*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1187538-ANZAC-Day
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Essay · Other · #1187538
What does ANZAC Day mean to you and your generation?
ANZAC Day
What does ANZAC Day mean to me?

ANZAC Day is not just a day to remember the ANZAC's but to remember the sacrifices they took, for our country and the courage and bravery they held with them; especially as they charged across unknown terrain without knowledge of the opposition’s positions.

I live in a small town and every year the local hotel, fire brigade and the tennis club all hold a special event. The Anglican Church holds a dawn service and another later one. If I could make it to the Sydney March I would really like to go and see, because something so important should be seen by millions of keen young people they should take part in this miraculous event.

To me ANZAC Day is a day to celebrate what our country has done for us; it proves us to be a great nation. One with all the good characteristics and one to be extremely proud of.

I believe ANZAC Day is a day of respect, also one of the greatest and most memorable days of each year. It means so much to me to pay respect to those who fought in the First World War and all other wars since. Honestly, if they all knew the respect they now receive, they would be proud of every Australian citizen for their actions.

ANZAC Day means as much to me as keeping fit and staying healthy. It's part of my life; it's part of who I am and what I do. Several men from my father's side of the family went away to serve Australia in World War 1. Of my 5 great, great Uncles who fought, 3 survived and returned. 2 of them had no relationships from before they left and they all died soon after their arrival home.

It is so easy for me to explain what and how much ANZAC Day means to me because of it’s place in my heart. War is painful, but you've got to do what you've got to do and if that means fighting to save your country you fight. The thing si ANZAC Day isn't a memorial of the "war" but of the men and women and the bravery they took and held within them. That's what ANZAC Day means to me.

What does my generation think?
I believe that at the rate some ANZAC spirit is going the next generation won't know that their relatives and ancestors were part of such a great and important section of Australian/ world history. This means that the courage and bravery of their ancestors will be hidden inside them without their knowledge. It could take a great deal for them to find it and maybe only during a time when it is needed most.

Such a commemorative day should be in the interest of all children of the 2000 millennium generation. This is because these are the key to our future and because if this legend, this wonderful day isn't continued as tradition, what is everyone supposed to do, how is everyone supposed understand that Australia is what it is because of so many extraordinary men and women.

In the eyes of some war itself is a ridiculous attitude. This doesn't change what occurred and what the outcomes were and are. To others it's how it was supposed to be, it's how things happened and it should be commemorated with respective attitudes towards fighters, survivors, deceased, relatives and all Australian citizens. Some believe that nearly all recognition is to the British. To the majority of my generation, it is a famous historical happening with high respect and trust and shape. Unfortunately, to the rest it means nothing. Either because they don't care or because they have never even learnt of it. My community as a whole finds this sad and hope never to let it die in our town.

I surveyed a few people from my town and have come to the conclusion that ANZAC Day is about the men who fought for us and died for us. I also came to the conclusion that many people believe it is a day where we remember and honour those who fought at WW1 and participate a minutes silence fro the fallen. To help us remember a sprig of rosemary is worn. Some people believe those less interested take it for the one day of the year they can play two-ups. Oh and some people just like the biscuits.
© Copyright 2006 Rainbows (pecheetcreme at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1187538-ANZAC-Day