mine has cures-in-one for what may ail you.
Spinning head, wet pants, spoon-fed, I guarantee the pill won’t fail you.

And lucky may you be in love, till love for better, new-minted powders calls boy.
Boy, your brain may break the old and evil, no time at all, new pills surely won’t forget you boy.

Side-effects? Now would I be a father if I chose those to neglect?
Here’s another chalk-and-sugar, this will make the bleeding stop.

The flaking skin? I’ve just begun. In this syringe is heaven spun.
Well my boy? Did I not say you’d start to crave? You lust and fear the screaming shame. I beg my boy, for me be brave.

Oh do get up stop shaking stop it!
Your being bad, I may begin to blame myself, or sweet salvation, bottled, shelved.
You’re foaming boy, its bad manners not to wash your mouth.

Why so still and drooling? Why can this be?
I’ve plugged and cooked you every brew that doctor dear prescribed to you
Wake up! If not a seizure, you should writhe in ecstasy!

Such callousness my boy! Cadavers make me ill.
How can I stop the smell, doc, what? Thank heavens there exists a pill!
I’ll take my fill, and there are a dozen more to choose, to make caskets out of corpses,
And blood and eyes preserve.

Well, thank heavens for the men that make machines that cut those
Coins for gulping children’s woes. Thank heavens, were he up and well,
We’d have no pills to suffocate his dying throes!
If not for pills and thrills, who knows? That could have been unpleasant!
© Copyright 2006 Adrian Scherze (carryalight at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1168241-Placebo-Nursery-Crime