*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1196090-And-They-Came
Rated: E · Short Story · Sci-fi · #1196090
This has been described as the three wise men from space. It is a quick tale.
All the people of the earth knew of their coming. They could see it on the TV, hear it on the radio or from friends, and some could even see it for themselves if they had a telescope. The big thing was, was that no one knew what it was. CNN was the first to show the world the pictures of it and they were sure to tell everyone that it was definitely a ship -- a space ship. They told us not to panic and to go on living our lives as normal, but that was impossible. The world was going to flip when they got to grips with this.

As for us, by us I mean we, the Monroe Family of 749 Laurel Ave Clinton Tennessee, we were calm. My mother and father were on the couch eating popcorn and I was sitting in the floor, eyes glued to the set, mouth hanging open, stupefied by what I was seeing.
“Is it aliens, dad?” I asked, feeling numbness in my legs from sitting so long.
“Yes, son, it is aliens. But, don’t let that scare you. They might not even be coming here. They might be going somewhere else.”
Then a CNN anchored turned the camera over to a NASA specialist by the name of Norman Weilerman, who was supposed to be the top American expert on these types of things, and allowed him to have his say. He talked slow and with authority.
“As for this ship, we can not say what it’s purpose is, but we can say that it is not a warship. It looks more like a scouting vessel.”
The man in the CNN newsroom, who was on the TV also but in another frame, spoke up then, “How do you know what a warship and a scouting vessel looks like?”
The expert laughed, “I’m trying not to presume the worst just yet, sir, but this ship is much to small to attack Earth. We could destroy it with a single atomic bomb.”
“Is that what we are planning to do?”
“Certainly not!! Certainly Not!! We are hoping to communicate with it.”
“How do you suppose to do that?”
“With radio frequencies and the traditional ways, plus we even got a few new types of undisclosed methods of communication not public just yet.”
“I see, so would the call to this ship be long distance or local?”
At this both laughed.
“Thanks for your time, professor, and I am sure that you are going to be busy. Do you have any more words for the public?”
“Yes, just this: Please do not panic and do not think this is a bad thing or the end of the world. No one knows why they are here and no one knows what they want. For now, lets stay optimistic and if they land give them a warm welcome.”
Then the anchor man turned it back over to Mexico where the ship could seen floating in space. The picture of the ship stayed on the TV.
“Well, that’s it my father said. We have finally been noticed by someone or something smarter than us and they are probably here to take us prisoners.”
“Hold your tongue, Homer.” My mother said. “There will be no prisoners taken. You heard the man, we can fight them.”
“That’s right them, fight them. Do you think that’s the only ship out there. The professor said it was a scout ship and he is probably right. They’re coming and more are on the way.”
“Dad, do the aliens have to be mean?” I asked, thinking that they could be just like us, that they could be nice. Funny how an eleven year old thinks sometimes. “Can’t they be nice and help us?”
My dad thought about this for a moment and smiled, “Sure son, they can be helpful if they wanted, but ultimately it will be up to us.”
“Why?”
“Well, if those people in the pentagon get their wish, they will probably start a war with them and that would mean they would fight back, but if everyone stays calm and doesn‘t jump the gun, then they might just pass right by.”
“Homer, do you really think they might just pass by, I mean, really,” my mother asked, hopefully.
“No, not really, but that’s what I hope they’ll do.”
“Not me,” I said, “I hope they are nice and I hope they help us and give us things from their space ship and let us have one of those guns they have on TV.”



The night came faster than I thought it would, for the day was exciting, and my father was in the yard with his telescope looking into the sky. I was in bed, but I could hear him cussing the focus. A few times he came back inside to get a different eye piece in order to change the magnification. Then, finally, I heard him exclaim, “Holy Mother!! There she is.”
My mom must have heard it too because she went outside wanting to have a look at the thing. I heard her ask my father if he was really seeing it.
“Yes,” he said, “but like I thought, it isn’t alone. I see three of them.”
“Let me see.” My mom exclaimed. “By dog, you are right. Three in a row.”
I couldn’t contain myself any longer, for I had to see it too. I jumped out of bed and ran to the kitchen door. My mother must have heard me coming because she was waving me up to the telescope beside her. “You ready for your first look at a real UFO, son.”
“Yep,” I said, putting my eye to the scope. And then, there it was, just like my mom said, three in a row. I looked at the ships move to the left for about four or five minutes before they moved to far to be seen. “I can’t see them now.”
“No use anyway, son,” my dad said, “nothing we can do down here. Nothing but wait.”



