*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1192505-The-Reference-Librarian
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by evas
Rated: 13+ · Essay · Activity · #1192505
A brief charachter description
    When I entered the local small town public library I felt safe from the pressures of the outside world.The library seemed like a sanctuary complete with vaulted white ceilings, cool temperatures and voluminous stacks of books.The library smelled like a combination of paper and polished wood.It was large enough to feel spacious, yet small enough to allow access to all its components.I thought it was the best place to relax.
   
      On this particular day,I recieved a research assignment from my High School English teacher and went to the research section of the library.Instead of doing my reasearch in the card catalogue,I sat and studied the reference librarian.She had dark curly hair, dark eyes and was short and slender.She wore a colorful skirt that swirled around her, like a gentle river flowing downhill.She fluttered as she moved quickly and efficiently around her big mahogeny desk to retrieve the books she needed.Her flat red shoes were as soundless as slippers as she climbed the ladders in the reference section to bring down the requested books from the highest shelves.
   
    "Oh my, that's a heavy bugger."She said quietly with a crisp English accent as she pulled a heavy leather bound book from the shelf and carried it to her desk.
   
    I watched her from an angle where I could see her without being obvious that I was studying her.Her view of me was partially blocked by the card catalouge.Then, as I watched she bent to open her desk drawer and pulled out a pint of vodka and poured three shots into the coffee cup on her desk.I sat there stunned while she took a long drink from her coffee cup and got up to reshelve some books.

    I didn't research my paper that day, too disappointed that the reference librarian was drinking on the job.It never occurred to me to discuss what I had seen.I did not want to get the librarian in trouble.Some of the magic of the library dissolved for me that day.The troubles of the world had penetrated that safe and quiet place.
© Copyright 2006 evas (esleczka at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1192505-The-Reference-Librarian