*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1203591-The-Last-Knight
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Fantasy · #1203591
Incomplete story about a knight and his companions.
The Last Knight

Intro

On the world Argalia three great races control almost all of the land. They’re the Gor, Men, and Mandrettes. The Gor controlled the largest amount of land out of all of the different races. They had gray skin from the dusty mountains where they mostly reside and glaring yellow eyes, used to see through dark caves and dungeons, also characterize the Gor. To further describe them, the Gor also will go into the endless sand dunes on the outskirts of their mountain barrier regularly to gather the Ka-Haid tribe men for feasting on.

The Men and Mandrettes live a considerable length away from the mountains where the Gor mainly stay. They both have made an alliance to join forces against the Gor but each race knows that if the Gor are ever defeated war will be far from over since the Mandrettes have been getting more and more interested in the large amounts of land the Humans have been winning in certain skirmishes and conquests.

While Lumen, the king of the Mandrettes, waits for the Gor to be defeated so he can make his great plan to take over the Men, King Gothrin of the Men has made a group of five highly skilled knights that fight for the king and the church. It is even said that one of these knights could single-handedly defeat fifty soldiers without more than a scratch for a battle wound. These knights are called the Dark Angels. They are called Dark Angels because even though they fight for the church and God they are still killing people and there is almost no excuse for murder in the eyes of a Man.

Veldor, a knight in King Gothrin’s army, was aspiring to be one of these Dark Angels just like his comrades Joden and Saudis and his brother Garmin. Each day all of them would go off and look for petty bandits and thieves to hone their skills on. Garmin and Veldor usually trained together while Saudis reluctantly trained with Joden. Saudis was always the most stubborn and independent out of the four friends. Joden was more of a leader than a killer, he made sure his friends never wronged an innocent and did the right thing in every situation. “Why do we need our mother to come this time?” Saudis would often complain whenever the four companions set out to train together. Even though Saudis and Joden had different ways of thinking they were still very close friends and would die for each other.

Autumn

The cold autumn wind struck Veldor’s bare face and he was almost instantly consumed with sadness and hate. It was a reminder to the day that his beloved father was murdered. Every day of Veldor’s life was never absent of the thought that he might’ve been able to stop the Mandrette that stabbed his father in the stomach causing a fatal wound. Veldor could still see his father clutching his stomach with blood running down his shirt.

Tears began to form in Veldor’s eyes and he quickly shook the memory from his mind, as he was very accustomed to. Trying to control his emotions he tried to refocus his attention on whether or not to return to the kingdom or continue on his abnormally long walk. Almost every day Veldor would take a walk outside of the kingdom’s walls without even bringing his sword. Garmin always told Veldor that one day he would regret walking unarmed but that day had yet to come.
Remembering Garmin didn’t know where he was Veldor decided to venture back to Garmin’s house.

*

Veldor quietly opened the door to his and Garmin’s home hoping not to let Garmin know he left without telling him. Veldor began to close the door when he was inside the house when he heard a loud roar. Veldor’s heart jumped up to his throat and he quickly faced the study where the noise came from. He slowly grabbed a letter opener on a corner table near the door and approached the study with nimble footsteps. The noise sounded again, this time a bit quieter. Veldor clutched the letter opener tightly, as he was only a few feet from the study’s doorway. He poked his head inside the study and he heard the loud roar again. Veldor swung his head to confront the beast that kept roaring but he was disappointed when he realized the noise came from Garmin’s favorite couch and the roar was Garmin snoring. Veldor was embarrassed that he thought there was a beast in his house when it was his own brother although, Veldor thought, Garmin could easily fit in as a beast since he was six and a half feet tall and easily over two hundred fifty pounds that was almost all muscle.

Veldor left Garmin alone in the study and put on his sword and armor, except for the helmet that he fastened to Blizzard his white horse, and galloped out of the kingdom gates once again. He felt like he cut quite the picture, with his emblem, a sun on the horizon, on his surcoat and his sword’s gleaming pommel. All the peasants smiled at Veldor as he rode through the poorer section of the kingdom that wasn’t protected by the strong walls. Veldor could already see himself as a Dark Angel, wearing new silver armor with gold trimming and a deadly new sword that had his emblem on the hilt and pommel.