That night we did not go to bed until three in the morning. We sat up and watched CNN and sure enough the NASA man came back on and said that there was indeed more than one, but still they were just small ships and they presented no real threat to the planet.
The reporter was asking him questions and the NASA man dodged half of them, but the few he did answer told us a lot.
“How can you be so certain that there is no threat?”
“Because they sent us crude images and they know we have nuclear capabilities. They know that we can fight back.”
“How do you know this?”
“Because they sent us a sign. It was enough to tell us that they know that we are not going to be an easy target.”
“What type of sign did they send?”
“It was a depiction of a mushroom cloud.”
“How do you know they weren’t threatening a nuclear attack?”
“Because, son, the picture did not threaten us. They could have easily sent us a nuclear bomb if they wanted to. New York could be laying in ruin right now, but instead they chose to communicate.”
“I see, so you don’t think there is any threat to the world.”
“Well, I wouldn’t say that. But if we keep our cool and they keep theirs, then nothing should happen. This could be just like a regular meeting of strangers. The only barrier we are going to have is language and customs barrier that can be over come eventually.”
“Thank you again, sir, for your time. “
The CNN scene cut back to the newsroom.



My dad said it was time for bed, so we went to bed. My mom stopped us and said we should pray together tonight. My dad lead the prayer and asked for peace on earth and peace for tomorrow. He asked for the aliens to be friends and not foe and that somehow let them help us and not harm us. Amen.



Well, I didn’t sleep much, but I dozed a little. I didn’t dream.
I was woke early by my father who said that that they had landed.
LANDED, I thought. Here.
The ship had touched down in Florida and was simply sitting on the beach. My mother was already at the TV and my father was making more coffee. “This is a monumental moment in time,” the TV said, “this marks a milestone in earth’s history. As the world waits for what might happen in the next few hours, we will be here Live to bring it to your home and to the world.


