*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1202448-My-Baby-Girl
by kc
Rated: E · Short Story · Personal · #1202448
A moms memories of a child growing up, then and now
You know , it used to be we were so close.  We did everything together. We slept together;  went to Day Care together; grocery shopping together; Dr. together ; gymnastics together; read stories together and even gassed up the car together. 

One of the best quality times we ever had was when we had to get gas for the car.  We saved it for early morning on our way to work and Day Care just so we could get chocolate milk and a donut. 

I remember the only way to get you to sleep at night was to read you a story,  twenty minutes.  I don't think we ever missed a night  I also remember the only way I could get to sleep, some nights was to have you read a story, even though your version was more from memory than actual words.  If I should wake up you would be there asleep with the book in your hand. 

I remember when you caught pneumonia how week and fragile you were, unable to even stand up for a chest x ray.  I also remember the allergy tests, sixteen scrapes on the back to test what you were allergic to. Did you cry?  Oddly no, not even after we decided you needed weekly shots

I remember our trips to the ocean and our trip to Disneyland, and all the other hot
spots that vacation took us to. You met every Disney character and received their autograph, ab d I  don't think there is a ride in the wolrd that you aren't ready to challenge.

I remember our  first shopping trip for your first dance, and ultimately every year after that.  It was one of those mother-daughter moments like getting the gas. 


But as years go by I feel like I am losing you.  You will always be OUR baby girl but MY baby girl is growing up.  You are  no longer this helpless person who is totally dependent on me for every little thing you need or want.  You are this beautiful young lady who wants to have her independence and freedom

In another year you will be graduated from high school  You will either go to college or be living on your own.  There will be nobody telling  you what time to go to bed.  There will be nobody to ask you if your report is done yet.  There will be nobody to do your laundry or cook your meals  You will be totally on your own .  We can always look back at the memories we had but I hope we can continue to make more.
© Copyright 2007 kc (karen2007 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1202448-My-Baby-Girl