*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1205244-Ricochet
Rated: E · Fiction · Action/Adventure · #1205244
A war zone.
He peeked out around the side of the rock he was using for cover to try to spot his enemy. The bullets were whizzing by his hiding place, so close to either side of him that he could hear the humming noise they made as they flew past. He pulled his camoflage capped head back behind the rock and slapped the bottom of his M-16 magazine.  Drawing all of his courage up inside of him into one large swelling ball of resolve, he dove out into the tall grass.  Ending his dive with a roll that left him laying down in shin high grass with his weapon shouldered and his sight picture formed, he didn't hesitate to put his enemy into that picture.  He saw the red of his enemies uniform, then he saw the front sight line up with the rear sight in perfect alignment with that enemy, he let out his breath and squeezed the trigger. His locked and loaded M-16 with the safety off explosively released the lead projectile. Adrenaline was pumping through the soldier so fast, it seemed like the impact of that projectile took forever, although it happened in only a few heartbeats.  The round tore through the thin sheets of cloth the enemy soldier was wearing, breaking through skin and forcing its way through bone.  Blood squirted from the hole, and he watched his enemy drop, right hand over his heart like he was pledging allegiance to the country whose flag he was fighting to subdue.
© Copyright 2007 PenName (enkay_es at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1205244-Ricochet