*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1178729-Friday-The-Thirteenth
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Entertainment · #1178729
Strange things can happen on the night of the witching hour.


The house set fifty yards from the small dirt road on Maple Street. It's huge form was lurching as if it would swallow you up rather than let you pass. Rickety shingles lifted up and rattled everytime the wind blew. Screetching and shreaking, the house played out it's own terrifying tune as it sat above the world around it.

Cathy and her friends had to walk past it everytime they traveled the road for school. Her best friend Lisa, would tease her because she would always shiver when they took their rout that went through the yard. It cut about twenty minutes off of thier time if they went straight through.

Cathy always wanted to speak up and say that it wasn't as if they were in a hurry or something to arrive at school and start their work. So they really didn't have to go that way. But she was afriad they would just pick on for it. Calling her a scardy cat or something of the same effect.

She always wondered why she had any friends at all because she really didn't fit in. She was a bookworm and dressed different than the rest of them. She was quite pudgy and when she smiled, you could tell her teeth were a little crooked. Not to mention that her glasses were thick lensed and way too big for her round face.

But even thought she didn't like the way she looked, she figured her friends must not mind, so that always made her feel a little better. She had moved to Terry Glen after her mother died, a year and a half ago. And she didn't think she would ever learn to like the small town. But after summer was over and she and her younger brother started at Terry Middle School she found that the kids were really nice.

Back in Texas she didn't like the schools at all. The teachers were mean and the students were cruel. Always making fun of her and telling her that she didn't belong. After her mother died she couldn't take it anymore. She started fighting back at the one's who taunted her.

When she got expelled for the third time in two months her father decided that things just were not working out and they picked up and moved. And now she supposed that had been the best thing that could ahve ever happened to her.

_____________________________(2.)__________________________

Lisa and Cathy were giggling with the rest of the girls when they reached the school yard. Miss. Lee was standing on the steps and they could see that Pauly had been pulling pranks again. Miss. Lee had him by the ear and he was pleading and promising that he would never do whatever it was that he had been doing, again.

Cathy laughed along with everyone else, but she laughed harder and louder because she didn't want anyone else to know that she had a huge crush on Pauly. She had liked him ever since her first day. She loved his dark, thick, curly hair and the way it gleamed in the sunlight and his rosey cheeks shown like jewels in the snow against his fair skin.

Her friends raced inside and she folled, not even daring a second glance back at the boy of her dreams. Cathy and Lisa had homeroom together and as they parted from the crowd and wove a path to their seats the bell stopped ringing and Mr. Snow stood up to welcome the class.

"Good morning students, I see everyone made it today. Ah, Mr. Marks could you please put away your lunch sack as exciting as it's contents may be, and pay attention" he spoke in his pleasant voice. Cathy always thought he sounded like a chime. The way his voice twinkled ina rythmic tune everytime he spoke. And as he turned to write on the blackboard, Lisa leaned over and whispered to Cathy "hey, Cat, I saw how you were looking at Pauly today, do you like him or something" Cathy's face deepend from it's usual pink tint to a bright red shade. "If you do like him, I promise I won't tell anyone. Come on you can tell me, I swear".

Cathy shook her head vigarously in a 'no' response and pulled out her books for her next class. Lisa smiled and shrugged her shoulders, "I guess I was just seeing things", then in a louder voice she asked Cathy if she wanted to go to the party at Christie's house next week.

She knew that Christie's parents were going to go to Canada and she was going to get everyone together. But, she never thought she would get invited. "Pauly's going to be there, but I know you doin't care", Lisa siad with a grin on her face. "Well, he is cool" Cathy said in a low voice thick with shy embarassment.

Before she could say anything else, Mr. Snow was dismissing the class and the bell for first period rang loud. Lisa didn't have math next period with Cathy, so they said their goodbyes and parted ways until lunch.

_____________________________(3.)________________________________

Lunch was the same as usual, everyone gathered at the center tables after collecting their trays of food and they all laughed and talked about their day. But even with all the chatter, Cathy hadn't been able to let go of Pauly's image. Still thinking about how cute he was she felt a smack on her arm.

"CAT! What's with you today? You haven't said anything the whole time we have been here" Lisa said in a loud shout. "Oh, I'm sorry, I just keep thinking about my math test tomorrow. I really need to study", she shrugged and tried to cover her embarassment.

Then after it seemed like forever, Lisa said okay and everyone started chatting again. Releived, Cathy joined in the conversation and found that they were all talking about Christie's Halloween party friday night.

The word going around was that she wasn't having the party at her house this year because last year she got in trouble when the kids knocked over a few of her mom's knick-knacks and broke them.

So everyone was trying to guess where she was going to have it at this year. "I think it's going to be here at the school. I heard that her dad has keys to the gum because her parents donate so much money during the school year". Everyone looked at Megan McDonald while she finished her statement.

"Nah, they aren't going to give him a key just for that. I think it's going to be at the old Maple Mansion". Everyone gasped, Cathy almost shot chocolate milk across the table. They all stared at Jessy for what she had just said.

