*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1197542-New-Beginnings
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Novel · Romance/Love · #1197542
college lovers reunite seventeen years later
On a typical midsummer night in Cedar Creek, Tennessee, Megan Hunnicutt is a single thirty-six year old mother of sixteen year old fraternal twin sons Jordan and Denver.  Megan is sitting alone at a corner table in the Country Haven, enjoying a rare night alone when a tall, muscular man comes in.  He looks around the room through tired eyes then sighs heavily as he makes his way to the bar.

He smiles tiredly at the bartender and says, "Hi, I'm Ben Pierce.  Could I please have a cup of hot black coffee?"
Carly Donovan looks him up and down with feminine appreciation then pours him a cup of coffee.  She looks into his eyes and says, "Hi, Ben and welcome to Cedar Creek."
Ben takes a tentative sip of coffee then sighs with pleasure as the hot liquid soothes his aching throat.  He glances around the room with idle curiosity until his glance lands on Megan.  He inhales sharply at seeing her then thinks back to their three year relationship during their college years that ended when he left to return to his home in Maine.

Carly watches him and notices the extreme interest he is showing in Megan and says, "Ben, you don't want to have anything to do with that woman.  She left to go to college in Virginia and returned home almost eight months pregnant and single.  Just forget her and concentrate on me."
Ben looks at Carly and says, "How do you know she wasn't married when she got pregnant?  Please excuse me."
With those words, Ben gets up and walks over to where Megan is sitting.  He looks her over then takes a deep breath for courage and says, "Hello, Meggi.  Do you believe in ghosts?"

Megan jumps slightly at the sound of his voice then looks up past a muscled torso into the blue eyes of her sons.  She looks him over, smiles at his nickname and says, "Hello, Ben.  Yes, I believe in ghosts.  Will you please join me?  What brings you to Cedar Creek?"
Ben joins her, sets his cup down, wipes his eyes and says, "I finalized the paperwork transferring ownership of WCCM from Paul Bowen to me.  Everything will be final on September 1. How are you doing?"

Megan smiles and says, "I'm good, Ben, except for feeling restless and lonely.  I know Paul wanted to sell the station soon but I didn't think he would do it this quick.  I'm glad you bought the station. What made you decide to buy a station?"
Ben sighs and says, "It was a lot of things.  Mainly I want to spend more time with my children and I was ordered to stop touring by my doctor."

"What made you decide on WCCM?"
"I saw your name on the employee list for WCCM and wanted to work with you again.  Are you married or seeing anyone?"
"No, I'm not married and I am not seeing anyone either.  How about you?  Are you married or seeing anyone?"
"I was married but it ended when my wife was killed in a car accident.  I was seeing someone but I broke up with her in April.  Do you have any children?"

Megan smiles and says, "I have twin sixteen year old sons, Jordan and Denver.  Do you have any children?"
Ben smiles, reaches into his pocket and pulls out a picture.  He hands it to her and says, "These are my four children; Matt, 15, Adam, 15, Amber, 14 and Jami, 14.  Matt and Adam are my adopted sons.  Do you have any pictures of your sons?"
Megan reaches into her pocket, pulls her wallet out and hands him a picture.  She smiles and says, "These are my sons, Jordan and Denver.  How long are you staying in Cedar Creek?"

Ben sighs heavily and says, "I was planning on going back tonight.  Why?"
"Can you stay here until Friday when I start my vacation?  Jordan, Denver and I want to get out of Cedar Creek for a while."
"Would the three of you like to go with my children and I to Maine for a couple of weeks?"
Megan searches his eyes and says, "I'd love to, Ben, if you are sure we won't be too much trouble."

Ben rests his hand on hers, squeezes lightly and says, "I'm sure, honey.  You can meet my parents."
Megan smiles and says, "I accept your kind invitation.  What do you say to us getting out of here and going to my place?  We can talk in private more there."
Ben looks at her and says, "I like your idea, Megan.  Will your sons be there?"
Megan checks her watch and says, "They should be.  Come on, Ben, let's go home."


 

© Copyright 2007 cashfan (cashfan476691 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1197542-New-Beginnings