*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1190951-Life-Cant-Keep-Us-Apart
by hillee
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Romance/Love · #1190951
A girl goes into a coma and meets a boy... read more to find out!!!

Have you ever heard angels sing? I have. It was when I was seventeen and closing the door life while opening one to death. I always used to say that I hated my life. Then one day my friend totally snapped, I guess she was tired of me saying that. She hurt me, badly.
I was on my way to where ever death takes you when a voice called me back, saying that it wasn’t my time, and how I will be safe where I was going. When I woke up it was like a dream. There was grass field with two huge trees and a boy my age sitting with a sketch pad under one of the trees. Nothing was familiar; it was like the only thing living around me was the boy. There was nobody except us. Of course I was freaked out, I mean come on, it was like Adam and Eve only fully clothed and there wasn’t any forbidden fruit.
The boy noticed that I had finally woken up, thus he ran over to me. I’m sure you think that I should have asked him who he was but instead it was more like “Where am I?”
Of course he didn’t answer for a minute or two, and then he finally spoke. “It is a place that protects you from death. That is honestly all I know of this place.”
“Why are you here?” I asked. I didn’t think it would be an emotional story but, he defiantly beat me in the family category.
“My brother was blackmailed into a bank robbery about six months ago. I wouldn’t let him die with a record like that so I ran in right before him screaming that the guy with him had a gun. Then the next thing I knew was that my brother screamed for an ambulance and then another gun shot. Four days later I ended up in the hospital with a bad infection. It turned out that someone had shot me and when my brother tried to help me they shot him. That is how I got here.” He looked me straight in the eyes with no expression but grief on his face.
“I’m so sorry about you and your brother. I wish I really knew what to say.” I couldn’t keep looking at him; I would have if he hadn’t turned his head away from me. “You know, I’m here because I made my friend really mad. I had always told her that I hated my life and she started to get sick of if so she tried to drown me. I was scared, when I woke up I was here, I never had the chance to say good-bye or sorry to anyone I loved. I wish I knew how they are dealing or if they care.”
“There is a way. I found it a couple days ago when I was wondering. Come on, you won’t believe me until you see this.” That’s when he grabbed my hand and pulled me down this long winding path. It looked like a forest of green trees. After at least five minutes of running with him, we came to a huge field of tall green grass with a pond at the center of it. As we approached the pond, I realized that it wasn’t an ordinary pond; it was strange in a way.
“What is this place? Why did you bring me here?” I didn’t know what to say. What I did do was start breathing hard. My heart started clenching, with perspiration running down my face and I could feel it on my hands. Why wasn’t he explaining himself? What was really happening?
That was when it started getting creepy. He told me to walk up toward the pond and look down. When I did, it reminded me of The Lion King because Simba looked down and saw his father. Only I saw me, lying in the hospital with my sister and mother around me. Even Ray, my sister’s boyfriend with Michael, his kid brother was there. I had no idea what to say.
“You see, they still care. They love you and one day you will probably return to them.” He had this tone in his voice like for some reason he was disappointed. It made me feel happy in a way. I mean it would be great to go home, but he acted like he wanted me to stay with him.
“You sound disappointed. Won’t you ever go back home?” I had to ask, I mean what if he left me here alone?
“I don’t know but if you go I just might be lonely again.” He replied.
“Well, what do you do when you get tired or hungry?” I asked.
“When I’m tired I usually sleep, and when I’m hungry…”
“Ha ha ha, very not funny. I meant where do you sleep and get food?” We both smirked at that and stood there staring at each other for a moment, then he took me back through the forest path to a fork in the road. He took me to the right and there was a house on a hill. It looked more like a shack.
“Einige Häuser sind größer als andere.” That’s all he said.
“What exactly does that mean?” I had no idea what he had just said.
“It is German for ‘Some houses are bigger than others.” He just stood there looking at me; only he didn’t notice that I watched him. “Come on, I’ll show you this place more tomorrow.
“Okay, let’s go.” I honestly couldn’t wait until tomorrow. There was so much to look forward to, I mean there is a whole new world out there and I get to see it.
That night I could barely sleep at all. It wasn’t just the excitement that ate at me, but it was that I kept thinking about this guy who hasn’t even told me his name. He seemed very sweet and had an emotional past, but he is really good looking. He isn’t a Johnny Depp guy but he is in the Tom Cruise/Brad Pitt with long hair category. That or some would think that he has a JT Woodruff look. Now he doesn’t look very innocent but I think I can trust him. After the thought, I started drifting back into sleep for a while. I don’t how long it had been but all I remember was that when I woke up, he was right beside me asking if I was okay. It wasn’t until later that I realized I had a nightmare and woke up screaming.
“Why are you screaming?” He asked after I stopped.
