*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1182520-Red-and-White-Mom
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Inspirational · #1182520
Hope must never give in...
          She walked through the bustling airport terminal alone and depressed. All around her, bright successful people and shiny furniture glittered in the afternoon sun.

          Dorine Johnson had an air of command and also of friendliness woven into the fabric of her soul. At twenty-five, she thought the world had passed her by, though, not realizing her attractive features even when she looked in the mirror: tall, slender, with intelligent gray eyes, small nose and ever smiling lips. Even as her soul cried out in frustration, she was the picture of healthy living. Only inside were her wounds.

          As she looked around, Dorine's observant nature took in the yellow and white section. Sun-Moon Airways was bustling with business; people were actively unloading one of their planes. Passengers being greeted by relatives; baggage being picked up. There was no life more satisfying than being airport personnel of one sort or another. Not even her past could argue with that thought.

          The next section was red and white. A faded FFJ Airways sign hung on the flaking painted wall. No passengers; no luggage; but a few harried-looking officials sat around all arguing simultaneously with no one in particular. Now this atmosphere piqued Dorine's curiousity. In the midst, a boy, perhaps three years old, with filthy clothes and an injured look in his eyes, toddled from one to another looking for attention.

          What was it about this pitiful piece of humanity in the midst of the argumental group? Dorine studied the scene. Amazing eyes. That was it. Bright blue, intelligent, and hungry for love. She picked him up and he immediately wrapped his arms around her neck and snuggled into her shoulder. "What's your name?" she asked him.

          At that instant the room became totally silent and all eyes turned to the stranger in their midst. One of the group, a tall redhead with freckles and short- cropped hair, approached Dorine.

          "Can I help you? My name is Katy."

          Dorine felt oddly pleased that someone had noticed her in the confusion. It never occurred to her that she was behaving peculiarly. Not once did she consider that her action could have been taken as a kidnapping attempt. "I'm looking for a job but it looks like the job came to me."

          Katy and the others looked startled. "But we can't..." she began and then stopped abruptly, looking for the first time quite helpless. She turned toward the others in her confusion, quite forgetting the ugly words spoken to her only moments before. "Well?" She looked severely at the two older men in the group.

          The arguments rose and fell in the red and white section. Dorine would easily have slid into oblivion among the masses, except that the child stirred in her arms bringing her solidly back into the present. She decided she'd take the initiative.

          "Katy, whose child is this?" Dorine demanded attention and the room fell silent once more.

          Katy turned slowly, appraising Dorine. Apparently she liked what she saw for she answered, "He belongs to our cargo pilot. His name is Matthew. He's almost four." She fell silent again, as if realizing the others were silent, too.

          Dorine said brightly, "You all seem pretty busy. I have nothing to do right now and Matthew seems to trust me. Could you show me his things? I'd be happy to get him cleaned up while you have your discussion..." She faded out, appalled at her boldness, and yet it seemed the right thing to do.

          "So how much do you charge, Missy?" one of the older men snarled.

          Dorine blinked. "Why, nothing, " she countered. "I just need someone to care for... I mean something to do."

          "Ha - you think..." the older man stopped abruptly as Katy glanced at him. With that, the arguing began again, more heatedly than before.

          A petite dark-haired beauty slipped over to Dorine. She whispered gently, "This is a really bad time for our company, but here is Matthew's bag. He's still in diapers," she finished apologetically.

          "Oh that's alright. I don't mind. Really I don't. Where can I clean him up?" Dorine found she was whispering too.

          "Across the lobby and through the big doors; then go left through the double gray doors. There's a staff kitchen and restroom area in there. My name is Karen, by the way."

          "Thanks," Dorine flung over her shoulder as she hurried with her arms full. The odor of dirty diaper was becoming overpowering. She easily followed the directions given, and found the facility as Karen had described.

          Dorine sat Matthew on a low couch and explored the area. To her delight, she found a large sink, a refrigerator, a washer and dryer. She hurried back to Matthew, who was regarding her with his solemn blue eyes. "Matthew," she said brightly, "we're going to give you a good bath, wash all your clothes and then find you something good to eat. First, let's get you out of those dirty things."

          Matthew sat quietly while Dorine dumped out the diaper bag contents on the couch and then stripped him of the filthy one piece pajama he was wearing. She was appalled to find him covered with a dreadful red diaper rash. "Matthew," she gasped, "how long has it been since you've had a bath?"

          To Dorine's amazement, Matthew spoke very clearly. "A long time, Mommy. Daddy was busy." Dorine's resolve to keep this child separate from her began melting with this proclamation.

          "Mommy, are you mad at Daddy?" Dorine gave her whole heart to this baby - the last holdout from past experiences of painful relationships.

          "No dearest, I'm not mad at your Daddy. Let's get a bath, what do you say?" Matthew nodded, still serious, but very trusting.

          I could walk right out of here with this baby and no one would even notice. But get real. I can't do that. Dorine's thoughts drifted off as she realized she was humming happily.

