*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1178826-Why-I-Ride-the-Triple
Rated: · Other · Sports · #1178826
A description of bicycle ride
Why I ride the Triple By-Pass

Contrary to what the name implies, the Triple By-Pass is a picturesque, one day bicycle ride in the Rocky Mountains between Bergen Park and Avon, Colorado. Its scenic 120 mile route generally follows westbound US I- 70 along lightly traveled access roads and bike paths. It crosses three mountain passes: Squaw (11,140 feet), Loveland (11,990 feet), and Vail (10,560 feet) and accumulates 10,000 feet of elevation gain. Generally held the second Saturday of July, it started in 1988 with a handful of riders and now has grown to over 3500 riders for the one day event. Supporting the courageous cyclist, Team Evergreen strategically placed five aid stations to provide loud music, cheering supporters, water and snacks for weary riders. Sag support is also accessible for those who develop mechanical problems during the ride. Colorado State Troopers and local police direct traffic at locations where the route crosses major roads or intersections.

While picturesque and scenic, the ride is not for the timid or the uninitiated. Three ugly climbs transport the rider above 10,000 feet where the air is cool and oxygen is difficult to find. “Suck’n air” becomes a new reality, a new challenge! It’s the last two miles of each major climb where the gradient becomes the steepest, the air the thinnest and your legs the tireist. The first major climb of the day begins immediately after starting: Squaw Pass, 16 miles from the start to the crest, a gain of 2300 feet. The second climb, from Idaho Springs to the crest of Loveland Pass, is 25 miles of rolling terrain until you pass Georgetown and then it’s up and up and up. The second toughest climb is the 6 mile stretch along US I -70 between the Bakerville’s exit and Loveland Pass exit. Here it is noisy, hot because it’s nearly mid day, has an unrelenting 6% grade and if there’s any significant wind, it’s in your sweaty face. You are 50 miles into the journey and still facing the second major pass of the day, looming directly ahead of you. The freeway shoulder is crowded with riders, with the swiftest constantly passing you, crowding you towards the edge of the pavement. That popular song plays in your ears “Why am I here”. Between Loveland Pass and Vail Pass, you are treated to a short 3 mile intense climb up Swan Mountain before arriving at the fourth aid station. Vail Pass is the last climb of the day. It’s not as high as the previous passes or as steep, but mentally it’s the toughest. You enviously watch novice cyclist gliding easily down the bike path while you struggle upwards. You’re nearing the end of a long day in the saddle and unless you’ve kept yourself well hydrated and well fed, you’re exhausted. The last five miles from Copper Mountain to the crest is where you find out what you are really made of: diamond or plastic.

Upon cresting Squaw, Loveland, and Vail Mountains, you put on your wind vest, push back to the rear of the seat, grip the drops lightly, spread your winds and swoop down the sinuous road before you. Speeding down a 7 % grade at 50 mph, sweeping gracefully though curves and switchbacks, you are a dive bombing hawk. However, a month prior to the Triple, I overhaul my bike and replace the old tires with new ones. These fast descents are not for the timid or the ill-prepared.

The most rewarding downhill is after cresting Vail Pass. At the aid station you enjoy the refreshing watermelon, fill up your water bottles, and rest for the finale: 30 miles of awesome downhill. You fly passed condos, golf courses, pedestrians, buses, through the roundabouts of Vail and hammer into Avon. Often you can connect with a fast group of riders and pace line through Vail and into Avon. Even if that obnoxious west wind howls in your face, who cares? You’re flying.

While the downhills are fantastic, I ride the Triple for the challenge. I train all year for the 120 mile ride by doing intervals on the flats, bicycling to and from work, and on the weekends riding in the mountains. I’ve completed the ride 13 times, and at 64, the 2007 Triple will give me the opportunity to once again challenge myself.
© Copyright 2006 Serotta (brous1942 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1178826-Why-I-Ride-the-Triple