Veldor tugged on the reins of Blizzard turning it off the main road and into the wilderness. The foliage wasn’t plentiful making it easy for the horse to trot through the forest. Veldor casually brushed dead tree branches away from his face. The brown and orange leaves were all off the tall gray trees. Veldor felt a feeling of familiarity and safety when his eyes saw the small wooden cabin next to a large cliff overlooking the entire wilderness. And next to the cabin was a fairly big stream with an old stone bridge across it.

Veldor rode over the bridge and dismounted Blizzard and tied him to a tree near the clear stream. Veldor grabbed a small book from one of the pockets of his saddle. He walked into the cabin that only had a chair, table, and bed. Veldor sat in the chair and opened the book that had the words ‘The Hero of the First Crusade’. It was a book about Gurtez Hunth who was a soldier when the Mandrettes and Humans led an epic attack on the Gor hundreds of years ago. Gurtez’s commanding officer was to lead his army to flank the Gor’s massive army when the Humans and Mandrettes attacked the Gor’s main force in the Dead Mountains. When the time came for Gurtez and his comrades to flank the enemy, Gurtez’s commanding officer fled the battlefield and left Gurtez and his friends with a life changing decision; to flee with their officer or help their friends and families but risk losing their life. While most of the soldiers ran from the battle Gurtez stayed with a couple hundred other soldiers, which was like a speck of dirt compared to the monstrous Gor army. Gurtez took command of the small army and continued with the flanking maneuver that they were supposed to do. With an earth-trembling war cry the small force charged into the Gor and cut down many enemies. Gurtez, with his two heavy iron axes, beheaded, gutted, chopped, sliced, and disemboweled hundred of Gor without stopping. The soldiers, encouraged by Gurtez’s example, fought ferociously and were soon right beside Gurtez making the Gor more and more frightened. But, the Gor had a monster the Men and Mandrettes never knew existed. It was said to have been able to crush hundreds of men with one snap of its jaws. Gurtez and his men didn’t have against the unreal monstrosity. In one swift movement of its slimy head the entire army, with the exception of just about twenty men, was in the monster’s mouth. The soldiers screamed and cursed as they were slowly eaten alive. The small amount of soldiers left alive checked themselves and realized Gurtez was in the belly of the beast, dead. The crusade was a failure and the Mandrettes and Humans would attempt to defeat the Gor again for a very long time. In the kingdom of Men there is a ten-foot statue built of Gurtez honoring his loyalty and steadfast courage in a time of peril. As for the traitors, they were all punished until death for they should have helped in the flanking maneuver and been in the mouth of the monster.

Veldor read the long book many times before but it inspired him so much to be like Gurtez. Though he did not exactly want to be eaten alive by a huge monster in some far away place. Veldor searched the book for where he last stopped a few days ago. Veldor found the spot and marked it using his dagger as a bookmark. He got up began taking off his gauntlets but stopped. He stood there for minutes listening, he was sure he heard a clang of metal against metal like the sound of a sword hitting a shield or armor.

Veldor left the book and the dagger and walked out of the cabin. He could hear voices. Familiar voices close by. Veldor walked in the direction they were coming from. He came to a large clearing in the forest where he saw two men fighting. One wielded two short swords and the other fought with one long sword with a cross hilt. The one with two swords ducked and the long sword slashed above his head and then with one sword he slashed the calf of the man with the long sword’s right leg. The man yelled and the other stood up and pressed both of his swords against the man’s neck.

Veldor came out of hiding. “It seems that Saudis beat you as usual, Joden.” Laughed Veldor. Joden and Saudis were both surprised to see Veldor come out of nowhere.

Joden turned to Saudis. “You hit me with the sharp side of your sword didn’t you?” Joden questioned Saudis angrily.

“If I did you’d only have one leg at the moment.” Saudis answered but Joden still didn’t believe him and said nothing.

