*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1173935-Dreaming-Chapter-Three
by Riven
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Romance/Love · #1173935
Draco's missing and Hermione doesn't know what to think. Or what to tell Harry and Ron...
This is the third chapter. To read the first two, please go to my portfolio and click on the other two to read them!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DREAMING: CHAPTER THREE

Hermione’s sleep was dreamless. She drifted endlessly through grey mist, alone in the vastness of her dream. While this dream was better than her last, it felt wrong somehow.

When she woke, she found Dumbledore smiling down at her over his half moon spectacles. By the light coming through the windows she supposed it might be late afternoon.

“Headmaster,” she said sleepily and tried to sit up.

“Good afternoon, Miss Granger. I hope you’re fully recovered?” she nodded and he continued. “Now, I apologise for my haste, but I need to ask you what happened last night between you and mr Malfoy, as he is currently unable to tell us.”

“What’s wrong with him?” Hermione asked immediately.

“I’m afraid that I can’t tell you, it’s a very private matter and even I am not sure of all the details myself. But as soon as I find out, and with his permission, you shall know.” Hermione nodded.

“Last night I was getting my Arithmacy textbook, since I’d left it in class and I wanted to check something. But before I got there Dr..Malfoy showed up covered in blood and collapsed at my feet.” She didn’t know how to finish her story, having left out most of what had happened, but Dumbledore seemed to understand since he finished for her.

“And then you also collapsed out of shock?” he asked with the barest hint of humour in his voice. Hermione nodded mutely and he continued. “Well, thank you for your help, Miss Granger. Poppy wants to keep you in here until dinner to make sure you're all right, and I am sure that Mr Potter and Mr Weasley will be along to visit you in the near future. Ah! Here they are now.”

The two boys, who had been running into the room, caught sight of Dumbledore standing at the end of Hermione’s bed and tried to slow down. Harry stopped first, but Ron crashed into him from behind and they both landed on the floor at the feet of their headmaster.

“Good afternoon, Professor Dumbledore.” Harry managed to say. Dumbledore nodded and smiled openly.

“Good afternoon. Would you like me to call Madame Pomfrey to help you?” Both boys shook their heads and stood up. “In that case,” Dumbledore continued, “I shall let you catch up with Miss Granger. Good day.” As soon as Dumbledore had gone Harry and Ron rushed to Hermione’s side.

“Hermione, are you alright?” “Madame Pomfrey wouldn’t let us in this morning, she said you needed rest!” “What happened?” “I think I failed my potions essay!” “Where were you this morning?” Hermione laughed as her two best friends began to talk both at once.

“I’m fine really, I just..” she paused as they waited expectantly, “...didn’t feel well last night.. Madame Pomfrey said it was exam stress.” Harry and Ron rolled their eyes, exams weren’t for three months yet. As much as Hermione hated lying to her friends, she guessed they wouldn’t have taken the news about Malfoy well. Hermione assured herself that she would tell them as soon as she knew what was going on, and smiled. “I’d like to get up, but Madame Pomfrey said that I’ve got to stay in here until dinner.” Harry nodded knowingly. He’d often been at the mercy of the school’s nurse.

The afternoon passed swiftly however, as Ron and Harry told Hermione what she had missed that day. Snape had, with as much glee as he could muster, immediately failed Hermione for not handing her exam in on time; McGonagall had begun on their new topic of changing objects to look like one thing to one person, and something else to another. And blushing furiously, Ron admitted that he had asked Lavender to the half year ball, and that she had agreed to go with him.

The half year ball... Hermione had forgotten all about it. She and Ron had decided that the seventh years needed some more social events and, since they were Head Boy and Girl, arranged for a half yearly ball for them. It was in a week. Ron and Harry saw her look and grinned.

“Don’t tell me you’d forgotten, Hermione?” she nodded and smiled.

“Let me guess? Exam stress?” Ron added. Hermione fought to keep the smile on her face and nodded. She felt wrong lying to Harry and Ron, they’d been friends most of their seven years at Hogwarts, and she’d only ever lied to them about the Time Turner and other... ‘girl’ stuff. Never about something like this. She’d lied to Dumbledore, but that was different. Draco wasn’t Dumbledore’s almost worst enemy.

As Ron and Harry continued talking she mused over the events of last night. Now that she saw everything by daylight she wasn’t sure how she felt about... everything that had happened, and she didn’t even know what had happened, or where he was. He had said he loved her and she’d told him she didn’t hate him. Where did that leave her? What if he was just lying? she thought suddenly, and she found that the idea made her want to be sick.

How could he do that?{/oi} she wondered. For years he’s treated me like dirt and now he confesses his love? But that wasn’t exactly true. She had hardly seen him, least of all talked to him since her fifth year. A year and a half, he could have changed... but again, where did that leave her? And why was he with Snape and McGonagall?

“Hermione?” she looked up. Harry was talking to her. “Are you sure you’re alright?” she nodded.

“Yes. Why?”

“Remember what happened before exams in out fifth year?” She tried to remember “You said you felt a bit sick, didn’t see Madame Pomfrey, and within the week you were so sick you almost couldn’t make it to the exams.” Hermione smiled.

“Well if I feel sick again, I’ll tell you. And then you can personally tie me to a bed. Okay?” Harry nodded and smiled. Hermione changed the subject. “Are you taking anyone to the ball yet?” Harry blushed.

“I thought I ask take Cho,” he muttered. “But her aunt is sick and she might have to leave to take care of her.” Hermione grinned as Harry turned as red as Ron’s hair.

“So you’ll be the bachelor of the ball?”

“Think of that... the boy who lived has no one to take to a ball! You’d think people would be buying lottery tickets to go with you” Ron joked, then looked thoughtful “That’s actually not a bad idea: ‘Win a date with Harry Potter’. We could make a fortune” Harry shrugged.

“I dunno. Who are you going with Hermione?” he asked, “Has anyone been brave enough to try and live up to Krum’s legacy and ask you to the ball? Any confessions of undying love? Terry Boot from Ravenclaw has been heard saying that you looked ‘quite stunning’ at our last ball, and he’s not going with anyone yet.”

“Sadly, no. Secret affairs with any Ravenclaws aren’t on my year plan. No one’s asked me to go to the ball either.” Hermione forced a smile as she thought of last night. Get a grip, she told herself. Confessions of love don’t count if they’re from Slytherins. She pushed the memories to the back of her mind and changed the subject. “Let’s see if Madame Pomfrey will let me go to dinner now.”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Woo! Three chapters up... please keep reviwing. Just let me know what you think.
© Copyright 2006 Riven (ear145 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1173935-Dreaming-Chapter-Three