The CNN program did nothing else but train their cameras on the ship, waiting anything that might happen next. The Army was there, delegates from many countries had started to arrive, and a stage was set up with a lot of speakers. A man stood on the stage surrounded by men in black suits, the man name was George Bush.
Finally after about an hour of silence, after everyone was set up, George bush spoke. “Dear visitors from space, we welcome you to Earth and to the United States of America. We extend our peaceful hand to your people and offer you no harm. We welcome you in peace.”
About ten minutes passed and some wailing sounds were heard coming form the ships it was regular enough to be a language, but nothing that we could understand. Then, somehow, the language started to alter and then it got easier to distinguish. Finally, it sounded like an English dialect.
Then, loudly, the ship spoke back: “In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.”
No one in the crowd said anything, they were in shock, but George knew what to do. “And the earth was without form and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep,” he said.
The ship was quiet for another ten or maybe fifteen minutes, then, slowly a small door opened and two men stepped out. Everyone gasp because they looked human, they looked like us.
They walked ten feet from their ship towards the stage and stopped. Two men, whom the president pointed two, walked ten feet toward them and stopped. The aliens seen this gesture and bowed, then they walked ten more feet and finally the four men we close enough to each other to shake hands, but they didn‘t shake.
The alien on the left spoke first, everyone could hear, “Earthman, we have come to witness the birth of the Savior. The child born from King David’s line. The child of Galilee.”
The two earth men looked at earth other and the crowd started to murmur.
“Where can we find this child, earthman?”
“Sirs I am sorry to inform you that the Savior was born two thousand years ago in Galilee.”
It seemed as if the aliens were computing our time and finally the alien on the right, said, “I knew we were going to be late. I knew we would miss salvation. Now we are doomed to perish and never see God.” The alien on the left started to weep and held out his hands. A camera trained it’s focus on the hands.
A misty form started to take place in his empty hands and before the world’s eyes a book appeared in those hands. “This is our holy book.” The alien said. “This is the book of God’s people. It starts, ‘In the Beginning God created the heavens and the…”
The earthman on the left finished, “earth. Yes, we also have this book.”
“Our book is old and is most likely incomplete. The end tells of the Savior. And ends like this. ‘And he shall turn the heart of the fathers to the children, and the heart of the children to the fathers, lest I come and smite the earth with a curse.”
The earthman on the left looked to the earthman on the right and spoke, “That is the last verse of the Old Testament.” Then he looked to the alien pair. “We have the new book. The book about the Savior. It is called the New Testament. It documents the Savior’s life and tells of all his works.”
These words excited the aliens, they smiled. “You mean someone wrote of the savior’s lifetime and you have the book?”
“Yes, of course. It is called the New Testament.”
Both the aliens were smiling bigger now. “I don’t suppose that you could share with us the texts and lets us take it back to our home so that all can know about the savior of man kind?”
“You bet we can. We will give it feely just as we have received it.”
“God Bless you,” the alien said.
“But,” the earthling on the right said, “I have some questions.”
“Anything.”
“How did you get the Old Testament in the first place?”
The aliens looked at each other again. The one on the left spoke. “Long ago, when this book was but scrolls we copied them and took them home. You see, our race has visited 90 percent of all life in the universe. But, in all our travels, we have never found any religion that explain how life and all was formed. But, when we found earth, and began to know the Israelites and to know about their God, we were struck in our hearts and we knew that this God truly was the beginning of all things. So, since that time, every planet we visited; planet after planet, we have given them copies of this book, so that they might know the origins of everything. If nothing else this Holy book explains why we all look the same.”
“So, all people on every planet look the same?”
“Of course,” said the alien on the right, “God created us in his image, didn’t he? So, why shouldn’t we all look alike.”
“Yeah, that‘s right,” the earthman said. “I suppose we should.” Then the other earthman spoke up and offered to the aliens to come with them and to get a copy of the New Testament.
The aliens walked with the two men and shook the presidents hand. “You are the leader of this fine world.”
George laughed, “Not yet,” then he laughed harder. “I am the elected president of The United States.”
The aliens turned to the crowd then and said, “We congratulate you and your country on your leadership and on your role in battling the fallen angels armies. Many planets have this thing you call terrorism and it is the same on all planets; Evil.” At this the president and the crowd look shocked.
“Umm, thank you.” Said the president, “May I ask, what is your planets name?”
“You may ask, president, but you would not understand the language, but I can describe it to you: Blue waters, Blue sky, green grass, and beautiful women of all kinds. It is much like this world.”
“One more question?”
“I am sorry president, but we are already two thousand years behind our schedule and are hoping to get the Testament of the Savior so we can take it to all peoples. We are afraid, because we missed his birth and missed his life, that we have missed his salvation as well.”
“Nonsense, gentlemen,” the president said, “you have not missed the saving grace of Jesus. Listen to this, I pray,” George Bush said, “this is something that the Savior said to the world when he was among us: ‘God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.”
“Is that what the man of Galilee said?” The alien on the right said. “That he loved the world.”
“Yes,” the president said. “But, I’d say he meant all the worlds.”
“Yes.” The alien said.”
“So," the president asked, “do you believe in Him?”
“We have always believed the Savior would come. We were hoping to witness his arrival and to witness His birth.”
“God Bless you,” George said, “and welcome to Earth. Make yourself at home and help yourself to what you wish.”


The aliens shook the earthmen’s hands again and started back to their ship. On the way back, one of the aliens said to the other: “God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life. Isn't that wonderful!!”
"Yes," said the other alien," the savior has came after all.”
© Copyright 2006 Thad Presley (thadd at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1196090-And-They-Came