“You know, you should be training more often now since we’re getting an unusual amount of activity in the mountains.” Saudis told Veldor.

“What? A few mountain men don’t scare me at all.” Veldor answered proudly.

“Gor scare you though.” Saudis smiled but Joden looked at Saudis with a serious look in his eyes.

“I think they scare everything that breathes, my friend.” Joden said slowly recalling his first time looking into a Gor’s lifeless eyes. With it’s mouth wide open Joden could still see the blood shining on the monster’s teeth. But that was many years ago and he did not see one for a long time.

Every one of them, including Garmin, had killed a Gor before and all of them, even Saudis, still had a clear memory of the terror-filled day that it occurred.
The three of them heard a horse galloping towards them very fast. Veldor didn’t draw his sword since he felt no danger around him and his feelings were very true for the rider of the horse was Garmin. Garmin came right up to Veldor, Saudis, and Joden and dismounted his horse.

“How’d you know I was near here?” Veldor asked Garmin.

“I’m your brother, I know where you go to do whatever it is you do.” Garmin answered easily.

“It’s nice to see you again.” Joden said putting his hand on Garmin’s shoulder.

“It’s nice to see you, too.”

“I thought bears were hibernating at this time of the year.” Saudis said cockily. Joden could barely hold in his laughter but Veldor laughed quite openly knowing his brother wasn’t as threatening as he looked. Garmin shoved Saudis making him move back a couple footsteps.

“I’m here to remind you, especially you Saudis, that Gothrin is about to read off the names of the knights that will compete in the Blood Trials.” Garmin said quickly. Veldor couldn’t believe he forgot that today was that day. Saudis and Joden quickly ran to their horses and Veldor ran to his. The four of them rode quickly through the kingdom to the castle courtyard where they got off their horses and ran to the large grass area where just about every knight was waiting eagerly.

The Competitors

Escorted by a few guards, King Gothrin strode onto the wooden platform in front of the crowd of knights. His long, straight, black hair with a few strands of gray in it touched his shoulders. He stared into the faces of many of the knights. Some of them, like Joden and Veldor, stood very solemnly as they realized this was a serious ritual and decided on many important things. Others, like Saudis, fidgeted around impatiently.

“As I see your faces it tells me many things about your character, and I couldn’t be more pleased with what I interpret. You knights are among the best soldiers ever to fight for the race of Man. But, five of the hundreds of knights that stand before me will have the chance to become the best they could scarcely dream to be. These knights, through many long observations, are of the noblest, strongest, righteous, and disciplined knights ever in the race of Men.” The king pulled a scrap of paper that was tucked into his belt. He unfolded it and continued his speech. “These men will have the chance to become a Dark Angel. But, it easier said than done because in the Blood Trials you must first defeat one of the five Dark Angels in battle. And once you accept this challenge, there is no turning back. So, with these things in mind, I shall name the five competitors for the Blood Trials.” Veldor, Garmin, Saudis, and Joden looked at each other with anticipation. They had waited years for this moment.

King Gothrin cleared his throat, looked at the paper, and spoke. “Garmin son of Harrid, Saudis son of Samuel, Joden son of Nerris, Veldor son of Harrid, and Bedwick son of Brune.” The four friends stared at each other in awe. Joden couldn’t believe Saudis of all the hundreds of knights was chosen. Saudis began cheering and shouting causing all the knights to stare in his direction making the Joden, Garmin, and Veldor feel like fools. Saudis stopped cheering when he saw that the knights weren’t exactly as excited as he was. Gothrin smiled. “Come my knights! Come!” He beckoned to them. Slowly, nervously looking at the many knights giving them discouraging stares, the four friends stepped onto the platform. They searched the crowd with their eyes looking for the man Bedwick. Suddenly, he walked away from the crowd and onto the platform next to the four other knights. In one of Bedwick’s large hands was a great, terrifying spear made completely of iron ensuring it not to break for many years. The man was even a little bigger than Garmin! Saudis was pretty sure he wouldn’t be able to joke around with Bedwick though. Proudly, King Gothrin stood in front of the five knights holding out ‘The Holy Bible’ with his right hand.

