*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1171273-Adelaides-Tale-Part-2
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Other · History · #1171273
part two of adelaide's tale, histoirical fiction
Adelaide’s Tale: Part II
Sonya Spongberg

The next morning Roald and Roger woke up to ride before the sun’s heat ruined the day. Warrior, Roald’s horse, walked at a steady canter while Roger’s horse rode a little slower to match the pace of his master.

“Did you drink too much last night, Roger?” Roald said.

Roger’s head came up with a jerk as he stopped his horse. When Roald only smiled at him, he grimaced and started again.

“Drink is a temporary solution, not a permanent problem solver.”

“Don’t lecture me today, uncle. I have no head for it.”

Roald chuckled and continued on. After a few more minutes of silence, they approached the vast forest of the Ashley land. Roger decided to ride ahead to make sure the area was clear.

“Don’t hurry, uncle,” Roger said. “Old men need to take their time.”

“As do drunkards, nephew.”

Roger laughed and rode to the woods.

In the clearing ahead of him he saw a path leading into the woods, but before he could call for his uncle he heard noises behind him. Roger stopped his horse just in time to see the group of riders coming from the opposite direction. As they drew nearer, he recognized them as the women from the banquet in the manor. Behind him he heard his uncle approach on Warrior and saw him stop next to him. The lesser women rode at the front of the procession, and as they passed Roger he bowed. At this they giggled and caught his eye. The lady of the manor rode at the end of the line, and Roger bowed. She nodded and smiled at his kindness and courtesy.

His uncle, who had also bowed to the young women, looked ahead to see the lady approach. She took her eyes off Roger and he could tell that she was startled when she immediately met his uncle’s gaze. Their eyes met, and only when she was directly in front of him did Roald bow to her, never taking his eyes away from hers. She did not nod or visibly acknowledge his respect, but Roger could tell that something unseen had passed between them. His uncle’s eyes followed the lady as she took her eyes off his face and quicken her pace to rejoin her ladies, and they remained upon her as the entourage disappeared into the woods.

“Uncle?” Roger said.

Roald’s eyes still held the sight of the surrounding trees.

“Uncle, who was that?”

Roald sighed, turned to his nephew, and shook his head, as though clearing a fog from his mind.

“A memory,” he said.

Roger’s blank stare made Roald chuckle.

“You have so much to learn, Nephew,” he said as he turned his horse away from the path leading to the woods.
© Copyright 2006 Saban Napalla (queenlizzy719 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1171273-Adelaides-Tale-Part-2