“I don’t know all I remember is that I was home and no one could see me. Then it was a cemetery and it was my funeral,” I started to let the tears roll down my cheeks, “My dad didn’t even show up.”
“Why is that so bad?” He asked in a harsh way.
“It proves that he loves his job more than me. He always said he loved me even though he walked out on my graduation for a business call.” I couldn’t stop the tears or look at him but I remember the moment he put his arms around me and I leaned against him. I loved being held by him, he had a warm and loving embrace.
I don’t know how long he held me but I do know that I fell asleep again only I was in his arms. When I woke up again he had made breakfast, it was really weird because he knew exactly what I wanted. He had made scrambled eggs on wheat toast with orange juice and a bowl of fruit, and then he had put a bouquet of beautiful flowers in a vase. It was like a romantic dinner only for breakfast.
“I can’t eat this.” I said even though it was my favorite breakfast since forever.
“Why? Is something wrong? I guess I should have asked you what you liked. I’m so sorry.” He had this expression that I haven’t seen since he told me about his brother.
“Oh, no it is really sweet. I promise nothing is wrong it’s just…” I knew it was torturing him but I needed to do this.
“What? What is it?” I couldn’t laugh at how anxious he was to know.
“I was always taught not to eat food from someone I don’t know the name of.” It was hilarious how all of a sudden he went totally pale and then started blushing. I guess he knew that he was blushing because he turned even redder.
“I guess we didn’t formally introduce ourselves. I am truly sorry, my name is Shawn Collins. And you?” He started to relax which made me relax even though I didn’t know I was tense.
“My name Mr. Collins is Malian Rosalie, but you can call me Mali.”
“And you can call me Shawn, I don’t really have a nickname but it sure does beat Mr. Collins.” He responded.
“Great now, lets eat!” Then we both laughed and conversed about their life and things like music, school, reading material, and then as they ate the meal that was prepared, they talked about where he was going to take her today.
“I was thinking that we could go through the garden, to the courtyard for fun, and then I have a surprise for you tonight.” He had this amazing smile that I believe is very rare. At that precise moment I realized that I was falling for him. I would have told him but I was scared that wouldn’t like the same.
“Sounds great! What are we waiting for?” I said as he looked at me for a response.
So about 15 minutes later we started on our way it silent until we had arrived in the garden. I figured it would be some puny regular in front of the house garden but I was so wrong! It was like seven over flowing green houses put together. It was one big field of fresh green cut grass with a gray brick path going through and around the plants. There were peach, red, yellow, and white roses spread out winding each way the pathway did. Behind the roses there were violets, white and lavender lilacs, peony in pink, red and white. But the best part was at the center there was a huge fountain with dolphin squirting water. Surrounding the fountain was white and purple asters mixed with pink, white, and red carnations, also it was mixed with Geraniums in white, coral, red and pink, best of all you need to know of the beautiful orchids with red, peach, white and lavender impatience. I would not have known of any of these flowers if Shawn didn’t tell me about them.
“Do we really have to leave this place?” I asked on our way out.
“Yeah sorry to say it but if we don’t then you will never see the next spot or your surprise.” He said with a tiny grin that I couldn’t figure out why he was trying to hide it.
“Don’t hide your smile, it’s really nice when you smile.” I didn’t realize what I said until I said it. I guess it wasn’t so bad because he smiled with a spark in his eye.
When we entered the courtyard I froze. It was HUGE! There was a tennis court, baseball diamond, a swimming pool, a football field down the hill with a track winding around it. That doesn’t even include the part with the basketball court, soccer field, and best of all, the Library. I couldn’t stand it, I took off running into the humongous library and you will never believe it. Inside of the Library there was the biggest selection of books, plus it had a foreign language section, and top that off there was a musician’s corner! I didn’t want to leave but Shawn forced me.
“Come on it’s time for your surprise.” He smiled and attempted to pull her away.
“You mean this wasn’t it?!” I couldn’t see why it was funny but he was laughing! I guess he thought I was joking.
So I went because I wanted to know what was better than that library. It was defiantly way better. He had a blanket on the ground at the top of the hill, with extra blankets for warmth, candle light and of course a romantic dinner. I sat down and he grabbed the guitar that I didn’t even see, and started playing soft music, and then the sun started setting.
“This is really sweet of you.” I said with a grin.
“So you like it? I mean because I wanted to make your first real day a nice time.” He replied while trying to keep a casual face.
I must tell you that he isn’t good a keeping a straight face, which was nice because I showed me that maybe he really did try to make me feel special. I took a huge leap a landed a huge kiss on his lips. I was really glad to see the smirk on his face after I did because when it vanished he kissed me back. It just proves that he does like me back.
