*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1183585-Invisible-Bond
Rated: E · Short Story · Friendship · #1183585
Friendship will blossom forever, while all other flowers decay.

“Fariha, dear, are you ready?” Mrs. Rownak Rahman sounded quite impatient. She did not like to wait for long.
“Coming, mom, just a minute please.” A soft voice replied immediately.
Soon after, a trimmed figure could be seen climbing down the stairs. Simple, white shoes matched with her uniform. A pair of bright brown eyes reflected intelligence.
“Run to the car, or you’ll be late for class.” Rownak gently kissed on her daughter’s forehead.
“Don’t worry mom, class starts at 9:00, it’s only 8:00 A.M. now.” Fariha smiled at her mother, bidding farewell.

About half an hour later, a little red colored car stopped in front of a large, green gate. Students of various ages could be seen scattered all around the campus. Some occupied themselves with basketball, many remained seated in cement benches, happily chatting with friends.

Slowly, Fariha got inside her classroom. Neat plastic chairs were placed in five rows. The white board was wiped clean. Some markers lay on the teacher’s desk. A colorful calendar hung on one of the walls. After a swift glance around, Fariha chose a seat beside the window.
“Good Morning!” About thirty students greeted as an elderly lady entered into the room.
“Good morning, class eight.” The lady replied calmly.

At recess, Fariha decided to go out for a little walk in the field. She roamed around, humming the tune of her favorite song. Some of the senior boys were playing her beloved game cricket at that moment. So she sat down on the grass like many others, with her eyes locked on the game.
“Hey sis, how am I bowling?” An attractive player smiled at Fariha.
“Great! Keep it up bro!” She answered, smiling back.


The boy mentioned previously was Fariha’s elder brother, Faisal. He was a student of the twelfth grade. Before her birth, their parents were in doubt whether Faisal would accept her or not, because some babies do not like siblings at first. Surprisingly, Faisal got attached to a two-month-old baby sister just at the age of three. They were bound in an inseparable bond.

The teenage girl never neglected her studies. Faisal’s encouragements kept her stuck to the reading desk. Every night, they sat with a small Casio keyboard. Sister’s melodious voice and brother’s magical fingers created a spell over everyone.

Fariha’s birthday was approaching. Rahman Villa was being newly decorated to dazzle the guests at the party. The guest list included both the sibling’s friends.
“Faisal, my boy, is all the arrangements done?” Rownak asked her son one afternoon.
“Sure mom, after all, its Fariha’s birthday!” Faisal replied, giving the last minute touches to the decorations.

She sat in her room, getting ready for the celebration. A mouth-watering chocolate cake had already arrived from the pastry shop. The cleaned furniture shone with a new coat of polish on them. One could see one’s reflection in the marvelous floor.

That evening, as Fariha floated into the dining room wearing a beautiful pink dress and matching ornaments, she seemed like a rose amongst her friends.
“Hey you little thing, you’ll surely get surrounded by boys today!” Faisal giggled at his sister.
“Hee…hee…And you? Ladies, ladies!” Fariha laughed, sipping from a glass of orange juice.

Although newly fourteen, Fariha was quite mature. An amiable attitude towards all could easily make her the center of all occasions. A long face with brownish black curls hanging above her ears made many girls envious.
The birthday-girl flew like a joyful butterfly. She had expected all her relatives at the party. Everyone could make it.
At one point, Fariha’s friend Anika began conversing with her:
“Hey, did you notice that guy…”
“Who? The one playing a guitar?”
“Yes. Look, such a cutie…”
“Do you like him?”
“Such an attractive appearance…the tanned complexion…”
“Anika! You’ve turned into a Juliet!”
Deep down, Fariha did like the rambling talk, because the person being praised was none other than Faisal.
“Hey bro, pick your sweetheart from the crowd.” Fariha whispered to her brother.
“YOU…” Faisal pulled her ear playfully.

CRASH! A shattering sound startled everyone. A tray of drinks had dropped from the housekeeper’s hand. Broken glass lay scattered everywhere.


Nazia was one of Fariha’s closest friends, despite being senior to her. When Fariha got tired of buzzing around, she sat down on a sofa where Nazia was sitting listlessly, toying with her long, silky hair.
“Hey buddy, you smell sweet, what perfume is it?”
“Solitaire…”
“Do you like Britney Spears…?”


Nazia’s lovely eyes were hazel in color, which was very rare in the Asian country they lived in. Despite having all perfect features, the world was dark to her. She was blind by birth.
By this time, every single body began swinging with the rhythmic music. A group of girls thronged around Nazia:
“Hey come…let’s dance…”
“Don’t you want to have fun?”
Nazia was forced to dance against her will.

About fifteen minutes later, a sharp, feminine cry shook the place, followed by a roar of laughter. Someone had pushed Nazia down on the floor while she was dancing. A number of glass pieces got into her hands and legs, creating a pool of blood. The poor girl lay at Fariha’s feet, groaning in extreme pain.
“Just WHAT THE HELL do you think of yourselves?” Fariha shouted at the top of her voice. “You have no right to hurt her!”
The timid girl’s sudden change brought immediate silence.
“Hey sis, calm down, I’ll help her.” Faisal’s soothing voice stopped the fire of anger rising within Fariha. Together, they drove Nazia to the nearest hospital.

“Hi, how do you feel now?” Fariha asked her friend, who lay on the hospital bed, with many stitches on her wounds.
“If I ever get my sight back, you’d be the first person I’d like to see.” Gratitude showered from the weak voice.
Softly touching Nazia’s hand, Fariha whispered:
“Open your mind’s eyes, you’ll see me.”

Though Nazia could not see, she felt Fariha’s presence all around her. Fariha was one of those rare friends who left footprints in her heart. They were tied in an invisible bond of friendship.



© Copyright 2006 Humming Bird (falguni at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1183585-Invisible-Bond