*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1205144-Take-It-Or-Leave-It
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Meldew
Rated: E · Prose · Inspirational · #1205144
A paradigm to make life a little less difficult
Take It, Or Leave It…


The mountain of life is there to be climbed. Whether we walk the winding, gentle paths or tackle a direct upward trek is, for the most part, our choice. Sometimes we wander and wind and at other times we charge headlong for the heights. Sometimes we are tired and seem to stumble upon the smallest stone. At other times we leap and bound – barely touching foot to ground. Yet, one thing is constant. The higher we climb; the summit is higher still. Whether we fix our eyes upon it or not. The reaching of the summit is inevitable. The day we draw breath is the day we begin this journey.

This journey has no bias as to gender, skin colour, ability. It is the one challenge every person must face. The one task every person must undertake. There is no exception. The only choice we have on this journey, is the manner in which we climb. Do we look with wonder at the flowers when we chance upon them? Or do we resent their ability to put down roots and bloom? When we rest, do we turn and look at how far we have climbed? The challenges that we have overcome? Or do we turn and dwell on each stone that has tripped us on our way?

Yet, we will reach the top. The view we will see when we reach that place is dependent upon the way in which we choose to climb. Whether we take and hold on to the hand, which is offered at every step – to guide, to support, to strengthen. Or whether we push the hand aside. Whether we stop and offer our own hand of help to others. Or walk on by. Whether we stop to smell the flowers. Or trample them in resentment or haste. For when we reach the summit, we will turn, and there before us will be our journey. We will see our trek from a new perspective. We will see our every act. Feel our every feeling. Think our every thought. We will see the things we knew no one else could know. And a question will be asked of us. “Why?”

If we accept the hand of help and follow the way it leads, we will not have to answer this question. Instead, the hand will be held high and the answer will be given. For the scar upon that hand will declare that where we lacked – He was plenty. Where we fell – He stood. Where we were weak – He was strong. This question now fully answered, we are free to turn and take in the view.

Melissa Dewis
© Copyright 2007 Meldew (meldew at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1205144-Take-It-Or-Leave-It