*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1174074-The-Last-Monster-on-Halloween
Rated: E · Other · Relationship · #1174074
A light story about a visit from an old flame.
As I opened the door for what I hoped would be the last of the trick-or-treaters, a cold chill shot down my spine when I saw the most grotesque figure standing on my welcome mat. “Trick or treat?” a familiar voice said to me. Trick, I thought. A horrible, horrible trick! What heinous deed I had done in my life to warrant a visit from this monster that I had buried long ago. I stood there stunned should I ask him in? No, bad idea, very bad idea. I didn’t want to be rude, but dumping me with no explanation could also be considered an impolite action. Nope, he was not stepping foot in my home.

“Last call was thirty minutes ago,” I said.

“Halloween doesn’t officially end until midnight. You mean it’s too late for a little sugar before the clock strikes twelve?” He tauntingly asks.
The double meaning wasn’t lost on me, but I would have no part of it. “I’m dieting. Too much sugar is bad for your health,” I replied.

He hadn’t put much thought in his costume. He was dressed in an old fifties style suit that looked like it could have belonged to his father. Then he painted his face green and added ghastly red blood-like streaks across his face and was wearing “bubba teeth.” He looked like Ward Clever met Frankenstein with Billy Bob’s teeth. But when I looked into those eyes, I could have melted all over again. All the ghoul in the world would not hide those big beautiful blue eyes. “Oh no” I thought, “I’m wavering.” “Look at the green forehead, not the blue eyes,” I told myself.

“Boy this takes stalking to a whole new level.” I quipped.

Laughing he asked “How have you been?” Not an original line, but there was a touch of tenderness in his voice. Again, I wavered. Halloween was not a holiday for the faint hearted. I must stand strong against the monster of my past or this would be the beginning of a whole new nightmare.

“Well I haven’t had to resort to going door to door to beg for sugar.” The sarcasm was definitely detectable in my voice. Good. I was staying strong.

“Can you park your broom for just a moment?” he asked. “It wasn’t easy to come over here.”

Ouch! I was supposed to be delivering the zingers; he was intruding on my space. “Why did you?”

“I felt we needed to talk.”

Ah-oh! I think I winced. Did I do that on the outside or just in my mind?

“What was that?”

“What?”

“That face you made that looked like you just bit into a lemon.”

“Oh. I thought I saw a little lizard run across the porch.” Quick recovery! Good job!

“Don’t worry I’ll protect you.”

Great! Now he is going to be my knight in shiny armor and slay the five inch dragon that lives beneath the stoop and eats the pesky bugs before they can enter my house.

“I’m not afraid of the lizard. I am afraid of what chases it. Last spring I was on the patio reading the morning paper and having a cup of coffee. It was a perfect day. I saw a flicker out of the corner of my eye and little lizard scurried across the pavement with a big black snake right on its tail! I screamed and jumped on the table! The noise startled the snake and distracted him from the lizard. However, his attention was then focused on me. He sat still for a moment then slowly slithered away. I sat on the patio table for about half an hour. I finally got brave enough to sprint to the door, which was only about three feet away. I ran inside, slammed the door behind me and locked it. I guess I thought the snake could get in if I didn’t lock it!”

We both laughed at my silliness. We were comfortable with each other, enjoying each other’s company. I had broken the ice. This was not a good move.

His voice got serious, “I’ve missed you. I know I made some terrible mistakes with us and you probably don’t ever want to speak to me again. Can we at least be friends?”

“I’ve missed you too,” I responded sincerely. “And yes, yes and no. We both made mistakes and we both have had time to reflect. While I don’t think the means justified the end, I do believe the end was the right thing to do. I have a great life now and I don’t want to visit old monsters.” Zing! I was the one slaying dragons tonight. I didn’t need a knight in shining armor to rescue me. “I know you’re genuinely sorry and so am I. It was great – albeit painful – learning experience. I’m grateful for the wisdom and have grown from the mistakes we both made. Let’s not be haunted by old ghosts.”

We both groaned at the bad pun. I couldn’t resist saying it, but it did lighten a serious moment.

“I know you’re right. I just needed to see you.”

We stood on the porch for what seemed like an awkward eternity.

“It’s getting late and all of the trick-or-treaters under the age of 35 have gone for the evening. I need to call it a night,” I said.

“Okay. I’m leaving.” Looking a little sad, he turned to go.

“Oh wait! I have something for you.”

He spun around with a big smile on his face anticipating his surprise. I grabbed the remaining bag of candy and handed it to him.

“It’s not good having the nasty temptation of sugar lying around!”

He did not receive the treat he had hoped for when he rang my door bell. But for me, closing the door on my past was the best Halloween treat I ever got.

Word Count: 982
© Copyright 2006 Isabella (lauren7882 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1174074-The-Last-Monster-on-Halloween