*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1189121-Seize-the-Day
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Marj
Rated: E · Short Story · Romance/Love · #1189121
This a a story of two friends that discover they could have romantic relationship.
Seize the Day
Tad and Tara spent most of Saturday and Sunday working on the shared yard of their condo's.

"Valentine's Day. Two more days," said Tara Sunday afternoon. She was a petite woman with dark hair and chocolate colored eyes, and at the moment she was sweaty and had dirt under her fingernails. Her appearance didn't even trouble her, she enjoyed digging in the dirt. But, she hadn’t said a word when her next door neighbor came out to help, knowing that he needed to be doing something.

"Never knew you to keep track," said Tad. He stuffed some more debris into the trash can, awkwardly balancing on his left leg, the right one being in a cast.
"Flowers. Chocolates." Tara hesitated. "Ladies like that sort of thing."

"Which lady might that be?"

"Well, you're mooning over somebody. I've seen that look before."

"Mooning? Crazed. Dazed. I am going stir crazy being cooped up in the house for a month."

"Your the one who wrapped his motorbike around a tree last month." Tara savagely pulled out a weed..

"So I had a near death experience and the last month I began to assess my life. Prioritize." He paused to wipe his forehead and scratch under his cast.” Now I'm ready to make some changes. Make that chomping at the bit to get out and make some changes."

"So, is there a special Lady to make some changes with?"

"Shall I sweep the patio?"

"You need to act, not diddle dawdle. Take advantage of the season."

"Ah, yes. Take the bull by the horns. Strike while the iron is hot. Seize the day. Stride up— "

Tara laughed in spite of herself. "Do something useful. Shut the garden gate behind you."

"I'm not sure what she likes," said Tad.

"Have you asked her?"

"Come right out and say—what do you like, chocolates or flowers? Tara what would you do if you got flowers?"

"I'd think the sender was batty."

"Well, then." Little spurts of dirt flew from Tad's broom and onto the roses he had helped Tara plant last spring. "How long have we known each other?"

She took a deep breath and her body seemed to grow taller. "I bought the house in '96. You moved in '99. Do the math."

He resumed his sweeping, she the weeding. Neither spoke. They seemed to be in a hurry to finish, as if pressured by time.

It was Tara who brought them out of their silence. "Let's call it a day."

Tad stretched out his hand and pulled Tara to her feet. He gave her swipe with the broom. "Don't want dirt tracked into the house."

I'm going to pour some lemonade." Tara stood back, admired her handiwork. "Would you like some, Tad?"

"I have a box of cookies," said Tad. "Chocolate-chip. Shall I bring them?"

"I'll see you in five, Tad."
At Tara's kitchen table with the remains of the lemonade and cookies between them, Tad looked at her hesitantly and took a deep breath.
"Ah, What are you doing on Valentine's Day?"
"Nothing, why?"
"I'm not doing anything either. So how 'bout we spend it together and watch some movies?"
"On one condition." Tara said suspiciously
"Name it" Tad shot back.
"No romantic stuff, just some good action movies."
"Sounds good to me." laughed Tad.
Two days later, they are sitting on his couch eating popcorn and laughing about the outrageous situations the star keeps getting into in the movie.
"Can you believe this stuff?" Tad asked sarcastically.
"I think that is the point, it is not supposed to be believable."
"Why not? This is so outrageous that it is hilarious."
"What, it's not suppose to be funny?" Laughed Tara.
"I, for one would like some realism in in action movie." 
"Movies are fantasies to escape the real world, what would be the point for them to be realistic?"
"All right. all right, I give up, I'll just sit here and try to enjoy the movie!" Smiled Tad.
Tad opened his eyes drowsily and realized he was on his couch and the sun was playing peek-a-boo with the shades on the front window. Then he froze, Tara was  asleep in his arms and her hair was in his mouth. Then he relaxed and smiled, this felt good. Like it was meant to be. He tilted his head and kissed her a wake.
Tara sleepily kissed him back. Then she stiffened and pulled away.
"What are you doing?" she asks angrily.
Tad smiled at her and said. "Seizing the day!"
"Well don't!" she yelled as she slammed his front door behind her.
Over the next few day's Tara keep's thinking about Tad and the kiss. She can't help it, he has left a present for her every day on her front stoop. First it was roses, then chocolate, finally it was a flat of daisies to be planted in the garden. That was yesterday. Today was Saturday, and she was going to plant the daisies.
"Am I forgiven?" he asked quietly.
She looked up from the daisies and just looked at him standing awkwardly on the patio.
Finally, she replied. "I could use some help planting these."          
Tad hobbled over  and sat down next to her. As he was handing her a plant she spoke.
"Actually, I am the one that needs to be forgiven. I over reacted."
"No-"
"Let me finish. Please." pleaded Tara. "I was surprised by the kiss and my reaction to it. So I got angry because you are my friend and I wasn't looking for that to change. But I think I would regret not seizing the day and seeing if this could work out."
"You sure?" Tad asked as he bent down towards her. She looked up at him and nodded her head.
© Copyright 2006 Marj (marjchristian at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1189121-Seize-the-Day