*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1190559-Happiness-not-required
Rated: E · Article · Educational · #1190559
An article about finding joy apart from happiness.
Happiness NOT required:
But joy is!
What makes you happy? Would a million dollars do it? Would fame and power be required? Some people seem quite happy with very little and others don't seem to be happy even though they have an over abundance of things both materially and relationally.
How is it possible to be content no matter what state of existence you find yourself in? Can one maintain their happiness no matter what unpleasant circumstance comes their way?
From my own experiences in both work and my home life, I find it difficult to stay in the content zone. At times my happiness in either area can go from 60 to zero in a very short amount of time. I have worked at the same place for about 21 years and at times all I want to do is find a way out. Everyone and everything about my job just ticks me off and puts me in a really foul mood. On two different occasions I found a way out and after several months at my new job I started having thoughts like 'my old job wasn't that bad!' I really miss doing the things I used to do and the people were more fun to work with than this place. Looking back I can say that my main motivation was based on emotions. I don’t feel appreciated, my work is not meaningful, they’re not paying me enough, I could go on and on. Hmm maybe I should as a type of self therapy, but I will spare you just this once.
Some emotions are based on Facts and some aren't. In most cases the bad feelings will just go away with a little attitude adjustment that can be adjusted when I have a right relationship with my Lord.

In Philippians 4 Paul says:

10 I rejoice greatly in the Lord that at last you have renewed your concern for me. Indeed, you have been concerned, but you had no opportunity to show it. 11 I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. 12 I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. 13 I can do everything through him who gives me strength.
14 Yet it was good of you to share in my troubles.

This dear friend is the key! This is freedom calling our names in a profound life changing way. Paul had learned how to be content in all things because he learned how to be absolutely surrendered to God. He held nothing back.
You ask, how do I absolutely surrender my life to God? The short answer is YOU can’t. It can not be done in the flesh. Some of you with strong drive and will power might be able to do it for a while but soon you will back slide into your old ways. The only way to remain surrendered is to ask Jesus into your heart and then ask for His help in changing your heart. The word says “The heart above all else is deceitful” Emotions are driven by the heart and the heart can not be trusted. If you are like me you might be thinking – I have tried to submit to God time and time again and have always fallen back to the old ways. What does God want from me?

Job 36:11
If they [men] obey and serve him,
they will spend the rest of their days in prosperity
and their years in contentment.

Proverbs 19:23
The fear of the LORD leads to life:
Then one rests content, untouched by trouble.

Matthew Henry commentary on Proverb 19:23
Those that live in the fear of God shall get safety, satisfaction, and true and complete happiness.

The dictionary definition is:
content satisfied with what one is or has; not wanting more or anything else.
British. agreeing; assenting


Paul was satisfied! Even in chains? How is that possible? What is his secrete? We need to dive into the word to find this out.

John 15

4 Remain in me, and I will remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me.
5 "I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. 6 If anyone does not remain in me, he is like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned.

Remain is translated abide in some bible versions. Truth is, Paul’s little secrete was no secrete at all because Jesus has already spelled it out for us. We are to abide in Him. If we were to put that into context with our physical existence here on Earth you could say I abide with my spouse or children or friends. We hang out with these people. And by doing this we get to know one another on a very personal level. As a husband I can’t claim to abide with my wife if we don’t spend any quality time together or dwell in separate housing. We must talk to each other and do things together. No matter how insignificant the things we do together, what matters is that we are spending time together.
God wants us to be holy, set apart for His service. Just as in marriage when two people are united we are set apart, we no longer are available for having a marriage relationship with someone else. God wants you and I to separate ourselves for Him. Abide with Him with a sincere desire to be with Him. We do that by spending time with Him in the word. When we pray or talk to God and actively listen to His voice, or the calling He has placed within us, then we are abiding in Him.




Happy is defined as:
1. Characterized by good luck; fortunate.
2. Enjoying, showing, or marked by pleasure, satisfaction, or joy.
Remember Content is defined as :
Desiring no more than what one has; satisfied.

