*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1197422-TBD-The-Plane
Rated: E · Fiction · Other · #1197422
Flash Fiction: It was the plane she'd been waiting for. Won Honorable Mention!!
Won Honorable Mention in the January 7 round of "Invalid Item!! Thank you SO MUCH, kelly1202!!!!

Won the MONTHLY prize for January 2007 for "Invalid Item!! Please visit and enter the contest! ...Allow me to show my appreciation to kelly1202 through YOU!! THANK YOU, kelly1202!!!!

The Plane
         Word Count: 226


         Roseanna watched as a plane cut across the night sky. It looks so slow from down here, she thought. A tear gently slid down her cheek. Something inside of her told her it was the plane she’d been waiting for. The plane he was on.

         Her husband stood nervously beside her and she hesitated a moment before allowing him to take her hand. Her heart pounded in her chest. She could feel his presence.

         “What time is it?” she asked shakily.

         George let go of her slowly and brought his wrist to his face. “8:27,” he said with a teary-eyed sigh. “The plane should be landing any minute. Let’s go.”

         As they were led to where they would meet him, Roseanna fought as hard as she could to keep her composure.

         Through a foggy window, one image was clear to her, the image that would forever be etched in her mind. Tears began to fall uncontrollably from her eyes as she watched the line of soldiers unloading the plane, but she kept going, kept walking beside George, gripping his hand so tightly that he was losing feeling in his fingers, but he remained silent.

         When they finally reached the spot, her tears began to fall harder. She ran her hand over the wooden casket. “Why Jack, George?” she cried, collapsing into George’s arms. “Why my baby?”


Written For: "Invalid Item"   by A Guest Visitor
Prompt: Open Prompt.
© Copyright 2007 Stephanie Grace (sapphirefaery at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1197422-TBD-The-Plane