*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1189303-A-Bit-of-History
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Fantasy · #1189303
Laurence recalls a story about him and Zylene to his new partner Leiden.
For a story on how Laurence and Zylene first met, check out my other pieces "Beginnings and "An Object Lesson. Enjoy!

Zylene had redecorated since I was here last. Or rather, she had acquired several new items of interest. Two fine tapestries covered one wall from ceiling to floor. The curio cabinet in the corner displayed several shiny new souvenirs that I hadn't noticed before. I grinned to myself. There had been rumors that Barson Macgee's smuggling ring had once again "slipped" past the port authorities. No doubt these gifts had been offerings to Lady Luck for her continued help in his business ventures; Zylene, after all, was on the most comfortable terms with the Portmaster.

I paused in my examination of her new toys to glance over at the couch. Alarm signals began to go off. Zylene was swirling her wine in its glass and sitting a bit too close to Leiden to be called proper. She was smiling that lazy smile that could convince a man he was the most fascinating object she had ever set eyes on and one arm draped the back of the couch, close enough she could have extended her fingers and touched Leiden's shoulder. He, meanwhile, wore that slightly dazed look that I associated with someone who'd just been hit in the back of the head by a two-by-four.

I waited a moment more, though I hardly needed to heard her tinkling laugh to confirm that she was using her wiles on him. Poor kid. Captivated and he didn't even know it. Damn, you'd think that Zylene's the first girl to ever smile at him. If it were anyone else, I'd have been supremely amused; Zylene is a past-master at her art, and watching her at work is both a privilege and a pleasure.

I decided reluctantly that this was one show I couldn't afford to enjoy. Zylene had enough weapons at her disposal that I certainly didn't need to be handing her any more. Especially not someone as close to me as a partner, however inconvenient.

"So Zy," I started, casually drifting toward their couch, "How's business been lately?"

Leiden blinked up at me, having clearly forgotten my existence. I suppressed a sigh and reminded myself that it wasn't really his fault; who could blame him for falling under our hostess' spell? Zylene gave me a charming smile that only someone who knew her as well as I would realize was predatory. She knew exactly what I was thinking and was amused enough not to let go of her conquest so easily.

"Oh, business has been booming. You know how it is during the cold winter months, Laurence. All those poor sailor lads trapped in port with nothing to do with their pay. They always appreciate whatever warmth a woman can offer." She glanced suggestively at Leiden over the rim of her wineglass, causing him to color and grin goofily back.

I gritted my teeth and strained several muscles to keep from rolling my eyes. This was getting ridiculous. I settled myself comfortably into one of the armchairs, forcing Zylene to turn in order to talk to me. "I hear Madame Borland has made a bid for the vacant Courtesan Guild council seat. She's got a few backers behind her, it seems."

A brief expression of annoyance crossed Zylene's face. She didn't appreciate me using this topic to pull her away from her game with Leiden, but the issue was too near and dear to her heart for her to ignore. "Backers with enough financial clout to be worthwhile?"

"Mmm... and rumor has it that your little pet Nora isn't as surprised as she should be." Zylene's eyes narrowed. "Seems that she thinks there's something to gain whoever wins that bid."

"Why that little--!" I bit back a laugh as she remembered Leiden's presence and curbed her outburst. She sat fuming for a few moments, her hands moving restlessly on her wineglass, and I could practically see the gears spinning in her pretty head. In reality, there had been no rumors at all about Nora and her interest in the upcoming council elections, but she and Zylene were birds of a feather and their growing relationship made me lose more sleep than any three guilds combined. This seemed like a good opportunity to plant some seeds of mistrust.

I stole a glance at Leiden, and was amused at his lost-puppy expression. Guild politics were always a sticky subject, and the elections for the guild councils even more so. I gave him a few points for knowing when he was in over his head though, and being smart enough to hold his tongue. He shifted slightly on the couch, which brought Zylene's attention back to him, but she was no longer interested in their flirtations. If anything, her polite but empty expression told me she was slightly annoyed with his presence, as it distracted her from concentrating fully on the situation. She gave me a look that said plain as day "I'll leave your little protege alone if you'll just get him out of here... now!"

Never let it be said that Laurence Daphor can't take such a blatant hint from a lady. Besides, I wanted to give her time to brood and imagine the worst about Nora. "Well Leiden," I said, rising from my seat, "I think it's time we bid our fair hostess good night."

He scrambled to his feet, startled at our abrupt departure, while Zylene rose graciously and extended a hand first to me, then to him. "Good night, gentlemen, and do feel free to drop by again anytime. It's been such a pleasure!"

I barely gave Leiden enough time to collect his coat, much less his scattered wits, before leading him outside into the cold. The night was still young and I headed us toward the Keg-and-a-Half, a fairly reputable bar not too far from Zylene's establishment. I wanted a good chance to talk some sense into the lad, something which in hindsight I should probably have done before I introduced him to Zylene.

We walked for a few minutes in silence, our footsteps crunching slightly in the icy mush that had formed from the snow. I was trying to decide on how to raise the subject, while his mind was clearly still preoccupied.

