*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1202383-The-Hood-or-Iraq
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Essay · Emotional · #1202383
Where is he safest?
I've asked friends what area they thought was more fatal: the hood or Iraq? I've got several different responses. I've been told the hood is worse than the chaotic Iraq. But then others would say he or she would rather be in the hood than take a chance overseas.

I grew up in what was known as the hood. I was born and raised in Detroit, MI which recently is deemed one of the worst cities in the country( I think its bullsh--, but anyway...). I have been sheltered most of my life. I did not experience or see as much growing up because my mother kept my brothers and I under her protective wing. She went through alot as a young woman and mother of three. It was tough; my mother had to grow up quick. She only prayed that the mistakes she made would not effect us.

I knew how bad the city was, but God was watching me because I never experienced anything terrible. I was able to finish highschool and even completed three years of college. The areas in which i went to school was dangerous; Cass Technical High sat in the middle of gangster heaven. At the time, there use to be prostitutes and other negative forces around the school. In the four years I went there, I never had a problem.

I enlisted into the military sometime later. I have seen more in the military then at home. My co-workers couldn't believe I was from Detroit because I appeared to be so innocent and naive to them. At first, this bothered me- was I supposed to smoke a joint to become more mature and knowledgeable about life.

I am no longer bothered about how innocent I am, and I have become more mature and open-minded since I've been in the military. I still have my beliefs and morals, but I am not as naive and judgemental as I use to be.

I have been in the military nearly three years, and even though I am often irritated, its no different from home. But then again, I haven't made it to Iraq yet. Is it really that bad over there?

I have a close friend(of whom I am recently dating) that will be stationed there for some time. I worry more for him than myself. I shouldn't think the worse, but I am scared. Will he make it home alive? And if he does, will he be mentally and physically together?

Truth be told, when God says its time for you to go, then its time. Death can present itself at anytime and anywhere. If it is meant to be, than thats it.

Maybe I am too negative, hell I could go before him. Or maybe I am just worrying over nothing; we'll both be at home on leave talking about our military experiences while sitting on the front porch and watching the sunset.

I myself will be close to Iraq, but I am not really that scared. I just want to get this part of my life over and done with. Hopefully after all this, I'll be back home chillin and living life. I have plans, goals, and dreams that I would like to persue when my military career is over. I'm ready to move on to something else.

I can't really say whats worse: drugs, murder and proverty or war. I really dont think it matters. I was just looking for reasurance that if the hood is worse, my best friend would have a good chance of making it home. That sounds real crazy, doesn't it? I guess what I should be doing is praying and letting God handle it.

After the worse is over, the Sun will rise and things will get better. Besides having concern, I have faith things will change for the good. But whether I am in the Motor City or overseas fighting for freedom, I am in the protective arms of my Creator. Doesn't matter where I am and how dangerous the place is, I can trust that I am safe. (to be cont.)

© Copyright 2007 MAHAGONY80 (mscreativity80 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1202383-The-Hood-or-Iraq