*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1170187-A-Price-Payed-A-Lesson-Learned
Rated: E · Short Story · Fantasy · #1170187
A troll prince learns the price of power.
In the 6th dimension, where the sky is a deep violet and the trees was a turquoise colour, a land called Ferraug was ruled by a troll called Prince Nemo. The rumor is that there is a stone, called the ‘Philosopher’s Stone’, which had the power to make the bearer of the stone powerful and invincible to all harm. Prince Nemo heard of the rumors, and decided to search for this all-powerful stone. Although he was Prince and had much power already, he wanted more.

Just as Nemo was preparing to leave on his long and tedious journey, his loyal fiancée, Iida, barged in.
“Take me with you,” she pleaded with him. Iida was a dwarf troll, which means that she had a lower status than Prince Nemo, but Prince Nemo loved her anyways.
“No, it’s too dangerous. A journey not fit for a dwarf troll like you.” Prince Nemo replied sternly, “You’re better off staying here.”
Iida was as courageous and sensible as she was stubborn. “I’m coming with you, Nemo. I’m coming with you.” Prince Nemo knew that there was no point arguing then. From experience, Prince Nemo knew that when Iida started repeating herself in a sentence, it meant that she would get her way no matter what. So Iida packed some food and necessities and they left on their quest for the Philosopher’s Stone.

The rumor is that the Philosopher’s Stone is located in the Cave of the Sorceress. The Sorceress is the last of the ones who could cast magic, since the rest of the wizards and such were wiped out in a war with the trolls; a war that was lead by Prince Nemo in order to conquer the lands of Magic. Prince Nemo and Iida took off on huge mutilated bull-worms, since plain horses would be crushed under their weight. The worms slithered from Nemo’s castle to the Enchanted Forest. The forest was full of berries of different colours as well as strange flowers that looked like they could swallow up trolls.
Deep into the forest, Prince Nemo spotted some juicy looking berries. He reached out and picked one, and would’ve eaten it too if Iida didn’t slap it from his hands. “Those are poisonous! Leave it.” Iida ordered. Prince Nemo did and felt glad that Iida was there with him. He didn’t want to admit it, but Iida was much wiser and more sensible than him.

Suddenly, a huge black moth swooped down and grabbed onto Prince Nemo. The moth started to drag Prince Nemo away, but Iida was quick to shoot a flaming arrow at the moth. The moth screeched and convulsed in agony. It dropped Prince Nemo and flew into the sky, where it burned to ashes. “Are you alright?” Iida asked with concern. “Yes. I - I’m fine.” Prince Nemo stuttered shakily. He felt slightly indignant at having to be saved by his wife-to-be, but grateful to be alive, and not moth food.
“I could’ve killed the moth myself, you know,” Nemo said peevishly. “I’m sure you could’ve.” Iida replied with a slight smile. And so Prince Nemo and Iida continued their journey. Prince Nemo grew more anxious to get his hands on the Stone.

As they neared the cave, the trees gradually became less dense, and the moss wasn’t as lush. “I think I see the cave!” Iida rushed ahead and beckoned for Nemo to follow. They arrived at the entrance of the cave. The entrance was guarded by a few tree nymphs.

“Ha! Tree nymphs!” Prince Nemo snorted, “This will be easier than I thought.”

But Iida looked doubtful. “I don’t think it will be that easy...” she lingered for a moment. About 6 or 7 tree nymphs were at the entrance, but as Prince Nemo and Iida looked around, they realized there were thousands of tiny, yellow eyes peering at them from behind trees or bushes.

“Nemo, don’t freak out, but I think there are more of them,”

“I know,”

“I have a plan,”

Before Iida could continue, the thousands of tree nymphs jumped out and attacked Prince Nemo and Iida. Tree nymphs were usually peaceful, but these one’s had sharp teeth and claws that could almost rip up tough troll skin. “Nemo!” Iida shouted from underneath the little monsters, “Go inside the cave! I’ll take care of the nymphs and catch up with you in a minute.”

“Are you sure you can take them?” Prince Nemo shook some nymphs off, and saw the nymphs sink their teeth into Iida. Orange blood trickled down her light green skin.

