*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1191966-A-Winter-Heist
by Kiante
Rated: E · Short Story · Children's · #1191966
A VERY short mystery story, the first one written in my current 3 piece series.
  It was a sunny winter day. The breeze flowing through the trees lifted my spirits. I felt like I could do anything just then.
 
  I was on my way to see the grocery store owner about applying for a part-time job. He needed some help cleaning up and I told him I could do it after school every day. He said he’d have to think about it and that I should come back tomorrow for his decision. That’s why I was here, a block away from the grocery store, enjoying the weather and the sunshine. But then, I heard something, something that didn’t seem right. I heard screaming!
 
  “Help! Ahhhh! Police! Police! Catch them!” I heard coming from the grocery store. Two men wearing masks and holding guns ran by me while I stood there stunned and not knowing what to do. I regained myself in a moment and saw them still running. Apparently they hadn’t thought to bring a vehicle. They disappeared into the forest three blocks from here. I decided I would follow them. That breeze was inspiring me, so I wasn’t afraid, when maybe I should have been. I ran towards the forest while trying to avoid being noticed by the people walking up and down the sidewalks. I entered the it.
 
  I didn’t hear much at first. Then, when I listened closer, I heard panting and running. I followed the sound quietly but quickly and soon found the crooks stopped to catch their breath.
 
  ‘I have to come up with a plan,’ I thought to myself. So I stood there for a few moments contemplating what to do. Then I had it. There was a local ghost story that said these woods were haunted. I knew the police should have the area surrounded by now.
 
  “Aooooohhhhh.” I moaned.
 
  “Jim! Did ya’ hear that Jim? It sounded like moaning! You don’t think that ghost story was true do ya’?”
 
  “No Bob! Of course it’s not true. It’s just somethin’ parents told their kids to keep em’ outta the woods! Quit bein’ such a baby!”
 
  “I dunno Jim. It sounded an awful lot like a ghost.”
 
  I chuckled to myself.
 
  “Did ya’ hear that Jim! I thought I heard a chuckle from somewhere!”
  “
  You’re just imaginin’ things Bob!”
 
  I laughed again. This time apparently Jim heard it as they both jumped up.
 
  “Bob…let’s get outta’ here!” screamed Jim and then they started to run. Of course the police caught them after that. I was awarded with a civil service medal, and that’s how I caught the crooks!
© Copyright 2006 Kiante (kiante at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1191966-A-Winter-Heist