*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1170719-Betrayal
by van
Rated: ASR · Other · Friendship · #1170719
A high-jump competion that didn't go as well as expected
Pandemonium broke out and a frenzy of loud cheers erupted from the stands as the finals of the Olympics High jump championship commenced. The stadium was a kaleidoscope of colours, with many coloured pennants, flags and banners flapping wildly in the wind. Supporters had come from different parts of the world to support their countrymen in that prestigious event. The tension and electricity in the air was almost palpable. My best friend, Joan, had taken time off her work to support me in this competition, and I was grateful for that.

My palms were perspiring. I needed a towel to dry my grip. The glass of ice water that Joan had given me, had quenched my thirst, but hardly cooled my intensity. I could already feel the nausea due to my nervousness. I felt my heart beat faster and thought it skipped a beat. The overwhelming amount of pressure was building on me as I tried to recall whatever I had learnt during my regimental training.

One week before the competition, I had made myself go through series of strenuous exercises. Muscle aches were the result of that, just because I needed to prepare myself for the gold medal that I dearly wanted to win.

Without much difficulty, I cleared the bar at 1.8 metres. As soon as I landed on the inflated landing mat and with the crowd on their feet, I immediately began preparing for my next attempt. I was tying my shoelace when I heard the crowd moan and I knew that my other competitor had missed his final jump. It was my turn. The pole was set at 2.2 metres. It was 0.3 metres higher than my personal best and 0.1 off the world record.

I shone with self-confidence. For months, I knew I had done everything in my power for that precise moment and now it was right there, where I had long imagined and dreamt I would be. As I visualised the bar in my mind, I broke into a slight run on the fresh-cut grass. I picked up speed. Then, I pushed myself into the air.

Thump! I landed flat on my back and heard the crowd break into a mad jig of joy. A sense of jubilation washed over me. I thrust my fists into the air. Then, I heard the emcee announce, “ That is a disqualified jump! Test results from the competitor’s urine sample has produced positive findings for nandrolone, a steroid.”

I stood up, dumbfounded and my mind in disbelief, the wild cheers suddenly turning silent. I tried to recall any incidence where I might have taken any supplements. Then, it hit me. The glass of water! I turned around and saw Joan smiling maliciously at me.

I stared at her with utmost revulsion. White-hot anger licked my insides. How could she do this to me? Restraining the urge to rush forward and punch her in the face, I clutched my fists till I felt my fingernails dig deep into the flesh of my palm. Both anger and sadness seared through every inch of my body. Sadness, that was not due to the end of my pole-vaulting dream, but having to face the reality of a friend, who had betrayed my love and trust.
© Copyright 2006 van (micrography at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1170719-Betrayal