*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1184540-Daren-the-Dwarf-Prolouge
Rated: ASR · Chapter · Action/Adventure · #1184540
The Adventures of Daren the Dwarf, a person of small stature, and a knack for trouble.
THE ADVENTURES OF
DAREN THE DWARF

THE PROLOGUE


Now all this happened a very long time ago. Before motor cars and steam engines, before the great King Arthur sat at his square table, before great Greek and Roamin’ rulers ruled the world, before the Egyptians built their great pyramids that marvel today’s world. This happened at a time when unicorns walked through the woods, dragons flew through the sky and sorcerers cast their magic spells.

DAREN the Dwarf lived, and worked, in the Flying Horse Inn in the quaint little town of Little Brambleton in the land of New Hampshire (Yes, the same New Hampshire, but a very long time ago). He was a medium dwarf in stature (about three and a half feet). He also immensely enjoyed red berry pie.

The owner of the Flying Horse Inn was a human named Out, that wasn’t his real name though. His real name was; Brant E. Out. He was, a…GROUCH. Whenever a person asked even the smallest favor of him, he would utterly refuse, unless… it involved gold, or double rent, or Miss Matilda’s Home Made Malt.

Daren was an orphan; his parents had died in a tragic mining accident in the great mountain tunnels of Apalanor. (Both the mountains and the dwarven tunnels share the same name) After a couple years of having no place in the world, Daren came to Little Brambleton. And for some reason, Out accepted his plea to be a hand around the place. All the villagers still wonder what happened in the meeting between Out and Daren, but Out seemed to be a little skittish afterwards.


But far away from this all, in the castle of Concord (the capital city) there was an old human king, his name was King Kanabrious the Klever. (I know, by modern day standards, that is spelled wrong, but they changed it around to make a little alliteration.)

He had a beautiful daughter named Princess Pristine the Pretty. Unfortunately, her mother, Queen Quilifer the Quoteful, (She got that title from a bad habit, but more of that later, if I remember, which is doubtful) had died in an accident involving the ex-butler, and his pipe. Basically, a tragic fire happened in the queen’s royal suite, the whole thing burned to the ground, and the butler, whose name was Tamaltius the Treacherous ran away shortly after the accident, and has never been seen again.

Well, back to track, old King Kanabrious’ kingdom was being terrorized by goblins from the northern kingdom of Karzonia, (it covers a good part of modern day Canada) as his kingdom was peaceful, he had no regular army. So the king sent couriers throughout the land, to look for willing warriors to fight the goblins. And that is where our story begins.
© Copyright 2006 Ashentree (terrova at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1184540-Daren-the-Dwarf-Prolouge