*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1198771-Dear-Me
Rated: E · Letter/Memo · Other · #1198771
My entry for the Dear Me, contest.
Dear Me,
         A new year brings with it hope. I have that for myself. 2007 is going to be the Year of Change.
         I should begin by committing to the fact that my mother is just plain nuts. Nothing I do is ever going to be ‘good enough’ or ‘right enough’ for her. So, first things first – stop catering to her feelings. Stop giving in to her demands. If I say ‘no’, mean it. If I say “It hurts my feelings.” Stand by it.
         Second I have got to clean out that attic. It is crowded with many memories and old clothes. I’ll plan a day when everyone is out of the house. They are worse than I am, and they will only try to hold on to junk they no longer need. And in case I forgot, I need to give back those ballet slippers my sister loaned me, before she asks again. They’re hanging from the stationary bike handle, behind the glass table with the Easter bunny on it.
         Third, I need to start saving extra ‘me’ money. I need to promise to make more ‘me’ time. I mean, have I looked at those nails lately? And, when was the last time I spent two hours (uninterrupted) just writing? I need to make more time for important things and not care so much about the little, insignificant things in life. That UNO game I had Friday night with the kids - important. The beds being made by 9:00 AM? Not so important.
         While I’m at it, I should probably start to learn the mantra, “Let it go.” So, fourth will be that this year I will learn how to ignore the useless nonsense that goes on around me. I will focus on the important, and ignore everything else.
         Fifth, I will promise myself one last thing. I WILL finish my book this year. I WILL do this because it is a good book. It is something I am proud of and something I have worked hard on for the last three years. This is the year of change. Changed thinking brings about changed results. I will, and I can do these things. And, if I do not, then the only person I can blame is – me.

Sincerely,
Me
© Copyright 2007 Andolina (memo at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1198771-Dear-Me