*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1203486-They-Parked-Too-Close
Rated: E · Short Story · Emotional · #1203486
A fictional piece written for The Writer's Cramp
They Parked Too Close



I drove into the closest parking space I could find; the one by the exit to the highway. The mini-van beside me had straddled the line, so I had to squeeze out of my door. I bumped my knee. This made me mutter words about the driver of the mini-van that would cause my mother to wash my mouth out with soap, if I were still living at home.

I glared at the window of the offending vehicle parked to close to mine. I was sure my glare would be felt when the owner returned. That would show them.

In the window was a Baby on Board sign. Two toddler sized car seats were fastened in the back. A blanket and two stuffed animals were on the seat between them. My glare softened a little. Parking squarely in the middle of a parking space was probably the last thing on Momma's mind. Well, she should learn to keep alert!
So, I cast one more glare and started toward the store.

It was then I noticed the slip of paper on the ground close to the mini-van driver side door. I would have left it there except, I wanted to prove to the dirver I was more thoughtful than she was. So I picked it up.

An article had been cut from a newspaper. As I read, tears flowed unchecked down my face. The article told of an accident that had killed the father of twin two year old toddlers.

My errand at the store was forgotten. I squeezed back into my car and waited. When I saw the mother pushing her cart full of groceries and twins, I got out of my car. When she neared her vehicle, I handed her the article, gave her a hug and drove back home.


For every vehicle that parks too close, there is a life as precious as mine!
© Copyright 2007 Daizy May (daizy at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1203486-They-Parked-Too-Close