*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1199832-Dark-Wings---Chapter-One
by Namine
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Fantasy · #1199832
A gift and a confrontation
She stepped lightly as she made her way through the shadowed forest, the bright rays from the moon making her journey a bit easier. Maneuvering carefully over fallen trees and lone branches, she made sure she made little or no noise. Her pace quickened as anticipation filled her.

The sound of rushing water drifted swiftly to her ears. She reached for her daggers and gripped the hilts with such force that her knuckles soon turned white. The pulsating magical energy effected her already. Her body hummed softly, vibrations that stemmed from somewhere deep down coursing through her in ripples. The feeling grew in intensity with every step she took.

Finally reaching the threshold where forest met clearing, she pressed her back to the nearest tree without looking at what lay beyond, needing a moment to compose herself. The magic there was more potent than anything she had ever felt. It radiated with such a tremendous power that if she hadn't been so stubborn she would have turned tail and fled for home a while back.

Her chest heaved heavily along with her gasping breaths. Sweat trailed down her face and back. She attempted to stuff down the bitterness that rose at her unwonted vulnerability to magic. Must be one of those wonderful repercussions from having my wings cut off.

A vehement sneer darkened her face as she thought of how much easier it would have been to get there with wings, how much easier a multitude of things would have been for her.

Keira brushed the thought aside angrily, knowing it was useless to waste her energy fretting over something she couldn't change.

Refocusing, she forced calm on herself, unsheathing her daggers while hoping she wouldn't need them. The magic of the ponds usually drew animals and beasts of varying levels of hostility and viciousness to the waters edge. The scar that ran down her right side and curved to her spine throbbed in rememberance of her last unpleasant experience at a faerie pond.

Taking a calming breath, fully prepared to simply toss a dagger into an unsuspecting eye, she spun and faced the clearing, poised and tense.

Her breath caught somewhere in her chest as her eyes fell upon the most breathtaking sight she had ever seen in her seventeen years of life.

The faerie pond was otherworldly in it's beauty. Scintillating balls of what she could only assume were some kind of energy twirled and floated above a clear, luminous pond, their dance slow and captivating. A small, shimmering waterfall tumbled over the edge of a rocky outcrop and splashed lightly into the pond, barely disturbing the surface. Glowing crystals shone from below the surface, casting the pond in a soft yellow radiance.

It took her a short moment to remember how to function, completely entranced by the sheer beauty of the phenomenon before her.

Stepping carefully towards the pond, she slid her daggers back into the hard leather sheaths her father made for her, not sensing any immediate danger but still remaining alert.

As she neared the glowing waters the force of the magic energy increased ten fold. Her body feelt heavy, dragging, like gravity had escalated. Contradicting the pull on her body, what seemed like every hair on her body stood on end.

She was verging on collapse when she finally reached the edge, almost not able to appreciate the crystals that littered the bottom and sides of the pond of all different shapes and sizes.

Her attention was caught when a little ball of light fluttered toward her. From that close she could see fine, translucent wings sprouting from the little ball. So it's alive? I've never seen such a thing.

Something compelled her to extend her hand towards the being. It landed in the palm of her hand, sending waves of warmth up her arm and through her body. It was gone as soon as it came, floating off to return to it's companions.

She shook off her wonder at what just transpired and sat down cross-legged. Or rather, she dropped heavily and quite ungracefully to the ground, her body all but giving out on her, forcing her legs under her so she sat cross-legged. She would never admit it to anyone, but it was taking everything she had to keep from simply falling over and giving her body the rest it screamed for.

Flipping her long brown hair over her shoulders so it wouldn't fall into the water, she took a long breath, clearing her mind, letting the warm golden glow wash over her and soothe her aching body. Placing her fingertips so they just brushed the surface of the warm water, she closed her eyes and waited.

She waited for a long time, her arms, neck, and back becoming stiff and sore from holding the same position for too long. Her legs were asleep, almost fully numb. She couldn't feel her toes; they were completely numb. Frustration and disappointment swept through her before she could stop it, but she couldn't understand why nothing was happening. Or maybe she just didn't want to admit that she might understand.

I don't want to admit I'm a freak.

Just as she was about to give up and head back home with nothing to show for her troubles, a warm breeze caressed her face and ruffled her hair. The colored stones of magic that dangled from around her neck began to shine brightly. She opened her eyes in time to see a tiny hand emerge from the water and touch her finger.

The faerie burst from the water with a flourish, twirling several times and sending water droplets flying in every direction. One landed on Keira's forearm and her eyes lingered on it and how it glimmered like a drop of liquid glitter.

She raised her eyes and found the faerie studying her closely. She, like all of her kind, was only about the size of Keira's hand. Hair the color of the leaves in the summer flowed down to her knees in waves, pink flowers scattered throughout. A silky green dress adorned her small body. Vines curled gently around her arms and legs.

Her deep green eyes bore into Keira's, seeing down through to her very soul. The brunette trembled slightly. Amazing, the power such a tiny being holds.

Her voice was light and melodic, "You are Kakarian."

Keira nodded even though it was clearly a statement.

