*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1193836-Jonathan
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Drama · #1193836
A flash fiction story about one mans treason and it's harrowing effect.
What looked to be a scientist examined a soldier who was tethered to the floor in a bright white padded room.  The scientist was tall and lean.  His head was partially bald and his hair almost entirely white.

“You have lied to me once again, Jonathan.”  The scientist's admonishment was calm, patronizing. 

Jonathan looked out at him and tears filled his eyes; he screamed.  The man flipped a small switch, and electricity coursed through Jonathan’s body.  He flailed in the white room.

The man flipped the switch.  The electricity stopped.  The screaming stopped.  There was silence.

Jonathan lay motionless on the floor, his skin quietly smoldering.  His eyes were wide open and lifeless.  The man looked into the white room through a glass window.  The man focused on the corpse, a subtle grin shone through and his eyes narrowed.  He stood still for several moments, then quickly glanced down at the floor and confidently moved towards the door to another room filled with chairs.  Standing by the chair furthest from the door was a handsomely dressed general.  Badges and honors covered his protruding chest.

“We found the traitor, Sir.  It was Jonathan, I never suspected him.  He had so much control, he had so much access.  There is no way in knowing what the enemy now knows.  We must proceed very carefully.”

The distressed general looked at the scientist and nodded.

The scientist nodded and exited the room.

The information that was leaked to the enemy ended up costing the general nearly all his men, significant technology, and it cost him his life.  The base was destroyed only two weeks after Jonathan’s execution. 

The spy escaped. 

Jonathan was a fair and honest man. 

Jonathan knew too much.
© Copyright 2006 WalnutMan (walnutman at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1193836-Jonathan