*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1171112-letter-from-cancer
Rated: E · Short Story · Other · #1171112
I wrote this when my mom was dying from cancer last year.
LETTER FROM CANCER ©

I am what you would call a thief. I know I am not wanted, but I come anyways. I silently sneak my way into your life when you least expect it, I take parents from children and children from parents. I seek to destroy those in whom you love, and split up families. I wait silently in the darkness, until I am discovered. I scorn you optimistic attitude. I try to place doubt into your mind, and hopelessness into your heart. My relatives do the same even though we all look differently. You can not see me in the mirror. You can not wish me away. I am not wanted, and it bothers me none. I will make you sick and the sadness consuming. I attempt to stop you from your every day activities. Yet you still smile! Yet you do not allow the hopelessness to consume you. Your strength is stronger than ever before. You are building bonds, which can not be broken even in death.

You wake up each morning, happy to be alive. You find joy in the things that I can not steal from you. I can not take your family, as much as I can't stop the sun from shining. As hard as I have tried, I have not been able to to steal you joy! You have conquered me, in the place that it hurts the most. You have beaten me, in ways I never expected. You have won the battle. Though I still consume you, I have not consumed your heart. Though I run throughout your body, you have not allowed me to take away the things that mean the most to you.

Sincerely,
CANCER

By: Tina Zielke
© Copyright 2006 TinaZ80 (tinaz80 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1171112-letter-from-cancer