*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1205093-Why-me
Rated: E · Short Story · Teen · #1205093
A story im writing. I was not sure what genre its in.
Chapter One


As Louisa glided down the aisle, she wondered how she had got herself into this situation. Her parents had forced her into an arranged marriage but her outcast brother had thought up a plan to get her out of this mess. She knew Jasper had an answer to almost everything, but this was going just a little bit too far. However, he could be very persuasive and had convinced her into going along with another one of his plans which were very risky. But was this the only way to solve it?

"Do you, Louisa Mary Carter take Hector James Godwinson to be your husband? Do you promise to love, honor, cherish and protect him, forsaking all others and holding only unto him?"
The vicar’s booming voice broke into the thoughts of her gloomy future. This was her chance.
“No!” she said passionately and ran hysterically back down the aisle and out of the church, tears spilling uncontrollably down her beautiful willowy face. She ran straight into Jasper who was waiting expectantly outside for her.
“Come on Lou, let’s go home.” He said softly as she sobbed on to his shoulder. He led her to a black Mercedes Benz with tinted windows and an elderly driver watching awkwardly as the tearful woman in the meringue wedding dress and the mysterious man in a dark suit and hat got into the car.
“Home, Benson, home.” Jasper said to his driver and the car drove into the gathering darkness.

♦ ♦ ♦

Louisa awoke up abruptly and found herself in a strange room, in a strange bed. Where was she? Then last night’s troubles flooded back to her and she turned over and groaned inwardly. Then her door opened and Jasper came in.
“Get dressed and come downstairs,” he said, “I’ve got something to show you.”

Louisa made her way downstairs and met her brother waiting for at the bottom of a grand marble staircase. She realized that she must be in his mansion. He walked briskly and she had trouble keeping up. He went through some glass double doors, down a long corridor and out into the fresh air. There was a pool which looked out over an idyllic view of the country-side.
“Don’t you just love it?” He sighed dreamily. “It’s so beautiful, don’t you think? But anyway, this isn’t what I brought you here to see. Here, take this,” He said, his voice resuming its normal coldness. As he thrust a hand into his jacket pocket, Louisa thought she saw a glint of red hair peep over the bush nearest to them. But she dismissed this as ‘a trick of the light‘and returned to what Jasper was showing her. He took out an ebony revolver and gave it to her.
“Only use it if you need to,” he explained, his composed grey eyes looking intently into her doe-like brown ones. “Look after it well and do not let anyone take it from you.”
Louisa was speechless; she had never held a gun before. It was surprisingly light and she felt a great responsibility overcome her when she was holding it. She opened her mouth to speak but nothing came out.
“Don’t worry; I’m sure you’ll use it well” Jasper said, reassuringly. She smiled weakly and as she turned away, she noticed a small, round, freckly face peek out from behind the bush, with the appearance of one who had just walked through a bush backwards. His sky blue eyes widened in surprise as he saw her frowning at him. He stumbled clumsily on to his feet and dashed back down the hill. Louisa hurried to catch up with her brother and whispered urgently “Someone’s been spying on us.” Jasper swiveled around and looked at her with burning shock in his eyes.
“Who?” he demanded.
“A little boy with red hair, about ten I think.” She answered hastily. Something in the boy’s sky blue eyes unsettled her and she felt she needed to tell someone. Immediately Jasper’s pressing eyes turned back to their usual calm state.
“Oh, he’s just the gardener’s boy,” he said, “That lad wouldn’t tell a soul.” They walked on quietly together and presently Jasper said “I’ve got some acquaintances coming for dinner today, but you wouldn’t mind that, would you?” She shook her head, her chocolate brown tresses cascading over her shoulders.

That evening, with seven of his ‘acquaintances’ at a long table (all men and dressed in black suits and hats), Louisa felt awkward and conspicuous. Some of them were playing cards and one of them was smoking a Cuban cigar. Suddenly, there was a loud knock at the door. Everyone froze and looked up.
“Open up or I’ll break down the door!” A harsh voice cut through the silence.
“Cops.” Someone whispered. There was a moment’s silence and then everyone went wild. In amongst all the mayhem, Jasper pushed Louisa into a stuffy wardrobe and shut the door.
“Keep still.” He murmured. The wardrobe was hot and stifling and Louisa found it hard to breathe. Disturbing thoughts were running through her mind. What had her brother done this time? It must have been bad to get the police knocking at the door. There was a sound of wood splitting and voices shouting. Louisa put her hand over her mouth to stop her from breathing too loudly. All of a sudden, the wardrobe door was flung open and standing there was the same red headed boy that she had seen hiding behind a bush that morning. So her brother had been wrong, he was a spy! He broke into a grin at the sight of her and his eyes gleamed with greed. How lucky he was today! Extra money for this as well!
“Officer! I found another one!” He shouted gleefully. “Come on, miss, let’s get you out of here.”

Louisa found herself being handcuffed and shoved into the back of a police car. As they approached the station Louise felt a pang of dread; why were they taking her away? She was innocent, surely they knew that! She stared at the seat in front of her, pondering over this, and presently her eyes began to water, a result of having stared too long. However, the red haired boy (who was called Rupert she found out) took this as a sign of grief.
“Don’t cry, miss.” He said in the gentlest tone he could manage. He hated any sadness, as he was an optimistic boy.
“It’ll be alright,”
She hoped he was right.
Back at the house, Jasper was pacing up and down, a troubled expression on his face.
“It wasn’t her fault; I got her into this mess.” His brow was creased with worry and he felt restless. “It should’ve been me who was taken.”

At the station, Louisa was being questioned. She put on her most innocent expression and answered the questions as truthfully as she could without getting Jasper in trouble. But the officer was harsh, he knew her brother was a regular lawbreaker and to his narrow-minded self, being in his house meant that she was one too. The officer looked at her suspiciously.
“I know what your type are like,” he snarled, “Always in the way, making trouble for innocent citizens.”
“But I…” She stopped herself just in time; they were never going to believe her.
“What?” The officer’s eyes bore into her.
“Oh, nothing.” She looked down, unable to look him in the eye.
“Right then.” said the officer, immediately taking on the matter of fact voice that officers are supposed to have.
“We’ll put you in a cell tonight and decide what to do with you in the morning.” He took her down a small flight of stairs and pushed her lightly into a small, dingy, cell. It only contained a dirty wash basin and a narrow, smelly bed for her to sleep in. She sat down heavily on the bed and sighed. How ridiculous was this? Being taken away to a police station, just for being in the wrong place at the wrong time? She was such a wimp. Why hadn’t she stood up for herself? Questions whirled in her mind and she let her head fall onto the thin, grimy pillow. Her eyelids began to droop and she closed them. She suddenly realized how tired she was. She yawned heavily. Maybe it would work its self out in the morning.
She fell asleep.


(If you have any better names, i am open to suggestions)
© Copyright 2007 PrincessClara (princessclara at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1205093-Why-me