*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1200795-Mother-Natures-Moods
Rated: E · Prose · Nature · #1200795
Awarded "Rising Star" Recognition - Mother Nature: she's a character, to be sure!
Mother Nature pulled on her grey sweats early this morning -- sluggishly.  I saw her when I went out to walk the dog, but she was less than welcoming.  She appeared to say, "Go about your business quietly and do not disturb for I am still in a fog and not quite ready to deal."  She gave me the cold shoulder.

I, also in my sweatpants and a T-shirt, drove to the gym and did not break the silence with radio, tape or CD.  Perspiration dotted my brow when I heard her pelt the club roof with rain as if to get my attention.  Ignoring her, I completed my workout; but when I made my mad dash to the car, she slapped my face, whipping up a cold wind to sting my cheek.  Such a greeting!

I don't know what cosmic caffeine she ingested, but later she warmed up to me.  I saw her visage peer under the visor of my mini-van window, although she was not bold enough to stay.  She seemed afraid of my rebuke for so unkind a daybreak greeting.

Again, she tried to get my attention mid-day by rapping at my window.  She reached out a naked branch and drew it across the glass pane.  Like fingernails on a chalkboard, it sent a shudder through my body and put me in no mood to share her company.  Besides, there was laundry and vacuuming to be done.

She was a tease when I went out to get the mail.  I felt her breath tickle the back of my neck.  She blew my hair into my eyes, momentarily blinding me, and said, "Guess who!"  When I mumbled under my breath, "I almost stepped out in front of a car because of you," she quieted.  But she couldn't resist scattering my bills and junk mail across the lawn.

How could I not soften later in the day as I ran my errands and loaded groceries in the trunk, for she invited me to play?  Hide and Seek seemed to be the game of choice -- or was it Tag?  I saw her smile brightly before ducking behind a cloud.  I searched the sky but after a while decided she'd gone. Only when I turned my back did she reach out with shimmering beams to touch my shoulder and say, "You're it!"

She must have worn herself out, for she dimmed the lights and curled up for a nap.  She breathed the rhythmic breath -- the gentle in and out -- of someone sleeping.  I let her rest while I cooked supper.

As I strolled hand-in-hand with Sam early this evening, I saw her going through her closet.  She appeared to be having a wardrobe crisis, or at the very least, was indecisive.  It seemed she had big plans for the evening but wasn't quite sure what to wear.  She first outfitted herself in classic blue and drew on a fluffy white scarf and muff.  But she proceeded to dress in, and discard, one gown after another -- purple, pink, scarlet and grey.  I thought, frustrated, she might give up and call it a day.

But before I donned my jammies, the dog and I took one more walk.  There she was -- draped in black velvet and adorned with diamonds.  She was breath-taking!  I saw her wink as she sent a little "bling" to me -- a shooting star -- and invited me to join her.  I laughed and said, "I'm afraid my own beauty would pale next to yours."  Declining her invitation, I wished her well and headed to the comfort of home and bed.  I think hers will be a long night.
© Copyright 2007 irisjustwrite has granddogger (faulkca at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1200795-Mother-Natures-Moods