As we can see by the definitions above happiness and contentment do not equate. Therefore one can surmise – I can’t control my state of happiness but I can control my desires and the resulting contentment or discontentment.
For example if my happiness is dependant on having a job but then I get fired, I will no longer be happy. However if I have learned to control my desires and be “content in all things” as Paul said, I may not be happy about the loss of my job but I can still be content. It will take an adjustment in thinking, a new paradigm, as I attempt to put aside my feelings and desires and shift my thoughts from self to God. If you search the scriptures you will find a treasure of words from the Lord offering hope and peace in your present circumstance. “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me” “All things work together for good to those who love Him and are called according to His purpose” And with your newly found contentment you will discover joy! Now you may be asking, what is joy? I thought joy and happiness were the same?

joy   

NOUN:
1.
a. Intense and especially ecstatic or exultant happiness.
b. The expression or manifestation of such feeling.
2.A source or an object of pleasure or satisfaction: their only child, their pride and joy.
VERB:
joyed, joy•ing , joys
VERB:
intr. To take great pleasure; rejoice.
To fill with ecstatic happiness, pleasure, or satisfaction.
To enjoy.


You see, happiness can come from joy but joy is not dependant on happiness.

Matt 28:8
And they departed quickly from the sepulcher with fear and great joy; and did run to bring his disciples word.

Fear and joy together? When was the last time you heard someone say “ I am so fearful and happy”?

Luke 6:22-23
Blessed are ye, when men shall hate you, and when they shall separate you [from their company], and shall reproach [you], and cast out your name as evil, for the Son of man's sake.
Rejoice ye in that day, and leap for joy: for, behold, your reward [is] great in heaven: for in the like manner did their fathers unto the prophets

Here we see that the circumstances don’t warrant happiness but yet there is joy.

Luke 24:52
And they worshipped Him, and returned to Jerusalem with great joy:

This passage is great for making the difference between happiness and joy apparent.
No matter what dire situation I may find myself in, I can worship Him anywhere, anyplace, anytime, and be filled with His joy! I won’t be happy about my situation but I will rejoice in my Lord! “Rejoice in the Lord always and again I say rejoice” This can only be done if I am abiding in Him.

About a year and a half ago, I lost my Mother to cancer.
For 23 years I had been trying to get her to ask Jesus into her heart. She would always respond with “ I believe in Jesus” but her life never reflected His love, there was never any exclaiming Him or expressing the newly found joy that usually is a result of being born again. The day she was transferred to a nursing facility to care for her while she was dying was the day she died. The doctors said she had about three weeks. My wife Cindy and I were at her bedside and as I attempted to pray for my mom I was getting all choked up so I asked my wife to continue. Cindy asked mom if she wanted to pray and accept the Lord Jesus into her heart. Mom prayed along with her asking Jesus to forgive her sins and confessed with her lips that she wanted Him to be Lord of her life. Little did we know she would pass away just a few hours later. After days of sadness and grieving I found my self at her grave side, wondering how I would be able to stay somewhat composed during the service. I was sitting in front of her casket between my two sisters. The casket was surrounded by beautiful flowers, the sky was overcast on this sullen April morning. As I sat there surrounded by friends and family, I found it hard to believe this was happening. As the pastor started speaking something he said gave me a sudden revelation that brought great joy to my heart, I leaned over to one of my sisters and exclaimed “she has risen! She is not here, it is just her shell” Because mom had accepted the Lord, she went to be with Him immediately after she died! I rejoiced in that and as the service progressed I continued to be filled with God’s joy. No, I wasn’t happy about my mom leaving me behind but I was happy for her and I was comforted knowing that I will see her again someday, this was not the end. This is the difference between joy and happiness! We can choose joy in all things. Circumstances are constantly changing but through it all, in Christ, we can remain full of joy and contenment.























© Copyright 2006 McCarty (bryce777m at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1190559-Happiness-not-required