"You have no wings."

Her head bowed, shame burning through her. She heard that everytime, but that time it hit deeper. Maybe after so many times of hearing it out loud, of being tormented, teased, bullied, hurt, hated...for something she didn't even choose, for a reason she didn't even understand...maybe it was really starting to get to her, to tear her apart.

She brought her fists to her lap and clenched them. The pain in her body was forgotten, leaving the pain that was driven with stakes into her heart and the ever-present self-loathing.

"Look at me, child."

She lifted her eyes to the faerie's reluctantly, tears pooling in them and soon spilling down her cheeks freely. The faerie seemed to be searching for something, and somehow the panic registered within Keira at the darkness she could find within her. Everyone tells me I'm evil, filled with darkness. I don't want her to deny me her magic.

A smile suddenly pulled at the edges of her lips. "I feel no evil within you."

The brunette released the breath she hadn't realized she'd been holding in a loud rush. Relief at the faerie's words eased some of her tension. She unclenched her aching hands and dropped her head into them.

"That is, I feel no prevailing evil within you," she amended delicately. "There is evil within us all, wingless one, be it dormant or active. Yours is the easiest manipulated due to it's nature."

Confusion spread over Keira's face. "Nature of the evil? Why is the evil in me different than anyone else? Evil is evil, isn't it?"

The faerie didn't respond, only stared at Keira intently, that odd searching look in her eyes again.

"You don't know of your fate?"

Obviously not. "No."

The faerie sighed softly. "It's not for me to tell you."

"But-"

"Be careful, be strong, and use my gift wisely. It will not fail you when all else does."

With those cryptic words she dropped gracefully into the water feet first in a display of sparkles and light. A large water droplet splashed up and Keira reflexiely reached out and caught it in her hand, marveling when it didn't break apart and flow through her fingers.

Wisps of white wind swirled around the droplet before it glowed a pure white, stinging her eyes. The glow subsided gradually and a solid green sphere remained in her hand, about the size of her thumbnail.

It wasn't like her other stones. They all had many cuts and edges. This one was smooth like marble and emitted a soft light. She could see through the stone to the light green center where the light emanated from. The shade of green gradually became darker as it travelled outward, so dark it was almost black at the outer edge. It was warm on Keira's palm.

The brunette couldn't even begin to guess what magic the faerie had bestowed upon her. She almost felt afraid to access it's power because of the blaringly obvious difference between it and her other stones. I wish the faerie would have given me a little more of a hint than 'Use it wisely'.

The new predicament only added to her frustration as fresh tears trailed down her cheeks. She almost decided to try and call the tight-lipped faerie back out, but figured it would probably be for nothing.

The need to go home, curl up in her bed and hide from everything overwhelmed her. She brought the green stone up to her necklace where the three others hung. It attached itself to the chain with the other stones. They clanged against her mothers necklace; a silver chain with two silver wings.

"Well, well. So this is what you were up to."

The brunette whirled around at the sound of the baritone voice. There stood Chale, son of Head Councilman Redon, cocky smirk in place. Blonde hair, green eyes, stunning golden wings, strong, attractive, and arrogant to a fault. How did he get so close without me noticing? My grief must be affecting my senses.

Keira attempted to stand, forgetting that her legs were completely numb. They gave out, and she fell back to the ground again. Looking at him, the stricken expression on her face wiped the smirk from his lips. His eyes widened in alarm when he caught sight of her tears.

"Hey, are you alright?"

Why is he here? Does he want to mock me? She hastily threw walls up to guard her expression. Her voice was harsh when she snapped, "What are you doing here?"

Muscular arms crossed over a broad chest. "Well I was wondering what a lovely little thing like you was doing sneaking into the woods at ungodly hours of the night, so I followed. And it seems you've found quite the treasure."

So he is here to mock me. The brunette narrowed her eyes warily. "Go home, Chale. Leave me alone."

The smirk returned. Amused, he said, "What? Is there something here I can't see? Something you're trying to hide? It's not nice to be greedy."

Rolling her eyes, thouroughly annoyed and both physically and emotionally drained, she attempted to stand again. "Fine. If you won't leave, I will."

Keira struggled to stand, and he was instantly by her side, holding her arm to steady her. She could feel the brush of the downy soft feathers of his wing against the arm he wasn't grasping. When her legs straightened, she brushed him off roughly.

"Are you hurt? Let me help." He actually sounded concerned. She might have believed it if there were different circumstances, her not being the target of the towns scrutiny and hatred for one.

"How noble of you," she responded, sarcasm heavily lacing her voice. "But I don't need any help." Her legs betrayed her by shaking violently. She glared at them.

Suddenly there were fingers on her cheek, wiping her tears, and the brush of feathers again. "What are these for?"

She jerked away, walls coming down, wide, wild eyes locked onto his. It was too much; the added pain of him so openly mocking her, faking kindness and compassion.

Keira turned and ran as fast as her recovering legs would take her, stumbling a few times, ignoring his calls.

I need to get home.





© Copyright 2007 Namine (littlexone at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1199832-Dark-Wings---Chapter-One