“Do you, Veldor, swear upon this holy book to compete in the Blood Trials till you have slain your opponent or are killed by him?” King Gothrin asked in a loud, clear voice. Veldor took the Bible and swore. The same question was asked to every knight and every knight gave the same answer. At the end the crowd of knights cheered for a long time and Veldor and his friends felt like they could really do it. Like they could really become Dark Angels!

*


Veldor awoke the next morning with Garmin snoring loudly in the bed on the other side of the room. Veldor had the familiar dream, or nightmare, of when his father was fatally wounded. When King Gothrin said the name Harrid Veldor couldn’t stop thinking about his father through the entire ceremony.

Veldor sprang out of bed and stretched a little. He had less than a week to prepare for the Blood Trials. Many people died in the trial. Most of them were knights and now that all of Veldor’s friends and his brother and himself were in it made it even more nerve-racking. And he had sworn to God that he would compete no matter what so there was no way to get out of it. He knew it would be a miracle if all of them came out alive.

Veldor shuffled over to the wooden wall in front of his bed where his sword was hanging. He grabbed the hilt and brought it close to him. Feeling the leather handle was so familiar and comforting. It had been awhile since he’d practiced with his comrades. Veldor put on his armor and scabbard and rode off to where he was sure he would find Saudis.

Sure enough, when Veldor came to the wooden cabin he heard the clear sound of shouting and heavy thuds. Veldor turned the reins of Blizzard toward the sounds and he found Saudis yelling as he violently slashed and stabbed at a tree with his two short swords. Veldor got off Blizzard and unsheathed his sword gripping it with two hands.

Saudis turned when he felt the presence of someone approaching. His face was shining with sweat. His black hair was very greasy looking from not bathing regularly and his mustache and goatee weren’t looking very neat.

“I thought I’d find you here.” Veldor remarked standing by his horse.

“Yeah, thought I’d get ready before they do.” Saudis said taking off his helmet trying to get his breath back.

“Do you want me to help?” Veldor asked hopefully. Saudis nodded and strapped his helmet back on. Veldor pulled his helmet onto his head and tightened his grip on his two-handed sword.

Without warning Saudis charged Veldor screaming and Veldor quickly blocked one sword after the other. Saudis narrowly missed ripping out Veldor’s insides with a fast slash aimed for the stomach. Veldor hit one of Saudis’s attacks early setting Saudis off balance and Veldor brought his sword down on Saudis’s helmet. The blade hit with the flat side and Saudis admitted defeat.

“You realize…” Saudis began hardly able to breath, “you realize I only lost because… I was up for hours practicing.”

“If you push yourself this hard you won’t be able to pick up your swords when the time does come.” Veldor warned him.

“I suppose you’re right. But shouldn’t we be enjoying ourselves the best we can. It’s not like we have a realistic chance of beating these Dark Angels. They’ll massacre Joden. He won’t be able live a minute against one of them.” Saudis said desperately. Veldor considered his words gravely. Unfortunately, he realized they were most definitely true. Joden would die. He never was a good fighter and that couldn’t change in a week. Garmin would probably live since Veldor never saw any wound affect Garmin whatsoever. If this was his last week to live, Veldor would rather be doing a lot of other things than practice sword-fighting. But, hope was in Veldor’s heart at all times grim.

“No!” Veldor shouted suddenly at Saudis, “Joden won’t be slain and neither will we. We’ll smite all enemies before us no matter how menacing they are. No matter how vicious their weapons strike. Every one of us will stand victorious.” Saudis was unmoved by Veldor’s talk.

"I still think Joden’s going to die.” Saudis said bluntly, “I’m tired and I’m going back to sleep.” Saudis slipped his swords into their scabbards and mounted his horse.

“I wasn’t serious. I believe you, Veldor. I always have and I think all of us can pull through this, too.” Saudis said softly turning back to Veldor. Veldor was in awe of this new Saudis that was strangely compassionate.

