*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1201914-The-Final-Morning
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Emotional · #1201914
The final morning of two lovers. It captures their precious last moments together.
The piercing tone of his alarm awoke Kyle instantly. The bright morning light invading his inner, forcing him to squint as he fumbled for the clock. Suddenly, the nausea hit him. He flicked off the whirring noise that had awoken him and sank back into his lover’s arms.
  Instantly, tears filled his eyes as he gaze at his sleeping beauty. Her eyes shut as she lay dreaming, her thoughts uninterrupted. The previous evening, they had made love, the entirety, eyes locked together as they became one. And later, they lay in a warm embrace, Heidi, sobbing quietly in fear of the dawning next few hours that would, very soon, become a realisation. Kyle had stayed strong, reassuring her that everything would be okay, that he'd always love her. Inside, he was collapsing into a pit of despair. How would he cope without her? They'd spent the last three months together, first as friends before it grew into something much more.
He'd felt for sometime this intensifying feeling for her. Only recently had he come to the realisation, that he was in love. They were a great couple, the envy of their friends and onlookers. It was clear for everyone to see that the feeling was mutual. They were two young lovers living in a fantasy world, a bubble that no one could touch.
  But the bubble was about to burst, through no control of their own. Heidi had to return to Copenhagen to resume her studies.
  And there, as Kyle took in her image, he fell numb, feeling no sorrow, no regrets, no emotion at all. She stirred and slowly opened her eyes. She smiled at the man she idolised, before her eyes showed her sadness. Leaning over, she kissed Kyle, her lips soft and warm.
  As they packed, nothing was said. Heidi deep in her own thoughts, trying not to think, Kyle, still in his own place, oblivious of the outside world. He left to get a mug of tea from the cook tent. Looking around him, everywhere, a memory of her. Smiling, chatting... 'Don't', he told himself.
  "Morning", came the welcome from Peter. No jovial salute or beaming grin. Instead, replaced by a comforting smile and a look of feeling. He knew exactly what his friend was going through, he'd seen it coming for a while. He felt his friend’s pain, and it hurt to see him in such a way.
  "Hey".
  "How you doing?" Hardly needing to hear the response.
  "Fine. You?"
  Kyle looked lost, yet unemotional. It confused Peter as he'd had several deep conversations regarding how Kyle would be. He expected him to be a real mess.
  "Fine. Just thought that I'd see Heidi off with you. If that's okay?"
  "Sure, lift'll be here in a minute".
  With that he turned and wandered back to his tent in a daze. He found her bags packed outside, awaiting Chris to pick her up. He found Heidi sat on his bed, head in her hands, shaking uncontrollably, crying.
  A lump formed in his throat, 'Don't cry', he told himself. He sat down on the bed and held her. She turned to meet his safe hold and buried her head in his chest. He could think of nothing to say to comfort her. The best thing to do was not to think, to stay in this mental hole that he had buried himself in.
  A car horn beeped outside. This was it. Three months of absolute fantasy, a time so personal and true, it was beyond perfection. The next minute or so was a complete blur for Kyle. Luggage was loaded, Peter had said his goodbye and this pinnacle moment that had been looming, was present.
Kyle stayed strong, holding his lover in his arms. He wished it to last forever. Pulling away, they gazed into each other's eyes. This would be the last time that he'd look into those beautiful blue eyes, the last time that he'd feel them reaching out for him.
  "I love you", she said through trembling lips, trying hard to stay in control.
  "I love you too, always."
  With that, she turned away and took her seat in the vehicle that was to part the emotional couple.
"Good to go?" Chris asked.
  Heidi just nodded, staring straight ahead. The engine struck up, seat belts were fastened and they headed up the field. Kyle followed intensely with his eyes until they were out of view.
  Gone.
  He felt dazed, queasy and empty.
  Peter moved over to him and offered a comforting arm. To which, Kyle fell into, giving in to an overwhelming wave of emotion that forced his whole body to crumble in a fit of despair and loss. And there he knelt, crying uncontrollably as wave after wave hit him.
  Peter held him tightly, and realised, that there was nothing he could say or do that could console his friend.
© Copyright 2007 Andy Steel (steelandrew at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1201914-The-Final-Morning