          Matthew loved his bath. Dorine spent a careful half-hour letting him play in the water while she gently sponged his sores. The diaper bag search had revealed more dirty pajamas, but no more diapers. She scooped the dirty clothes into the washer, added soap and started the machine. There was a box of powder and a tube of ointment she remembered from her own childhood in the bag, so someone must at least attempt to care for this child. While Matthew played in the bubbles, Dorine located towels and some food items she thought Matthew would enjoy in the kitchen cabinets.

          After drying Matthew with the big fluffy towel, Dorine smoothed the ointment into his sore skin. "Looks well fed, but starved for attention," she thought. Aloud, she said, "Matthew, we've got a problem. There aren't any more clean diapers here. Can you be a big boy and tell me when you have to use the bathroom?"

          Matthew gave her his best grin. "Yes, Mommy. Daddy put the diapers on me when we were flying because he couldn't take care of me and fly too." Dorine's eyebrows met her hairline as she pondered this amazingly matter of fact statement from this tiny child.

          "Well," she said crisply, "you tell me and you can be sure I will take you." Then she realized that sounded an awfully loy like a promise to a stranger. She hadn't even asked for a job yet!

          An hour later, Matthew's clothes were all clean, and he was dressed in a fresh pajama. Dorine gave him the sandwich she had made, and gathered his things, now folded neatly, placing them carefully into his bag. When she picked him up, Matthew's arms curled around her neck and held tightly. "I love you, Mommy," he whispered into her hair. Dorine couldn't help but wonder what in the world she was to do. This tiny child had placed his whole being in her hands. Was this the job she was searching for? She made up her mind to follow her heart and stepped bravely back into the terminal.

          No one was in the large waiting area where she had first encountered Katy, Karen and the others. But Dorine could hear voices from an inner office. Dorine slipped in the door and waited for a lull in the conversation.

          "Here's Matthew bathed, fed, and his things cleaned too. Thank you so much for letting me care for him." Katy turned to speak but was interupted by the same older man who had railed on Dorine earlier.

          "You want a job, little girl? Take care of that baby. We won't pay you but maybe you can get some cash outa his old man." He laughed bitterly and Katy turned on him.

          "You think you are so smart. You're not the only ones around here that need consideration. You..." Words failed Katy as she realized she'd overstepped the bound of employer - employee relations more than once this day. But to the surprise of all present, Karen rushed in to Katy's aid.

          "Katy's right. We are all tired of your attitude. Why don't you just sell us this worn out freight company and retire or something. Go meddle in someone else's life for a change.

          Sneering, the man looked around at the others. "If I were given one hundred dollars right now, Fred and I would get out immediately." He looked triumphant, as if he'd just won the entire argument singlehandedly. He didn't notice Dorine rummaging in her purse.

          "There's your hundred dollars, Mister. Write me a receipt and get out so we can get busy running this airline." The man grabbed the money and hastily wrote a receipt on a piece of torn letterhead. "There you go, little lady, and good riddance. You coming, Fred?"

          "What about your papers and stuff in the desk?" Katy now also faced them fearlessly.

          "Keep it," they snarled and walked out for the final time.

          After a few moments of stunned silence, Katy turned slowly toward Dorine. "I just can't believe you did that. No one else had the money or the courage."

          Dorine sat down abruptly in the just vacated office chair, still holding Matthew in her arms. "I can't believe I did that either. I've always wanted to work in the aviation field as some kind of manager, but I never dreamed it quite like this."

          A tall, lean, blond-haired man stepped in the door. "Where's Fred and Junior? I need-" All of a sudden, he seemed to realize something monumentous had just occurred. "Katy, Karen - what is going on? Did we hire this girl, and what, if I may ask are we supposed to pay her with?"

          "Mommy, I have to pee pee." Dorine hugged Matthew. "And at a good time too," she said smiling. She held Matthew possessively. "Let's go across the hall."

          "Mommy? And just who are you and where are you going with my son?"

          "You will have to wait. Matthew has to use the bathroom and you are out of diapers. I am going to take him because I promised him I would, and you can stay here and find out what is going on from Katy and Karen." Dorine swept by this stranger carrying his son in her arms and marched out of the room.

          "Well, obviously something is going on so why don't we start at the beginning? Hello, my name is Pete. When I left to service the plane, everyone was arguing as usual. When I come back, Fred and Junior are gone and my son is calling some strange woman Mommy. And whose idea was that?" Pete stopped for a breath while Katy and Karen exchanged glances.

          "That strange woman is the new owner of FFJ, Pete."

          "What?" Pete shouted. "Say that again! No wait. You better tell me from the beginning."

          Katy and Karen took a breath to begin as Dorine stepped back into the room leading Matthew by the hand. She sat down behind the battered desk, and Matthew crawled into Pete's lap. "Do you like my Mommy, Daddy? She's nice. And she smells good, too."

          "Look, Miss. I'm just trying to find out what is going on and why Matthew is calling you Mommy. His mommy died a few months back."

