*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1170796-The-way-we-were----------Chapter-Two
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Romance/Love · #1170796
(see chapter one)
India

I stand up and pull my cardigan ties. The night breeze began to softly tap at my cheeks.
"Im, sorry, I have to go." I say.
"But, I've only just come, surely you can..."
"I have to go." comes my reply.
I look at his eyes, those eyes, I cant resist them. But i have to. I have to go.
"I really have to go now." I begin to walk away.
I feel him grab for my arm but pick up speed along the beach, stumbling over rocks.
"Wait!" he cries.
"What, what now?" I say, not stopping.
"Is this it?"
I pause.
"Im not sure." I reply, biting my lip so hard it could bleed.
I look back.
"Is it?" he repeats, unsatisified with my reply.
"I think so." I choke back tears.

I carry on walking and close my eyes, trying to listen for the footsteps follwing me, trying to imagine him getting up and running to me. But he doesnt. He just stays there. On my beach. On my sand. Near my house. Holding my heart. I stop in a place where he cant see me, and peer behind. No movement.

Rain begins to pound down on the road, making it glisten. Cars headlights light a path to my house, I clamber up the steps and stand outside, still in view of the family's private beach. The rain comes down heavier, soaking my clothes. Im not going to go in, not just yet. He might come, he might come for me.

RIORDAN

I sigh. After so many years of friendship and love, its over. Just like that. Its because of what I did earlier in the week, its my fault. Or maybe weve just grown out of each other. Maybe we need to... No, its my fault.

I see her picking up pace, walking faster and faster. She thinks I cant see her looking back at me, but I do, shes so beautiful. But shes over me. I suppose Ill have to get over her. Rain begins to lash down on me, the sea looks angry, almost black. But I'll wait. I wont go home, not just yet. She might come back, she might come back for me.

India

Water trickles down my cheeks, I dont know wether its tears or the rain. Does it matter? I've been staning for two hours now. In the cold. The sky is jet black, like my hair. And theres no stars tonight, just a kind of misty fog creeping in. I hear the door open and glance behind my shoulder. Its my mother.

"Hunny, come in." she pleads.
"I cant." i say.
"Why not hunny, your being silly, just come in and get to bed."
"Youd do it." i whisper.
"Sorry?" she asks, slowly approaching me.
"If you thought dad was gunna come back for you, youd wait for him."
She coughed, fakely to cover him the quiet whimper.
"I wouldnt, and theres a difference."
"Go on." I say.
"Your fathers dead, there isnt a point in waiting, we need to get on with our lives, realise that India."
I step back.

"You didnt care about him enough, thats all."
"How dare you!" she exclaims. "I loved him with all my heart. I juts came to terms with it quickly."
"Right." I reply. "Sorry." soon after.
"Its ok, just come to bed, have a good nights sleep."

"I loved him mam." I say.
"I know sweetie, but you know what he did last week, hes no good, Ive always known that."
"He might be no good. But he was my best friend."
Mam tutted and walked in.
"I think im gunna just stay here for a while longer."

RIORDAN

I walk up the rocks and sandy hill that takes me to the main road. I glimpse to the biggest and grandest house in the street and look at her, shes talking with her mam. Theres no way I'm going to go there now. Ill leave it. She probably would turn me away anyway. Her mam looks at me but ignored me totally.

I dawdle along the street and pcik a plate of chips up before I arrive at my house. Its quite a bit bigger than Indias but we dont have a private beach, we have a pool instead. Im really lucky I guess. But id trade it all for her. I run upstairs without addressing the 'rents, and jump on my bed. The chips fly up into the air and I ignore the mess. I stare up at the cieling in thought and then slowly drift asleep. "Where did it all go wrong, why did it all go wrong?"
© Copyright 2006 xheadlights on darkroadsx (georgia1 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1170796-The-way-we-were----------Chapter-Two