*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1204748-Getting-Away
Rated: E · Essay · Young Adult · #1204748
Getting away is about growing up and realizing that there is more to life.
During the summer of 2005, I grew up and decided I wanted more out of my life. Before that, my life consisted of going to school, going to work, getting yelled at at home and sitting in front of one of the many computers in my house. That summer I realized how hopeless I really was, and how spoiled I had been acting for a long time. I changed. I grew up.

I started to ignore the harsh words my dad attacked me with, even the stupid jokes that really got to me and sometimes made me cry. I cleaned up after my little sister; if I didn't I knew I would get yelled at for not doing it, even though it was her mess. I made dinner. My mom worked late and took care of my sister's pony, while my dad went out scuba diving with his buddies; it was a new hobby of his, and my sister couldn't cook if her life depended on it. So I made dinner.

I never got a "thank you," I never got a "good job," they never even noticed. My home was my prison and my family the guards. I never asked for money. I felt a sort of accomplishment when the money I earned from working went into my bank account every month. My grandfather could no longer lecture me about responsibility. But, with the responsibility came a hunger for freedom. No one likes to be caged like an animal, and I was no exception. I wanted adventure, something new, and I wanted to go somewhere without my family breathing down my neck. At 16, it felt that there was nowhere to go, it felt like my family "owned" me.

One day, however, I was reading one of the monthly teen magazines I subscribed to, and I found a catalog for "STS High School." STS offered a year abroad to study at a American High School. I didn't have to think twice about it before starting to convince my parents to let me go. I wanted to go to the United States of America. To see a new country, learn about a new culture, and meet new people. It was a trip I would have to take alone, without any of my friends by my side, without anyone from my own country. I was ready for it, it just felt natural, and when others would be afraid, I couldn't be more excited.

It took me the whole summer to convince my parents to let me apply to the program. After several brochures, a movie, and a well-formed speech, they caved in. I knew it would be a long time process to get to America, but to satisfy my curiousity I would do anything. I knew I would miss my family and friends, but they would be waiting for me when I got back home. THis was a chance of a lifetime and I had never wanted anything so badly. This was my adventure and nothing could ruin it for me.
© Copyright 2007 Tone Ostbo (brokentoy at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1204748-Getting-Away