*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1173315-Definitions
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Fantasy · #1173315
Definitions can change despair into ecstacy... You simply have to know them in your heart.
He's alone again. Sitting before the statue; moss-covered already. It's been a year since Merendis died, and still he sits here, weeping in the hope his brother will see his tears, and grant him his wish.
It's been a year; so many tears has he cried; still Merendis does not live again.
"Dreich-Nyaf ghois throix?"
He gasps, and throws his head back to stare at the origin of the voice. A figure lounges on the statue, gazing at him almost as if bored with his presence; silvern eyebrow arched harshly.
"Whu- What... I... I don't... understand..." His stubby fingers wipe siftly at his swollen eyes, attempting to remove the evidence of tears.
"Whu- What?" the silver-haired creature infront of him mocked, smoothly switching from his reclining pose to a slouching sit, staring intently at the youngster; a cruel smirk situated itself upon his lips.
He flinched back; hurt flooded through him at the others' tone. "I..." He blinked, then gasped, "Get off! That's... That's my brother under there!"
The figure cocked an eyebrow, then stared down. "Oh he is, is he?"
"Ye... yeah! And tha... that's rude!"
The other eyebrow rose. "I'm sure he doesn't care."
"I...I!" He groaned, feeling tears come to his eyes; his shoulders shook.
Perhaps the figure realised he had gone too far, for his eyebrows dropped, and he simply gazed at the child. "Tell me," he whispered over the small ones' tears, "Tell me, what is your name."
Such a change of track threw the boy off, and he stared. "Y... Ynessryf."
The other rolled his eyes. "Not that one. Your ribbon name."
A daze passed over Ynessryf, and he murmured softly, "Loveless... by the ribbons."
A startled flash passed through the others eyes, before they softened in a caring look. "Loveless... So strange that we would ever meet. For I am the opposite. I am Love."
"Wha... What's your other na-name?"
Lips quirked in a grin. "Kaou. Kaou Glaiser-Raech. I wonder, what terrible sin your soul commited to be denied me."
The child stared quizzingly.
Kaou sighed. "I am love in it's truest form. I am True Love as it is meant to be; rare though it actually occurs."
A puzzled frown creased Ynessryf's face. "Tru-rue love? Don't you mean... pure love?"
"No," the answer was harsh and cutting, causing Ynessryf to flinch back. "I shall never understand why you mortals believe pure love to be the best form of love. Especially since there is no such thing. Pure love" Kaou spat the words out, "would be a most awful form of love. When you say pure, you imply perfect. And there is no such thing."
Tears filled Ynessryfs eyes again; his small frame crumpled in on itself. " My moma told me... she told me, that," he swallowed, "pure love is the... the only reason to li-live. So... so if, there is... no such thing..." a sob escaped him, "then... then what is the point in living?" He burst into tears.
A hand curled round his cheek, thumb gently wiping the tears away. "True love. True love is the very rarest form of love. It is not pure. It is painful, full of darkness. It is not tainted though. Hatred walks hand-in-hand with it; pain is interwoven so tightly with it..."
"NO MORE!" Ynessryf thrashed, knocking the softly stroking hand off of his cheek. "No more! How..." He sobbed harshly. "How can yo-you say that... THAT. Is... Something to-to live for!? Hatred... Pu-pai..."
A finger pressed swiftly to his lips. "Shhh..."
Kaou lifted his finger from the childs' lips, sighed, standing up and turning away. "Because..." He sighed again, ever so gently. "Because... it's the moments... the times... when you just feel... so... connected to them. You meet their eyes, and their very soul is bared to you, and you can see it... see their love... Their smile. That special one... the one that they... they smile so gently... and you know... you know... that THAT smile... is yours ... and yours alone."
Silence. Even Ynessryfs' pained sobs had halted.
Kaou turned back, and Ynessryf started upon seeing the tracings of a tear upon his cheek. "That is why... why true love IS worth it. It's not the big, expensive gestures. The gifts and the declerations of love. It's the moments... the little things."
"How..." Ynessryf asked quietly. "How can you tell ... when... when you have it?"
A gentle smile graced Kaou's lips. "You don't have to tell ..." He raised a hand to stop Ynessryfs' cry of anger. He winked calmly. "You don't need to tell... because you know. The knowledge doesn't come from your mind. Or even your heart." Another tear traced his cheek slowly. "You know it with your very soul.
"That... that is worth living for. Always."

-CG out.
© Copyright 2006 Centrau Guardian (chilmayra at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1173315-Definitions