Everyone was thinking it but no one wanted to be the first to say it. But Jessy never cared what she said. Cathy remembered back in third period last year, when she had just started here and they had Mr. Snow. Jessy had said to him in class one day that he had dog dung all over his shoes. Everyone busted out laughing, but Jessy never cracked a smile. "I thougth he would want to know" she had said factually.

"Oh, my gosh! The Maple Mansion?" Lisa said in a very high-pitched voice. Everyone looked sick. Cathy didn't understand why they all looked so shocked and upset. She knew she didn't like the place because it gave her the creeps, but how come no one else liked the house? She was about to ask when Megan spoke. Cathy, you probably don't know this, but that place is haunted" everyone shook their heads in agreence.

"Oh? Really?" Cathy asked curiously. "Yeah! Man, two years ago when I came here from Boone, Missouri there was a girl that lived up there on Maple Street and she said that she stayed there one night and the place made her go crazy. I heard that now she is in the looney bin" she said with a far-away look in her eye.

"Well, how come no one ever talks about that place? Anything else ever happen there?" Cathy asked quizically. But no one answered before the bell rang and it was time for them to go back to class.

"Lisa, how come everyone is so scared of the Maple house" Cathy asked her friend quietly. But Lisa said she would tell her later because she was going to be late for class and she scurried off towards her locker.

Now Cathy was really curious about what secrets the students knew about the house on the hill.

____________________________(4.)_______________________________

On the walk home everyone was quiet. As they passed the old house on their way home no one spoke but hurried along to their destinations. That's when Cathy decided she was going to call Jessy as soon as she reached her house. After she put her back pack down and checked to see if they had recieved any calls she went to her brothers room to see that he was playing a playstation game. "Hey Alex, when did you get home?" she asked. He looked up after pausing his game, "ten minutes ago I think. You want to see what I made in art class today? It's really cool!" he beamed happily.

Cathy knew that their mother's death had also pained Alex, even though he didn't show it that often. She knew that he still missed her and had nightmares sometimes about her death and the accident.

He was two years younger than her, but they were still pretty close all the same. She felt like he looked up to her sometimes, and so she tried to set the best example she could for him.

After he showed her the picture he had drawn of his favorite super hero she hugged him even though he yelled that he was too old for hugs. Then she let him pull away and get back to his game as she hurried off to the phone to call Jessy.

_____________________________(5.)_____________________________

Two rings and then, "Hello?" Jessy yelled loudly into her end of the reciever. Cathy cringed and then spoke, "Hey, Jess this is Cat, I wanted to ask you about the Maple Mansion". The other end was quiet, "Hello? Are you there Jessy?" she tentively asked. "Yeah, I'm here" Jessy responded. Then she started to unfold the story behind the strange house on the hill.

After hearing Jessy's story and saying goodbye she hung up with chills still running down her spine. "Cathy, you okay?" Alex asked from behind her. "Yeah, Alex, I'm good, heh" she struggled a smile.

Alex walked back into his room and Cathy moved on towards her own. Sinking back onto her bed she thought about all she had heard. Then she dismissed most of it as just crazy talk because there's no way all that could have really happened, "is it?" she asked herself aloud.

_______________________________(6.)_________________________

At the dinner table, after ordering pizza Cathy asked her dad if he had ever heard anything about the house on Maple Street. "Well nothing except that it's been empty for a really long time". He raised his eyebrows and asked what she had heard.

She repeated everything she had heard from Jessy earlier in teh day. When she had stopped talking her father could tell she had been spooked by her friends' recollection of events that had supposedly taken place at the abandoned house. He smiled and spoke, "honey, you know how childern are. They frighten their selves with the stories they concoct. Don't be silly, you know that's just crazy. A whole family murdered huh? Well, how long has this Jessy girl been living in this town?" he asked with a slight grin on his face. "Well, her family has been here since the beginning of WWII, but I think she said she's been living here since she was two". Her father held his chin for a moment "and how old is she now? About your age, right?" he asked her. "Yes, I think she's thirteen too. So that's eleven years dad. That's along time. And her brother, he's eighteen, and he told her that alot of stuff has happend too. And he would know because he's been here a long time!" she said while she drew out the long part to emphasize her point.

"Well, I'm sorry to dissapoint you kiddo, but there is a library across the street from the bank I go to and I have never seen anything about those events in the old nespapers. Remember when I was researching our house to see how long it has been here for the renovations? Well I looked up the town and never saw any headlines even close to any of that".

Cathy had to admit that his story made more sense. And really to be honest she felt better hearing that the grusome murders were just a made up story that her friends had heard for so long tha tthey started to believe.

After dinner she went to bed and was able to let go of the rumors and get some sleep. She felt better knowing that if she were allowed to go to the Halloween party next week seh wouldn't be attending it at a place that housed the tortured souls of murdered town's people.

And as she drifted off to sleep, the face of her crush rinally made it's way back to the for front of her mind.

