*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1178989-Chasing-Her-Dreams-Chaper-Six
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Bree
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Romance/Love · #1178989
Little Fawn and Holden have their first encounter with each other.
Every bone in Little Fawn’s fragile body ached. They had been riding for three days now in search of good hunting. All the training in the world couldn’t have prepared Little Fawn for this. She had parts that throbbed every time she took a breath. She had aches in places she didn’t know could ache until now.

She had been so thankful that they were going home now after having a successful hunt. When they had come upon the pack of deer yesterday she took a few minutes to say a silent prayer in thank to the gods. They were now on their journey home with a plentiful supply of pelts with them. They had covered a lot of ground today and she suspected them to be able to make it back to the village before the sun set tomorrow. But that would be tomorrow. Right now she was wishing for Running Bear to scout for the campsite for tonight.

At the head of the warriors Running Bear held up a hand to inform all his warriors to halt.

“Whoa. This is where we rest for the night,” he said as he slowed his stallion to a halt.

Being informed of the night’s resting place by their war chief, all the warriors dismounted their horses and soon found places to tie them for the night. They quickly seen to the need of their individual horse and then unloaded only what was a necessity for the night.

As she brushed Spirit down, Little Fawn looked over her shoulder at the moon that was taking its place where the setting sun had been. She felt filthy! She had not been able to bathe for two days and after a long hunt she was in desperate need of doing so. The moon was already high in the night sky and if she guessed right it would be bright enough tonight for her to sneak from camp long enough to enjoy the chance to cleanse herself. She could only hope that the refreshing, cool water would calm and regenerize her so she could drift of to sleep.

Later that night after everyone had filled their bellies and had drifted off to sleep, Little Fawn quietly walked over to Spirit and got a clean buckskin shirt and fringed leggings. She was afraid if she had gotten them earlier she would cause suspension and they would place a guard over her for the night. She guessed that no matter how hard she tried to prove her worth as a warrior, she would always be just a weak, fragile maiden in their eyes. After exhaling a deep breath, she gathered the rest of her things and disappeared into the woods.

She made it to the river and after a quick look to be certain she had not wakened anyone and they had followed her, she shed her doeskin clothing. The night air was cool on her naked skin and she noticed that the night was not as cool for this time of year.

The river seemed to welcome her into its cool currents as she waded into the middle. The water was so refreshing and inviting to her that she soon found herself swimming and splashing around in the invigorating waters. It felt so good to have the sweat and dirt of the last few days washed off.
*******************

Holden sat lazily by the warm fire, watching the flames dance and reviewing his newly built cabin when he heard what he could have sworn was splashing coming from the river. But what on earth would be making all that commotion. Maybe it was a wounded animal that had somehow made its way into the river and couldn’t escape its currents.

He quickly arose and made his way through the woods and the dense brush in search cause of the noise. An animal had to be the reason for the disturbance. Upon his arrival he was proven wrong. Instead of there be some distressed animal in the current, there stood a woman. He wanted to make sure there was nothing wrong with the woman so he waded out to find out.

Little Fawn froze. Behind her was the sound of splashing but she couldn’t bring herself to turning around to prove herself wrong. Everything in her body told her she was no longer alone.

As she slowly turned around, she discovered that there was now a man in the river with her. A white man at that and there she was exposed in her nakedness. She quickly covered her breast with her arms and she could feel every inch of her body inflame with embarrassment.

“Is everything alright? I heard splashing from the river at my cabin and didn’t know if what something might be wrong. Are you hurt in anyway ma’am?” Holden asked as he made his way closer to the woman but not to close to alarm her.

He was struck by her beauty the moment her dark brown eyes met his. She was the most beautiful woman he had seen. He was so taken by her that he simply stared at her in amazement. She was clearly an Indian. Her dark skin and raven hair confirmed this. He was simply bewitched by her. How could there be something so beautiful standing right there in front of him?

“Yes…, I’m fine. I was just trying to bathe,” Little Fawn said nervously.

The man standing in front of her took her breath away. He was the best looking man she had ever witnessed. His eyes made her legs feel weak and she thought they would surely fail her is she had to take a step. His eyes were simple captivating and she thought they could see straight to her very soul.

“Oh well, I’m sorry I’m intruding on your bath ma’am. I guess I’ll let you get back to it ‘cause I’m sure you don’t need none of my help,” Holden said with a laugh.

Little Fawn giggled. The handsome stranger appeared to have a sense of humor, a quality she had always looked for. She loved to laugh and liked being around people that made her.

“I think I’ve got it under control,” Little Fawn said with a smile.

The woman was so exquisite. Everything about her made his heart pound out of his chest. Her smile had taken his heart prisoner. He had never felt this way about a woman before. But this woman did. He didn’t even know her name and she was an Indian. Why was she having this effect on him?

“My name is Holden by the way. I live just up the bank. I’ll be going now. Have a good bath,” he said as he started in the direction of his cabin. He had reached the opposite side before she could reply with her name.

Little Fawn watched as Holden disappeared into the woods. Holden she said his name to herself. The name seemed to fit him perfectly, even though she didn’t know how. Maybe it was in the way he carried himself as he walked with such ease.

Little Fawn shook the thoughts of the handsome stranger from her head. She was a warrior and she was almost positive warriors didn’t fill their thoughts of thing that just couldn’t be. She had been taught her whole life that the white men meant danger and a relationship with one was out of the question. So she would just have to push all thoughts of him out of her mind.

She quickly finished bathing. During the time she was in the river she had got cold and by the time she could make it to her warm clothing her teeth was chattering. She quickly pulling on the buckskin shirt and fringed leggings. After she was dressed she started making her way back to the camp.

When she made it back, she found everything just as she had left it. All the warriors were still in their sound slumbers and best of all none of them had a clue that she had left and in her time gone had an encounter with a man. A white man that made her legs tremble. She was thankful that at sunrise they would wake up and not be any wiser.

She tried the rest of night to rid Holden from her mind but no matter how hard she tried she failed horribly. She went to bed thinking of his face. She wondered what he was doing. Was he tucked away in his cabin dreaming or thinking of her?

She was upset with herself for letting him have such an effect on her. She made a mental list of all the things that was wrong with her feeling for him. She didn’t know a thing about him. He didn’t even have to touch her but yet his present along made her feel shaky. Even when she was in the river she wondered what his touch on her naked skin would have felt like. She didn’t even know if she had caught those breathe taking blue eyes of his for a second.

But she wanted to know him. Wanted to feel his touch. She wanted her face to be all he could envision. She wanted this more than anything at the moment.

Then she thought that maybe he was laying in his bed dreaming about her. Wishing for only her touch upon his skin. Oh, how she had some kind of effect on him somehow.

She wanted to see Holden again. She would be leaving with the warriors in the morning but she knew this place well. It wasn’t very far from her village. Spirit and she would have to sneak away long enough for her to get another glimpse of him. That would have to do her for a little while so that meant she would have to do just that. She would see Holder again soon. She just had too!
© Copyright 2006 Bree (dreamcather at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1178989-Chasing-Her-Dreams-Chaper-Six