*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1173449-Destiny
Rated: E · Short Story · Romance/Love · #1173449
Short romantic work with some sci fi and placed in the future
The address was written in elegant penmanship with the flourish that only few could or would attempt in these times. It was handwritten with care and Maria was only too grateful to have such good fortune to have this reference for employment. As she walked down the street she looked at every house hoping to come by the correct number.

This was a new beginning; a new position that could support her and give her a life she could be happy with. The difficult times had hurt so many people; the unemployment rate had reached a record high and the homeless rate had doubled. People who were working could not afford a home to live in. So many impoverished. So many turning to illegal activities without anything to hope in.

It was in this time that Maria had come in contact with a church where she found a new family; one that she could trust an lean on. Than God blessed her with word of a job. The position would give her a room and board, a small salary, but most of all a purpose.

Anna Beth had slipped her the paper during service at the local missionary. She said that the home needed someone with her special talents and that she hoped it would be a blessing to her and those she came into contact with.
Now, as she passed homes of great splendor, Maria prayed that she would be able to let God speak through her in order to secure her new position.

“May I ask who is calling for Master Allen?” The man who answered the door was dressed in a used but proudly worn suit, his face drawn in a slight scowl.


“I, my name is Maria. I . . . I was sent to . . . I am here to apply for the position.” She said with a slight question. She didn’t expect to be so apprehensive, but the house, from what she could see, was old and grand.

“Let her in Steven. I don’t want her lingering outside, the neighbors will start rumors again” The voice came from a room at the corner, an office of some type. Steven opened the door just wide enough to allow her entrance.

The home was large and had a Victorian feel to it. The pillars at the entrance, once white were now grey with dirt and age. It looked intimidating, which invoked some anxiety to all who approached.
© Copyright 2006 Queenbee (question at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1173449-Destiny