*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1195686-Mondayitis-No-More
Rated: E · Short Story · Career · #1195686
Mondayitis Contest Entry - Mondayitis no more - what a way to go.
Mondayitis Contest Entry (500 words)

Mondayitis No More

The alarm goes; it’s time to get up. Frantic showers, quick dressing, grab-a-bite to eat and rushing out the door.

Is it always the same on a Monday? Why can’t we have the weekend all the time?

I like the weekend when we sleep in late. With one eye open, yawning, checking out the day. Having a scratch, eating breakfast (or last nights tea). Looking out the backdoor at the weather. What will we DO today? Have a day out or have a day in? Let’s have friends over? Who, what, when?

We can go out playing with the family. Frisbee, football, running, jumping, panting, puffing and we go and go and go. We have time for an early lap, or two, around the park? With the kids on bikes, skateboards, roller-skates, scooters, roller blades, etc chasing ahead or just plane keeping up. The weekends are wild. There is plenty to do. I love the weekends.

Into the car going down the beach, what fun! Chasing waves, getting dumped. Checking out the other arses.

I like sitting around watching TV, greeting guests, as they arrive. Having a Bar-Be-Que. Eating anything and everything. Just hanging out with loved ones. No work, just fun.

What is it with this Monday thing – I just don’t understand? Why can’t all week be like the fun of weekends? Why the drudgery of Monday. Weekends are way more fun.

Why work so hard all week. Every Monday comes and it is the same. The alarm goes; it’s time to get up. When will the Monday be the same fun as Sunday? When, when, when?

I have seen the Grandkids and watched them grow. They have caught ball with me and chased the Frisbee.

Through the day I wait, it is all so quiet with no one to play. At last the end of the day closes, it is getting dark.

Home he comes, tired and exhausted. He gives me a pat on the head, he has a bit to eat and then off to bed. Each workday is the same but at least we are another day closer to the weekend.

Then one day the brief case goes in the bin there is a different atmosphere around this arrival home. Something is completely different. He gives me an excited pat on the head. What has happened? What has changed?

Monday morning all is quiet, we are sleeping in. With one eye open I look around, yawn, scratch, check out the day. Up he gets, coffee pot on, what will we do today? He leisurely reads the paper. He gives me another pat on the head. Lets go for a walk to the park he said.

What? But it’s Monday? Why do we have no rushing around, no frantic showers, no quick dressing, no grab-a-bite to eat and no rush out the door?

Ah, retirement. Now we have fun every day. No more Mondayitis, we have found the cure.
© Copyright 2006 Fizzgig (fizzgig_sh at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1195686-Mondayitis-No-More