“Do you really mean that or are you kidding again?” Veldor said still baffled.

“I do, if there’s a leader among the four of us it’s you. You’ll be the one to lead us to victory and help us go through challenges other than fighting. Challenges a true knight can overcome. Which regrettably I cannot.” Saudis added and rode off.

Veldor stood staring in the direction of where Saudis left waiting to wake up from a strange dream, but it never happened. That was really Saudis, the same Saudis that got so drunk every weekend he couldn’t make it to his horse without bumping into every wooden post mistaking it for a person on the way out of the bar. Veldor decided that must have been the reason for him acting strange, that he was simply drunk out of his mind, but Veldor was wrong. Saudis hadn’t drunk any alcohol for a week and was thinking normally. Veldor wouldn’t know the truth until ten months and seven days into the future.

The Blood Trials

The entire week before the Blood Trials Joden, Garmin, Saudis, and Veldor trained for hours and hours every day. Finally, the day had come where destinies would end and begin. The day of the Blood Trials had come.

Veldor opened his eyes with a sudden quickness that startled him. He did not want this day to come although in the past he dreamed of competing in the Blood Trials but now he felt sickened at the very thought of it. With great reluctance, Veldor rose out of bed and stumbled over to Garmin’s couch where he would have slept. But, he didn’t find Garmin there and guessed he was already at the arena. Veldor grabbed all of his gear, put it on Blizzard, and rode off with great speed.

*

It wasn’t long before Veldor’s eyes were set upon the awesome arena that he had rarely seen before. Veldor’s mouth dropped at the sight of the massive building. Nearly three hundred feet high it stood and hundreds of feet long. It was a masterpiece of architecture. With immense slowness, Veldor moved Blizzard into the stables inside the arena. Veldor unsaddled his horse and carried the heavy burden of armor and weapons with him as he walked aimlessly around the gigantic building.

Veldor began to panic and longed to be back home where he wasn’t in any danger and where he was with his brother. “I must look like a fool!” Veldor thought as he wandered around, “Carrying a saddle full of weapons without a sense of direction. People must think I’ve lost my horse!” A guard was patrolling a hallway and Veldor walked up to him.

“I’m looking for the area of the Blood Trials and I haven’t a clue where it is.” Veldor told the guard. The guard nodded and quickly answered Veldor. “Well, you go down that hall and keep going until you find a large armory and that’s where you stay until they call you up. Good luck and the Lord Almighty be with you!”

Veldor smiled and thanked the guard and followed his directions. The further he went down the long hall the darker and quieter it grew. Veldor felt the urge to put on his armor and sword but he never did. He kept walking and walking carrying the heavy load the entire time until he came to a large iron door. Veldor set his equipment down and pushed the door open. Inside it was indeed a large armory with swords and spears and axes everywhere. Although it was smelly Veldor liked it much. He loved the sight of steel weapons and armor.

Refocusing on what he was doing, Veldor grabbed his things and walked into the armory setting his stuff near an anvil. Veldor sighed at the thought that he wouldn’t have to carry that burden for awhile. He sat down on a wooden chair near a display of beautifully crafted helmets. Veldor closed his eyes and finally rested his senses.

Suddenly, they were aroused again when he heard people shouting and laughing. Veldor got off his chair and headed for the wooden door where the voices were coming from. He opened the door and saw a bar with men sitting at tables drinking ale. Among these people he saw Saudis and Garmin and Joden sitting at one of the tables.

Veldor smiled and strode over to his friends. Saudis laughed as he saw Veldor coming. Garmin and Joden just smiled at Veldor as he sat down. It was obvious that Saudis and Garmin had been drinking more than enough, but showed not one sign of slowing down. Joden even had a mug full of ale by his arm.

“Have you been drinking, Joden?” Veldor questioned with a wide smile on his face
.
“I’d never drink this vile thing!” Joden retorted pushing the ale away from him.

“Oh, come on. Just one drink before you die.” Saudis laughed still completely uncompassionate as usual. Joden humored him and took a mouthful of ale and swallowed it. Joden suddenly looked pale and clenched his stomach.

