*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1187245-Why-Choose-Classical-Christian
Rated: E · Other · Educational · #1187245
A persuasive article highlighting the benefits of the Classical Christian school model.
Why Parents Should Choose Classical Christian For Their Child's Private Education.

Parents seek a Christian Education to ensure their child is in a safe Christian environment that proclaims and demonstrates God's faithfulness to all. Most Christian schools use methods similar to public schools with Christian content worked into the curriculum. Our subjects overlap many of these schools, but our methods are unique. At Heritage Christian School, we use the Classical Christian model, making the fundamentals of a Classical Christian education distinctive. Christian education is not a fad, but one of the most profound educational reform movements in America today. Please see the sections on: What Is Classical Christian and the History of Classical Education.

The primary question before us is: Why classical education? Can we go back and learn from the past while keeping the achievements of the 20th century.
An acceptance of the classical educational tradition involves taking the unique insights of the ancients in order to gain perspective on and better prepare for an engagement with our own culture.

Classical education is also the most powerful education tool available for shaping a Biblical mind. It is the heart of a liberal education. As Tracy Simmons, an Oxford educated Hillsdale Journalism professor, has put it:
"A classical education is more than a discipline of the mind. It's a transformation of mind. A classical education is, as Livingstone called it long ago, 'a training in insight and sympathy,' a training forever changing one's map of the cosmos; the world becomes a more multi-layered terrain in sharper relief."

The post-modern youth culture that our children face is a very different world from that in which we were raised. The goal of classical Christian education is to equip our students with a pre-modern intellect of truth and knowledge, so they can engage a post-modern, relativistic culture.

The greatest minds of the Christian church as well as the founders of the American republic had this form of education. C. S. Lewis, for example, did not come out of nowhere. He writes:
"To lose what I owe to Plato and Aristotle would be like the amputation of a limb. Hardly any lawful price would seem to me too high for what I have gained by being made to learn Latin and Greek."

Andrew Kerns explains the classically trained mind as having the ability to enjoy and glorify God on the very highest level. The mind of such an individual is able to move freely and joyfully in the sea of truth (reality), it isn’t overwhelmed by arguments, it isn’t confused by words, and it isn’t subject to propaganda. Classical Christian education will equip our children to be powerful agents of change in an increasingly post-Christian culture.

© Copyright 2006 ChauncyGardner (shewrote at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1187245-Why-Choose-Classical-Christian