That night went away quickly; even what happened went with it. The next day Shawn acted strange all day, in fact he acted strange for what I seemed like a week. I wasn’t exactly sure why, but I was starting to think that I did something wrong.
“I did something wrong didn’t I?” I had to ask, it felt like it was eating me alive.
“What are you talking about? We haven’t even spoken in…” He replied as I cut in.
“Exactly, you have been giving me the silent treatment all week. Was it a mistake to kiss you? Wait I forgot, you kissed me back!” At that moment I realized that it was a mistake. He didn’t care; he wanted to make me feel miserable.
“Will you stop it? Don’t you know anything? I made a mistake kissing you back. I just got caught up in moment. I don’t like you, the only reason I kissed you was because I was lonely. I don’t need you; I don’t need your sympathy or your stupid vulnerability!” He yelled. I didn’t realize I had been crying until he wiped my tears and brushed past me.
I didn’t know what to say to him throughout the next few days and that made it seem like forever when you had nobody to talk to. What seemed like a week past when I noticed that someone was in the garden. He was playing one of the many guitars and he wasn’t that bad, he had a way to make a deep sound that was very entrancing. At first I thought maybe it was Shawn but when he looked up it was an entirely different person.
“Who are you? How did you get here? When did you get here?” I asked.
“My name is Michael Brenner, Shawn said that I am in a comma, and I had come here almost a day ago. What about you?”
“My name is Malian Rosalie, but you can call me Mali. I’m also in a comma, at least that’s what Shawn told me, and I’ve been here for at least a solid four to five weeks.” I replied.
“Oh, so you know Shawn? He seems really nice, but he said that there wasn’t anyone else here besides him, although he did mention a girl who went back.” He sounded pretty confused.
“Really? That’s definitely Shawn, and he is not a nice guy, he is a jerk.”
“Why do you say that? I mean did he hurt you or break your heart or something?”
“You could say that. I haven’t seen him in a week so if that clears it all up for you.” I said trying to get away from the subject.
“I am sorry but I can’t believe he would ever deny such a beautiful person such as you.” I guess this guy wasn’t trying to be like Shawn since after all, he has no idea what happened.
We sat there talking about Shawn and I was filling him in about what happened, when guess who come to us. Of course there was no discussion between Shawn and me but Michael kissed my cheek and grabbed my hand as he followed Shawn back to the shack. I couldn’t help but feel horrible since after all how could I walk with him if I could hardly look at him. What I did notice about him was that he walked faster and farther ahead of us each time Michael would kiss me on the cheek, hands, or even the lips. If you ask me I think he was jealous or angry that I was letting Michael kiss me all over, which I didn’t like that much either.
“I don’t think it wise to stay in the shack with him Mali.” Shawn whispered when we stopped for Michael to take a restroom break.
“Why is that?”
“The only reason I said you were gone was to keep you safe. I told you that I would protect you, didn’t I?”
“I thought you didn’t care about me Shawn! Why are you being so ignorant?” I started crying because I was so confused at how he felt.
“Hey! What is going on Shawn? Why is Mali crying? What did you say?” Michael asked when he came back.
“Forget it, you two can have that shack I’ll sleep outside tonight. I don’t think that Mali wants me near her right now.” Then he walked up to Mali and whispered “Just scream and I’m there.”
All I can really remember is that when I woke up Shawn was standing above me. Then I realized that he wasn’t standing above me, he was carrying me and I was crying. He was right I shouldn’t have trusted Michael.
“I thought you didn’t care.” I whispered when he put me down.
“You shouldn’t believe everything that people tell you.” He replied.
“So what does this mean?” I asked.
“Mali?” Shawn repeated over and over again as I realized that we were both starting to vanish.
“We are going home Mali.” Those were the last words he said.
When I woke up I was in a hospital room with doctors and my family all around. They were crying and I asked were Shawn was and they just looked at me awkwardly. I was scared because I felt that I would never see him again until a voice so familiar was calling.
“Mali! Mali where are you?” Called Shawn.
“Shawn!” I screamed.
I got up and ran toward his voice; down the hall we caught each others glance. Then we ran to embrace each other.
“I’m here, Mali!” He was crying.
“I love you Shawn, I love you so much!” I began to cry with him.
“I love you to Mali! I always have!” He said.
Over the next week I went back to school and I spent a lot of time with Shawn, we had one class together so we claimed that we were studying just to hangout. I loved him for as long as I could. Then that awful day came when he left this world for good. He left me devastated and scared. I was alone and raising a child of his. He left on the eve of the wedding. He died in a vehicle accident on his way home from seeing his parents that he hadn’t seen in years.



© Copyright 2006 hillee (hillee09 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1190951-Life-Cant-Keep-Us-Apart