"So Leiden, what did you think of Mistress Zylene?" I asked innocently, jogging him out of his thoughts.

He gave me a dreamy-eyed look. "She's a real lady."

I made a noise half-way between a snort and a cough, which is the best I could do at repressing my laughter. Sweet stars in heaven! A lady! My shoulders shook slightly and I couldn't stop a derisive grin. My partner frowned at my lack of propriety. "Ah, Leiden. Zylene's got charm, she's got class, and she's got a mind sharper than a City Guard's pike, but a lady she is most definitely not!"

He scowled at me, then faced forward and continued walking, obviously intending the conversation to be over, offended, no doubt, on his lady's behalf. I matched his increased pace easily and continued. "Take it from someone who knows, boyo, that Zylene is much more than she appears. Talk to her, flirt with her, learn from her, but never, ever think that she's completely trustworthy or honest with you. That's not the kind of person she is."

"How would you know?" he demanded indignantly, refusing to believe my better judgement.

"I know because we happen to be good friends who have known each other for a very long time." I caught his sidelong glance. "And yes, we used to be lovers."

"I didn't ask that," he said quickly, his color rising.

"No," I grinned, "but you were thinking it." Zylene and I had complimented each other well, during that time, but we had both realized that the two of us are far too much alike. Too driven, too ambitious. Still wary allies, but there had been times when we had... well, not been total enemies, but certainly not on the same side of the line. But no need to burden the boy with our past history, it was none of his business anyway.

Leiden had sped up once again, and I sighed, my breath puffing out in a cloud of white. He was going to take more convincing than I thought, and I was fast running out of patience. "Let me tell you a story, Leiden." He didn't react or slow, but I knew he was listening.

"This happened several years ago, long before even Captain Milcor's appointment here. At the time, there was a family in the city named the Colwrights. Two brothers rapidly rising in the Spice Guild, thanks to an innovative, and secret, technique they had developed that allowed them to preserve their spices much more efficiently. The elder brother had a son named Neil, a lad of almost fifteen. The younger had a small daughter, just barely four. The family was the target of a fair amount of envy, especially since they had refused to share their technique even with their Guildmaster. They were a close-knit bunch, and the brothers planned on grooming young Neil to enter the business when he became of age.

"In the meantime, though, the family's rise was introducing Neil to social circles that he had never encountered before, full of powerful men and fascinating women who before had never taken an interest in him, but who were now extremely solicitous of the heir of the Colwright fortune. One young man, especially, befriended the lad very quickly, and they became nearly inseparable. His new friend was charming, funny, apparently had an abundance of gold, and worldly in the way that often appeals to boys dreaming of becoming men. After several weeks' acquaintance, seeing Neil's eagerness to learn the ways of the world, the friend introduced him to a young lady at one of the lesser known Scarlet Sash Houses, the very one, in fact, that we have just left.

"Back then, Zylene was merely an apprentice in the house, nearly finished with her training and talented for her age, but certainly not the most skillful or the most learned of the young ladies in residence. She undertook Neil's education with a good will, teasing him about his bumbling, unsophisticated ways, and flirting shamelessly. In no time at all, he was completely enraptured.

"From both his friend and Zylene, Neil learned to gamble, placing higher and higher stakes. He began to enjoy wine more than he had before, and later on to shoot whiskey as well. He was living fast, but loving every minute of it, convinced of his own youth and invincibility.

"Zylene at first welcomed his boyish advances, encouraged his courtship, but it wasn't too long before she grew bored with him. She teased him mercilessly, flirted with others to his face; in short, entertained herself with his misery, all of which drove Neil nearly crazy with jealousy. He pined for her presence, sent her lavish gifts using his considerable allowance, and wrote an excruciating amount of bad poetry, the usual pursuits of the young and hopelessly romantic.

"Some time into this... relationship, if that's what one calls it, she began to teach him the raptures of yadna, how to smoke it in both its wet and dry forms, and soon he would spend whole days in the dreamy landscape of its smoke. He graduated from yadna to kumis, as you know a much more powerful stimulant. He no longer ate much, began to lose weight and have trouble sleeping. Yadna and kumis are expensive habits, and his father and uncle were becoming chary of his spending, though at the advice of his friend they remained ignorant of its cause. In the meantime, his luck at the table was turning, and his gambling debts began to accumulate as well."

I paused to collect my thoughts. Leiden had slowed and now walked beside me, caught up in the story. He wore a troubled expression, but I had a feeling he would be a lot more disturbed before I finished my tale.

"Well, needless to say, it didn't take long for Neil to find himself short on gold. His friend lent him a certain amount, but even that source dried up eventually. He began to dip into the business coffers behind his father's back, to siphon off a little spice here and a little there to sell on the side. When this theft was discovered, he blamed one of the family's apprentices, who was dismissed in disgrace. But now Neil was truly without resources, for any continued filching would turn suspicion his way.

