*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1178730-Perfect-Match
Rated: E · Short Story · Romance/Love · #1178730
1st paragraph is a prompt & had to feature in the story (I'm every bit the novice!)
She inhaled, holding her breath momentarily before exhaling. She lifted her foot and planted it squarely on the first step as she began her descent. Fate waited below. It was fate she didn’t know how to escape. She could turn and run, but run where? It seemed wisest to go forward and make the best of it, but she hesitated again anyway.

Could she really go through with this? She turned around to make a run for it… looking for an exit – any exit would do! But where could she run? They had all the exits blocked off, and were surrounding her. Did they know? Did they know she really didn’t want to be here? Or were they punishing her – some kind of karma?

She thought back to moments that had brought her here. Her friends had all thought it a good idea at the time, a great laugh! She didn’t even know about it until she had received the call – what a shock to the system that was! Of all the things her friends could have done to her – this was possibly the worst one yet!

But she was here now – she may as well go through with it – it’s not like they were going to give her any other choice! She’d been single for a long time now… the one guy she did like didn’t even know she existed. She had seen him everyday now for the past 8 months… but she was too shy to approach him. How do you ask a stranger for a date anyhow?

She took another step as they said her name. This was it! She put her best foot forward, smiled and approached the TV Host of “Perfect Match” as he led her toward the wall that separated her from her fate. He would be on the other side – her anonymous date whom she had chosen via a selection of answers three contestants had given to three questions she had asked. How are you meant to find anyone who is compatible on three questions?!

Contestant No 2 did have something going for him though… not only were his answers witty – he had the sexiest voice… it sounded almost familiar… and made her go weak at the knees whenever he spoke.

She had already met Contestant No 1 and 3 – while they seemed nice enough, they just didn’t have the spark – even the consolation kisses felt meek and cold. What on earth would Contestant No 2 kiss like? Let alone look like? She was going to have to punish her friends for putting her through this!!

“Loretta Parry, meet your Perfect Match – Harvey Tucker” the TV Host announced, as the wall separating them slid away… Loretta gazed into the most striking blue eyes she had ever seen.

“It’s you” they both said at once. It was her dream guy!! The very one she had been secretly admiring for the past 8 months as they shared the daily bus ride into the city and back each day – the one she was too scared to approach!

“I’m sorry?” she said as she realized he had spoken also.

“It’s you! The girl from the bus – I didn’t think I’d ever get to meet you – let alone go on a date with you!” he smiled that dreamy smile she had fallen in love with the first day he caught her bus.

“You’ve both won a romantic trip to Singapore – all expenses paid” Loretta heard the TV Host announce as Harvey leaned in to steal a kiss. The world closed in around her as the sparks flew between them – both lost in the moment.

They came back down to earth as the TV Host cleared his throat; looking a little flushed in the face as he spoke to the audience. Loretta was going to have to reward her devious friends rather well – of course, they weren’t to know that Harvey was going to be on the show – but they certainly deserved to be spoiled for making her meet her Fate!

Loretta was still grinning ear to ear, gazing into Harvey’s eyes as the TV Host announced “this looks like the start of something wonderful here! Thanks for watching Perfect Match, goodnight Australia!”
© Copyright 2006 Ren King (renking at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1178730-Perfect-Match