*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1171506-United-We-Stand
by Tom
Rated: E · Essay · History · #1171506
A memoir of September 11th
United We Stand


          It was a beautiful autumn day at school. I was in 11th grade, a junior, looking forward to attending my sister’s graduation from her Navy basic training up in Great Lakes, Illinois in a few days. I could hear the construction vehicles outside the window of the Physics classroom, lulling me to sleep as I struggled to pay attention. The kid who sat next to me, a senior by the name of David Solares, was playing Mario, or a spin-off of it, on his scientific calculator. After about a half hour of fighting distractions, I finally gave in and started writing a program on my own TI-86 calculator that would draw an American Flag on the screen (complete with 50 stars and 13 stripes). I knew how I wanted it to go. I was almost finished, but I needed to erase certain points on the graph. The date was September 11, 2001.
         I was sitting in the back row, by the door, staring down the hallway, waiting for a hot girl to walk into view, but I was not rewarded for my vigilance. Nobody roamed the halls. I heard Dave make a joke about Mr. Schmelzle’s having “P” all over the board (he did, I forget what it stands for, but we were talking about functions of “P” or something like that. It was funny at the time). I snickered at the crude joke, and returned my attention to the board and the teacher. I knew it was hopeless. I am good at math, but physics is way over my head. I glanced at the bulletin board where my teacher posted various quotes and smiled at the newest addition: “I understand the concepts…I just can’t get the right answer! ~ Tom Hajjar.”
          Just as the students were returning to earth from their zoned-out la-la lands, the PA speaker buzzed, and the school dean informed us that the World Trade Center had been hit by a plane. Instant pandemonium erupted in the classroom. Students began speculating at who could have done that, how could enemy planes get here, was this some sort of sick joke, etc. etc. I was in my fighter plane phase, so I had some knowledge of various military aircraft. I immediately suspected Iraq, but I knew they had no planes capable of such an attack. MiG-29s, Su-33s, MiG-23s, and all the other fighters I speculated Iraq had didn’t have the range for such an attack. And if it did, and kamikazed into the building, it wouldn’t have enough mass to sufficiently damage the structure to create a catastrophe. When the speakers buzzed a few minutes later and said that the Pentagon had been attacked as well, I was astounded. There was silence in the room.
          The moment ended when the bell rang, signifying the end of class. Students inundated the hallway as they rushed to the lunchroom to gorge themselves on processed chicken fat. Everyone was talking about what happened. I went to my girl friend’s house for lunch, where her brother was watching the planes fly into the World Trade Center. We watched in stunned silence as the other plane appeared and crashed right into the second building. I realized suddenly that I was living what would soon be in history textbooks all over the world.
          I noticed something missing in my small world over the next couple of days. The absence of jet engines in the sky was deafening. I could not hear a single plane engine anywhere. I realized the enormity of 9/11 then. The sky was silent, and I was disoriented because of it. I was finally set to experience something that would change my life forever.
         Since air travel had ground to a halt, my family and I ended up driving up to Great Lakes, Illinois to see my sister’s graduation from Navy boot camp. However, when we arrived at our destination, we were informed that the graduation may be canceled due to the potential for another terrorist attack. Back in the hotel room, I remember joking around (something I do when I’m upset), saying, “Terrorists are so inconsiderate! I mean, they’re ruining everything for us! Sheesh! No consideration, whatsoever…” Of course, nobody laughed since there was still mourning going on. This is when I developed my view on death: The deceased are dead. Gone forever, and they are not coming back. In time, one will adapt to the change, so what’s the point in mourning? Yes it is terrible, but do something about it rather than sitting and moping around like it is the end of the world.
          That night, the President gave his speech that initiated the War on Terrorism. Dad and I stayed up late watching it, and I have never been more proud to be a citizen of the United States of America than at that moment. For a few seconds, I felt united with the people around me in a way I’ve never felt before. The feeling was so powerful, so vast, that it almost made me cry. At my sister’s graduation, singing the Star Spangled Banner for the first time in years (instead of just mouthing the words), as well as saying the Pledge of Allegiance, I felt one with every single person there. It was the most powerfully emotional experience I have ever had.
          I will never forget that day, and that feeling of unity. I will always remember the connection I felt with everyone around me for that one moment. The experience changed my view of the life, as it opened my eyes to the thoughts and emotions of those around me in an almost psychic bond.


The End
© Copyright 2006 Tom (tomhajjar at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1171506-United-We-Stand