*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1201205-Letting-Go
by Shadow
Rated: E · Short Story · Teen · #1201205
A young girl who's life doesn't go the way she imagined. It falls apart instead.
[i]Don’t you wish that sometimes you were invisible? Or that you were noticed by others? Well, for me, I wish I was noticed and invisible at the same time. You could say I was in between. When I was noticed, I wanted to be invisible. And when I was invisible, I wanted to be noticed.
But for me, Rene Leigh Alexander, life didn’t go the way as I had hoped. Want to know my story and how my hopes were shattered and dreams broken? Well, let me tell you my story. Beginning with the first day back to school………..[/i]
Westerly High is not at all the place where you can go to relax. It’s where you get pushed around, yelled at, and lost. But having gone here for a year, I knew my way around. The huge terracotta brick building was named after my best friend’s great, great grandfather, Jefferson Burg. Well, one of my best friends, that is. I have two. Jo Nylon and Mattie Burg. Jo is short for Josefina and Mattie was short for Madison, duh no doubt.
Let me take a few minutes here to tell you a little more about Jo and Mattie. Jo is the prettiest of the ‘trio.’ Long silky waves of chestnuts cascade down to her rear. It is usually curled or straightened and pulled up in a ponytail. Her skin is flawless, no zits (blemishes as my older sister calls them), no freckles. She’s curvy. More filled out in the chest than Mattie or me. Jo is my height, five feet and two inches; she has laughing blue eyes and a perfect-shaped mouth. Her voice is melodic and captivating.
Mattie, on the other hand, is not as pretty. But she is bubbly cute, unlike me. Curly dark red hair and a slender nose dusted with freckles. She lightly tanned, rather than Mexican brown like Jo. Mattie is the tallest of us three. Jo insists in her indignant tone ‘she’s only five feet, five!’ But I know Mattie loathes her height.
Anyway where was I before I was describing my friends? Oh yeah, talking about how the school was named. And now, back to my boring life at school.
++++++++++++++++++++++
“My parents announced to me that I get to invite two friends two my house for my birthday,” Jo was saying. But I vaguely heard her voice. Instead of listening, I was staring unblinkingly at him. Do you know who ‘him’ is? None other than the boy of my dreams. Tyson Lawrence. Tall, lean, a little muscular. Thick, wavy black locks, grinning chocolate brown eyes. Two dimples that showed crystal clear when he smiled.
“Rene!” I jerked out of my trance and looked sheepishly at Jo. “Weren’t you listening?”
“Of course. You were saying something about your birthday and two friends coming over?”
© Copyright 2007 Shadow (teenauthor at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1201205-Letting-Go