______________________________(7.)_________________________

The says seemed to fly by and friday was now only a day away. And she had managed to totally forget about all she had heard about Maple Mansion last week. Occupied with loads of school work and home work and the busy chatter of the friends she surrounded herself with, she was actually looking forward to the party.

The party's location had finally been revealed and the place was indeed the house on the hill. Everyone was still a little shaky but it was fun to think about the party and how awsome it would be to have in an old and very creepy house.

Christie had said she had worked on the party decorations for the last month, cleaning up and getting things ready. Cathy had asked her dad if she could go and he had surprised her by saying yes and even offering to pay for a new outfit for the party.

She knew he still felt bad about her mother's passing and wanted to spoil her and her brother as much as possible. Of course she didn't mind being spoiled, but she felt bad that it was being done only because of their mother's death.

The party was going to be a costume party and Cathy wanted to be a princess. She felt pretty when she slipped into her pink gown and placed her crown on top of her perfectly curled hair. She decided to leave her glasses at home and adorned herself with as much glitter as she could sprinkle on her face, hair and clothes.

She gave herself a quick glance in the mirror and hoped that Pauly would like what she had chosen to do with herself for the party.

_____________________________(8.)___________________________

Once she met up with Lisa and the rest of the girls they all beamed at her and raved over her outfit. Lisa later whispered in her ear "I know Pauly will love it!" and Cathy smiled and replied "I sure hope so".

Lisa smiled back and they made their way up the tall staircase to the top floor of the house where the party was already underway.

The music was great and the food was good. Everything was perfect and Cathy even got to dance with Pauly. He had come with a date but she didn't know the girls' name. Lisa told her that she was from another school and Cathy tried to see what he liked about her.

She was thin and dressed like a kitty cat with her long blonde, silver hair down to her waist. Cathy thought she was pretty even though her mask covered her forehead and eyes. He danced closely with her most of the night, then she asked if he would like to dance with her and he surprisingly said yes. Then in the middle of the dance a strange but handsome boy cut-in and she danced with him.

He had the most intense blue eyes. And Cathy thought he was cuter than Pauly. He told her his name was Sean and asked if she wanted to go up to one of the rooms on the third floor to talk more where it was quiet.

She was going to tell Lisa where she was going, but she couldn't find her. So she accepted his hand and they assended the long stairs to the bedrooms above.

____________________________(9.)___________________________

Lisa looked around for Cathy but didn't see her anywhere. She knew she had been dancing with Pauly not that long ago and so when she spotted him she approached him to ask where Cat had gone. "Hey, oh sorry, excuse me, Pauly, have you seen Cat around? I know she was dancing with you". Pauly turned towards her and replied "well, I was, but then some dude came and broke in, she was dancing with him last time I saw her".

Lisa was shocked to learn that Cathy had let some other boy interrupt her dance with Pauly. She said okay to Pauly and went around asking if anyone else had seen this mysterious boy with Cathy. No one could say who he was, so she started to worry. She tried to find Christie to ask if she had invited anyone else from a different school.

_____________________________(10.)___________________________

Sean told Cathy that he used to live in the house. That the room he had taken her to used to be his. Then he started drifting off and calling her Emma. She tried to tell him her name was not Emma, but Cathy. He just wouldn't listen.

He got mad when she interrupted him and he grabbed her arm, hard. She had, had enough and decided to get out of there. She tore loose of his grip and ran down the stairs as fast as she could without tripping on her gown.

Once she had reached the dance floor she saw Lisa and Christie running toward her. The party had stopped. Everyone was leaving and they could hear sirens outside, in the distance.

Before Cathy could say what had happened Christie and Lisa had dragged her outside and the police ran inside and upstairs.

"Cathy! You are so lucky. That guy you were with, he was a killer. He was the one that murdered his family here", Christie said frightfully. "Cat, I can't believe you went off with him like that, I was scared to death". Cathy couldn't understand what they were saying. Then Pauly came up and hugged her. He said how glad he was to see her and that she was alright.

He stood back and looked at her arm. It was already bruised a deep purple starting to swell, made by Sean's heated grip only a few moments earlier. "Did he do that to you Cathy? I'm going to kill him!" The girls looked at her arm too and that only convinced them further that he was a killer.

"That boy, Sean Mullins, he used to live here when we were in school a couple years ago. He went crazy because his parents beat him. He killed them three years ago on this day, October, friday the thirteenth.

They had him locked up at the mental hospital but he escaped, tonight, and came here. I guess he thought you were his sister. Emma, his little sister was killed too. Because she didn't want to leave with him, he killed her!" Lisa exclaimed.

"Oh my gosh, so everything that Jessy said was true? I was almost killed by the Maple Mansion Maniac?" Cathy gaspt and started to scream but no sound came out.

Right then she turned to see the police walking the cuffed boy out of the house and then to the potrol car. A cop came up and asked "Miss, are you okay? Did he hurt you?" but she could no longer speak. She had drifted into her own world. No longer able to utter another recognizable sound again...

__________________________THE END____________________________

© Copyright 2006 RissyRoo (woodiezwifey at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1178729-Friday-The-Thirteenth