“Are you going to throw up?” Garmin asked moving slightly away from Joden. Joden shook his head and said, “No, I’ll be fine.”

“I’ll finish your drink for you.” Veldor said as chugged down the last of Joden’s ale.

Garmin just realized that the Blood Trials would be happening in just a few hours and they wouldn’t look very noble drinking and carrying on. “Stop. We’ve got to stop right now. Come on, into the armory!” Garmin said as he quickly stood up.

“Why can’t we stay here?” Saudis asked not moving.

"Because if you drink any more you won’t be able to tell if the Dark Angel that’s trying to kill you is either a man or a tree!” Veldor shouted just realizing why Garmin’s mood changed so suddenly. Joden helped Saudis to his feet while they walked back to the armory to try and regain their senses as best they could before the trials.

Saudis gently lied down on an uncomfortable wooden bench in the armory while everyone else, except Veldor who sat on another wooden bench, sat on the floor. Silence consumed the room as the knights pictured the fight in their minds trying to think of everything they were ever taught.

Above the knights thousands of voices began to break the silence until they could barely hear themselves talking. They realized that the armory must’ve been directly under the arena. The door to the armory swung open and Bedwick walked in. He still carried his six-foot long spear.

Bedwick sat down next to Veldor. “Are you nervous?” Veldor said just loud enough so Bedwick could hear. Bedwick shook his head no. “What about you?” He asked Veldor. “No.” Veldor said slowly. His hand started to shake uncontrollably and Bedwick realized Veldor was lying. “You’d be more convincing if your hand was not shaking.” Bedwick smiled at Veldor.

Time passed in the dreary armory and the voices above them got quieter. Now all the knights, except Bedwick, held their breath for the messenger to tell them who would fight first. Garmin bit his finger to relieve some of the tension but almost pierced his skin with his own teeth. Joden began to strap on his armor with the help of Saudis. Veldor’s hand was still shaking as he slashed and chopped the air with his sword imagining the Dark Angel was fighting him. Bedwick still sat like a statue on the wooden bench cradling his massive spear.

Minutes that seemed like eternities passed until the faint sound of running feet could be heard. The iron door opened and a thin man in simple clothing came into the armory panting.

“It’s time for… for Joden to compete.” The man said quickly, “The rest of you might as well get ready,” The man spoke to the knights staring off into space as if recalling a distant memory, “these matches don’t last long usually.”

Joden stood up and turned to his friends. He wanted to say something but couldn’t think of anything except, “Goodbye.” That word nearly made Veldor cry. All of the four friends stood and each said, “Good luck.” Or “I’ll pray for you, friend.” Joden left the knights and followed the man who stood patiently.

The arena above the armory grew louder and louder. Veldor and the knights listened and could scarcely hear the announcer shouting. Then he stopped and the audience cheered as the relentless sound of swords and armor echoed through the armory. Veldor flinched at every agonizing scream from either Joden or the Dark Angel. Then Veldor and Garmin bowed their heads and began to pray. Saudis noticed them but still listened intently, he needed to know how the battle went. Then there was a long scream that faded off and the crowd was silent. Saudis knew either Joden or the Dark Angel just died. The crowd cheered again and the announcer spoke a few words and then the victor must have been taken away.

The man came running into the armory again and took Bedwick this time. When the knights listened they only heard a few indications that there was any fighting and then there was a loud shout from one of the combatants. The crowd was silent for a short time but then filled the armory with a deafening cheer.

“Either Bedwick didn’t stand a chance or he killed his opponent in just a couple strikes.” Saudis remarked. Then the same man came into the armory, sweat beading down his face.

“Saudis, you need to come up.” The man said. Saudis stood up quickly and turned to Garmin and Veldor.

“I’ll see you in a few minutes.” Saudis promised. Veldor and Garmin wished him good luck and said goodbye to him. Then Saudis marched proudly after the man who could hardly breathe now.

© Copyright 2007 October (drake_ben at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1203591-The-Last-Knight