          "She is so too my Mommy, Daddy. She helped me in the bathroom and gave me a bath and washed my clothes and made me a sandwich. That's what Mommys are all about, Daddy."

          Pete's jaw dropped in surprise. "Matthew," he shouted, "you're talking. Why didn't you talk to me before, Son?"

          Matthew managed to add even more amazement to his daddy's thoughts. "Because you were busy flying, Daddy. I don't talk when you are busy."

          Now Karen chimed in. "He's right, you know. He's just following everybody else's example. Matthew talks to us sometimes, but we are usually too busy to listen." She turned to Dorine. "Why don't you tell Pete what just happened. I think I need to sit down. It's just too much." Karen turned to find Katy already flopped in a well-used overstuffed chair. Karen melted into the equally worn divan. Pete sat on the corner of the desk and looked expectantly at Dorine.

          Dorine looked from one face to another, seeing only friendly eyes. She felt only an air of encouragement. "Well," she began. "I lost my family when I was eighteen. There was a private plane crash, you see. My father and mother were both licensed to fly small aircraft. They didn't have a radio. They were flying my sister to Athens to attend my sister's wedding..." She paused, the wretchedness showing on her face.

          "Say, I remember that crash!" Pete broke in. "It was terrible, and they never found out what happened. I think it was after that crash that small planes were required to carry radios on overseas flights. Oh, I am so sorry. And I don't even know your name."

          Dorine took a deep breath, as if to clarify her thoughts. "Dorine Johnson is my name. I drifted from job to job and finally decided I'd never be happy again unless perhaps I could make a difference in flight control or airport management myself. Besides, I couldn't stand the loneliness. I listened to the arguments in this room earlier, and then I saw Matthew. I picked him up and it went from there."

          Pete frowned. "Ok, I see so far. But I don't understand how you came to own this ragged outfit."

          Dorine giggled. "That was pure impulse. When I got back with Matthew, those two men were arguing shamefully about how no one ever did anything around here and how they should fire the whole lot. To myself, I thought that there was enough pain in this world without adding more - and besides, this doesn't look like a very prosperous affair anyway. Finally the one announced that if he had a hundred dollars, he'd walk out forever, and the other one agreed. I had a hundred dollars in my purse, and before I thought twice, I paid them and they left."

          "I'd better go over to the coffee house and get an official signed receipt on a good letterhead, just in case they change their minds," said Pete. As he was leaving he suggested, "Why don't you girls tell Dorine about your jobs and how we have been operating."

          Karen told Dorine about her job as co-pilot. It seemed that Matthew flew with them all the time since Pete had no one he could trust to stay with Matthew. Katy handled all the paperwork and the customer relations, so she did not have time to watch Matthew much either.

                                       * * * * *

          In no time at all, Pete was back with not only a receipt for one hundred dollars, but also a letter stating the FFJ was now the property of Miss Dorine Johnson.

          Dorine gasped. "Just like that? Is it legal?" she asked incredulously.

          "Oh, they had to make fun of you and of us for sticking with you, but yes, just like that. Signed by two well-known honorable witnesses, so yes it is legal. It will have to be filed with the courthouse and with the FFA, of course. But that can wait until Monday, if you want. So, boss lady, what shall we do?"

          Dorine thought a moment. "I think the first thing we need to do is draw up a paper that states we all own Red and White Airways together."

          There was a concerted gasp from the entire group. "What?" screeched Katy.

          Dorine continued. "If we own Red and White together, then we make joint decisions, and we all work for the common good of the airline and ourselves as a group."

          Pete picked up on that quickly. "You mean, if we are working for ourselves, we will do a better job?"

          Dorine sighed happily. "Exactly. And you know something? I was looking for something new and challenging. I never dreamed a precious almost four-year-old would change my life in one afternoon."

          "Ok," said Pete. "Katy, why don't you type up an agreement. Be sure to change the company name to Red and White Airways. List all of us as the legal owners. Then we can take this to the courthouse today and start the process, since we don't have anything scheduled for today anyway."

          "After we finish at the courthouse," Dorine said, "let's all go to my house and we can talk out the details over supper. I've got some stuff in the freezer that won't take long to fix. It won't seem so lonesome with all of us there working together. I can't get used to the loneliness."

          "Matthew can't stand the loneliness either. You certainly have changed our lives today as well." Pete smiled at Dorine. "I didn't have much hope left, coming to work today, but it seems to be changing."

          Dorine grinned at all of them. "I guess my decision to step in as a Mommy wasn't such a bad idea after all. Red and White Mom - now that's got a nice ring to it. Maybe that should be the title of my position as part owner. I can take care of Matthew, and actually work in air cargo management at the same time. Now Saturday, I think we ought to shop for some new furniture and stuff for the customer area and the office. It helps business tremendously when you look prosperous. I'd like to see some kind of identifying uniform on all of us, too - something that makes people want to use Red and White Airways for all their cargo shipping needs... and we need a slogan like "Red and White - It's Always Right" or ...."
© Copyright 2006 Puppycat (puppycat at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1182520-Red-and-White-Mom