"Days stretched into weeks, and the boy grew more and more desperate. Zylene was contemptuous of his lack of funds, and refused to either see him or provide him with his addictions. Finally, an idea presented itself to his fevered mind. A foolish, insane idea, but he had gone past the point of caring. All he thought of was that this plan would solve his financial problems, allow him enough gold to satisfy his craving.

"One day, while his father and uncle were busy at the shop, he arrived to visit his young cousin. She was a beautiful little girl, rich honey-colored tresses and hazel eyes that looked golden in the sunlight. He told the housekeeper that he was taking her for a walk, and indeed the girl adored her tall cousin with a passion, and the two set off.

"When the uncle arrived home that evening, the housekeeper was nearly beside herself. The young master and young miss had not returned, and a message to the older brother's house had yielded no results. She was in a fright over what could have become of the two. The uncle sent at once to his brother, to no success. It wasn't until the afternoon of the second day that Neil appeared on his father's doorstop, high as a kite in a winter storm and nearly insensible. Only after repeated questioning did the two brothers manage to put together what had happened.

"Neil had learned of a... trader who was having a hard time filling up his cargo before his ship departed for Northern Carraway. This trader's clients were very specific in what they wanted, and were willing to pay a vast amount of gold to get it. The trader, unwilling to lose this opportunity, had increased his own commissions a considerable amount. Enough, Neil learned, to cover his debts and have some left over for an extra pipe or two of yadna. No doubt he believed that no one would have connected him with selling his young cousin into a life of slavery; drugs do tend to mess with your mind like that.

"Well, I don't think I need to describe what the reaction of the uncle was upon hearing this news. I do believe he was only barely restrained from strangling his nephew. He commissioned a ship that very day, the fastest money could buy, to chase after the departed vessel, but in the end the effort was futile. There is some confusion about whether the little girl was even onboard the ship at all, and certainly no trace was ever discovered of her.

"The uncle never forgave either his nephew or his brother for her loss, withdrew himself from the business and the world, and a couple of months later threw himself off a pier and drowned. The older brother turned his son out of his house, but never recovered from the shock. He shut down the spice shop and drank himself into oblivion. Hearing of his brother's demise, he also committed suicide, hanging himself from a rafter. Neil disappeared into the underbelly of the city; last I heard he was scraping a living off of garbage heaps and begging for coppers so he could afford a sniff of kumis.

"Barely two weeks after the older Colwright's death, the Colwright Spice Shop burned to the ground, along with everything inside. The next day, Guildmaster Kershaw of the Spice Guild announced that he had invented an ingenious method for harvesting spice. A few eyebrows were raised here and there, but in this city, no one comments on a political or financial coup, especially a successful one. Not long after that, Mistress Gemner, the head of Zylene's house, unexpectedly announced her early retirement, and in the time-honored fashion of Scarlet Sash Houses, chose her successor. If anyone was surprised that she skipped over a few older, more qualified of her girls to pick Zylene, they knew better than to express their astonishment."

Just as I finished my tale, Leiden and I reached the Keg-and-a-Half. I examined him under the light of the burning streetlamp. His face was pale, his breaths short and quick, and an expression of horror lingered in his eyes. I smiled grimly.

"So, Leiden, trust me when I tell you not to rely overmuch on Mistress Zylene's regard. She's not a woman to either underestimate or cross."

"H-How do you know all this?" he asked, stuttering partly from the cold and partly from his reaction to the story.

I laughed, throwing my head back. "Leiden, Leiden, Leiden. Who do you think young master Neil's friend was? Who do you think introduced him to Zylene? Who adviced her on how best to treat the boy, who told her when to push him to distraction?" Leiden swallowed hard, but his horrified eyes never left mine, spellbound by my words. "I was the one who Kershaw approached in the beginning, not just to get rid of the Colwrights, but to utterly destroy the family for its defiance. I was the one who supplied Zylene with both yadna and kumis when she was teaching the boy the charms of addiction. I was the one who planted the idea inside Neil's head, of the lucrative possibilities of the slave trade, at the hour when he was most desperate. When it seemed as though the Colwrights' method would be lost, I ransacked their shop, found the locked safe under the floor, gave the secret to Kershaw, and burned the shop to the ground. And after the Guildmaster had paid me generously for all my hard work, I was the one who made a donation to Mistress Gemner's retirement and gave her a hint about her successor."

I laid my hand on Leiden's shoulder. He shuddered and shrank from my touch, but I kept hold of him, forcing him to look me in the eye. "Don't forget, kid, that I've been here since you were just a lowly little Trainee at the Academy. Politics here is deadly and unforgiving. So next time I give you a warning about something or someone, be smart: take it." I gave him a friendly pat on the back to emphasize my words. With my hand still at his back, I steered him into the door of the tavern.

The boy would learn the ways of this city, given time. And if he didn't learn, his fall would be quick and probably very painful. Either way, I had had enough of babysitting him for one night; I gave the bartender a friendly wave and cheerfully settled down to my drink.
© Copyright 2006 silverfeathers (silverfeathers at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1189303-A-Bit-of-History