*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1170235-First-Snow
Rated: E · Short Story · Children's · #1170235
Remember seeing snow for the first time? This lil' piece is dripping with wonder . . .
Flash fiction contest: (300 words or less); experiencing snow for the first time

Still a bit groggy, he awoke to crisp chill. What a tumble I took! He opened his eyes and looked around. A strange and enchanting land stared back. This is but a dream.

Awestruck, he stood completely still. This must be snow. Flecks of diamonds shimmered about the yard. In great waves they danced across the breeze, dipping and twirling before gently coming to rest. Each mundane object of the yard was blanketed. White silhouettes on a white canvas. Fairydust, it seemed powdered the horizon. Simply breathtaking!

He had known it would be cold, but never expected this. Oh, sure he heard of it, but to see it, feel it . . . to be one with it. He watched as the moon overtook the sky. The street before him gathered a white blanket of it's own; softly glowing under the stars. Sugarcoated winds slapped about wildly depositing fresh flakes of brilliant wonder. Each frozen speck a piercing cold work of art, a spider's web of intricatly spun beauty. Nothing had ever seemed so magical.

As the sun crept across the morning sky, he was fearful of losing this Neverland. His hat began to weigh heavily upon his head. His scarf seemed a bit too snug. He could scarcely remember ever having been so warm. The beautiful white paradise faded fast into a dingy slush before his eyes, and so did he.

As he sank away the little waterdrop smiled, knowing soon enough he'd again dance the breeze. . . and, perhaps share in something larger than himself. Oh, to once again become a snowman!
© Copyright 2006 phyduex (phyduex at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1170235-First-Snow