“Go. Go. Go!” she shouted. Prince Nemo hurried inside the cave. The light was dim, but he could see alright. He felt so close to the stone that his rough green skin tingled with anticipation. The tunnel twisted and turned inside the cave.
Finally, Prince Nemo arrived in a dimly lit chamber. The ceiling was very high, and the cavern was spacious. A tall oak tree grew in the center of the large cavern. He wondered how the tree could grow so sufficiently without sunlight as he cautiously approached the tree. He saw that someone was sitting on one of the large branches high up on the tree.
It was some sort of a creature. So this is the sorceress, Prince Nemo thought. The creature did not have green skin. Her skin was a pale beige colour. She’s hideous! Prince Nemo thought. Her hair was silky and brown. It was very different from troll hair, which are just a few coarse green strands sticking out of the almost bald head.

“I have been expecting you,” she spoke. Her voice was musical and sounded like two voices speaking in unison.

“I have come for the Philosopher’s Stone,” Prince Nemo said.

“Yes. You have.” She said knowingly, “However, you should know that everything comes with a price.”

“Wow, she’s hideous.” Iida said. Prince Nemo gasped in surprise at the hushed voice beside her.
“Told you I would take care of the tree nymphs,” Iida smirked at Nemo’s surprise. Prince Nemo smiled. He was very close to gaining possession of the Stone. All that stood in his way was an ugly sorceress. “Name your price,” Prince Nemo was abundant in riches, and was prepared to make a sacrifice for immense power.

“I do not want your riches,” She said, as if reading Nemo’s mind, “I want something precious to you.”

“Tell me what you want,” Prince Nemo was yearning for the Stone. He thought of all the things it would bring him: Power, fame, land and more wealth.

“I want your lover, the female dwarf troll, for she is most precious to you,” the Sorceress said gleefully, “I want her life.”

Prince Nemo gave Iida a fleeting glance. “He will not do that, Sorceress,” Iida said confidently. A soft, chiming voice told Prince Nemo of the sweet things the Stone will bring. Who needs Iida? The Stone will bring greater joy. It is all he need. The thought gnawed at Nemo until he couldn’t take it anymore. He had to have the Stone.

“Take her,” he said softly.

“What was that?” the Sorceress prodded, “Speak up.”

“I said take her!” Prince Nemo shouted. He heard Iida gasp. The Sorceress giggled delightedly. A strong gust of wind blew and a cage fell over Iida. A glowing golden stone drifted down from the tree and landed softly in Prince Nemo’s hands. The stone was finally in his grasp. Yet the triumph wasn’t as great as he had pictured. He didn’t feel very powerful.
The sorceress giggled again. “There is a rumor that the stone brings power to whoever possesses it,” she said casually, “I wonder if you came because of that rumor…or the one saying the stone brings immortality.”

“What do you mean?” Prince Nemo was confused. He examined the Stone. The Stone radiated a golden light. Then he noticed that his steel armor turned a golden colour. He touched it, and realized it was gold. “They were just rumors, you know,” the Sorceress said, “The Philosopher’s Stone has only the power to turn metals to gold.”

“It turns metals to gold? But what of the power…I…” Prince Nemo’s eyes glazed over as the truth sunk in. He had just traded the most important person in the whole 6th dimension for a worthless stone that turned metals to gold. Gold was useless in Ferraug. It was too soft make good armory or weaponry.

“Prince Nemo. You have caused the destruction of my people because of your greediness,” she said coldly, “I could just kill you, but that will not reverse time. Your foolish desire for power has now cost you greatly. I will release your friend, but may this teach you a lesson. Do not let your greed cloud your judgment any longer, and hopefully, you will rule more wisely and peacefully from now on.”

The cage holding Iida swung open. Iida stepped out and walked away without as much as a glance at Nemo.
“Iida! Wait!” Prince Nemo yelled. Iida left him, Prince Nemo thought, and it was his fault. Now that Iida was gone, he realized that even if the Stone had power, there were some things it would never give him.

Prince Nemo thought about what the sorceress said, and hurried off after Iida. The sorceress smiled as she watched Nemo go. She had just helped out the inhabitants of Ferraug, taught Prince Nemo a lesson, and took her revenge in her own civilized and graceful way.
© Copyright 2006 hello world (writersmuse at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1170187-A-Price-Payed-A-Lesson-Learned