*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1188137-Under-Construction
by JenFla
Rated: E · Other · Experience · #1188137
A love story
As Tom and I discuss our future together, and as he suggests that I move from my girlfriend’s house to his, I am quick to point out a few things that I feel should be changed in the house before I take the plunge into cohabitation. Hence the project from hell is kick started, which tests our patience, love and commitment to one another.

First it is a known fact that I suffer from allergies to dust, mould, dog hair, (yes we each bring a dog to this happy family). It would be most important to get rid of the moldy, stained and faded carpet throughout the house. (I think it was once 1980’s teal.) New carpet out of the question (cough.) Tile would be ok, but cold, and little outdated. Oh hard wood would be beautiful. Yes Tom loves me. We buy 8 thousand dollars of beautiful solid Brazilian Koa. It will be a learning experience, we will learn together.

Of course the wall separating the kitchen from the living room causes the house to appear boxed up, cramped. If the wall were to come out it would open the house up, update it. Tom says it would be easy to re-wire the electric on that wall, besides it is not a weight-bearing wall. It is early February it shouldn’t take long.

Ok, I learned that once you tear out a wall, it creates a hole in the ceiling, which needs to be patched. Oh, and if your kitchen ceiling has a knock-down finish and your living room and dining room ceilings have a popcorn finish, it looks pretty messed up. Tom really loves me, and drywall finishers don’t come cheap.

Do you have any idea how terrible marked up walls look next to newly finished ceilings? I love picking out new paint for rooms. Painting can be a good work out, a bonding experience. Woops, air-conditioning vents, old fans and light fixtures stand out pretty significantly when you paint new ceilings. Just a little set back before we can start on the floors.

After much thought and discussion, we decide the old linoleum vinyl in the kitchen and bathrooms would look terrible next to the beautiful wood. The wood is stacked up in the dining room waiting for instillation, and calling our names.

I learned to lay ceramic tile this summer and it’s not easy. Red clay colored grout, can get under your fingernails and it takes weeks for the stains to go away.

Who would have thought about where we were going to put all of our furniture as we prepared to lay wood? Thank God Tom has an enclosed trailer. I feel terrible about Tom’s back it’s been a while since he moved furniture, nothing a little anti-inflammatory, and a couple of heating pads can’t handle.

After Tom runs the wires through the ceiling he will be installing our new TV above the fireplace, I’m so excited. Most people would have a problem crawling through the attic during August in Florida, but Tom certainly is determined that everything is done right. I do love that man!

Did you know that if your cement foundation is not level, wood floors would not lay correctly? They have this self-leveling cement you have to mix and pour into the low spots before you can even think about laying wood floors. Tom is so smart, he even knows that after you level the floor you have to put down a moisture barrier before you glue down the wood. Who could have known the rising price of petroleum would affect the cost of moisture barrier, and glue?

It is finally the day we can start to put down the wood floors, it is going to be beautiful. I’m looking forward to having our new floors for Thanksgiving; we can show all of our hard work to our families.

Did I say how much I hate the glue that secures wood floors? I had a stroke when I learned the “special” solution to remove it is 50 bucks for a small can, had to buy several cans to clean that damn glue. Once it gets somewhere it’s not supposed to be, it takes an act of God to get it off. Thought I would laugh my ass off when Tom accidentally sat on the open bucket, and got it all over himself. Had to throw those shorts away.

Although we were disappointed that we didn’t get the floors done in time to entertain our families at Thanksgiving, Christmas was beautiful. We finally have our wood floors and our house is finished. What did I learn? I learned how to remodel a house into a home. I learned that Tom is the most patient person I have ever known in my life, and I learned that if we can survive the remodeling job of a lifetime we could survive anything together. I also learned that I love Tom as much as he loves me.


© Copyright 2006 JenFla (jenfla2006 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1188137-Under-Construction