*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1205356-Candy-Hearts-Avocados-and-a-Valentine
by Amanda
Rated: E · Short Story · Teen · #1205356
Valentines Day was the worst holiday to be born on....at least that's what Kate thought.
I first noticed them on January 2nd.

They come earlier every year.

Normally the sights of pink and red hearts everywhere made me euphoric, but this year they just reminded me of responsibilities.

This seems like a strange thing to attribute to tacky heart decor, but not for me. You see, I was born on the worst possible holiday: Valentines Day. Ever since I was born, whenever I'd tell people my birthday I'd receive the same reaction, "Aww how cute!”

Truthfully, though, I used to love having my birthday on the holiday of love. The pink and red decorations not only reminded me of love and romance, but presents too!

This year was different though, it was the year of my seventeenth birthday and I had pressure on me from all sides; from my teachers to keep my grades up, from my parents to get into a good college, from my friends to get my drivers license, and the biggest pressure of all was from myself to do all those things on a daily basis.

Seventeen only meant being one year closer to adulthood and being on my own.
And just to top it all off, I didn’t even have a boyfriend. Now, I'm a firm believer that a girl does not need a guy to be happy, but even so, all my problems would seem much less significant if I could say, "Well it's tough, but he makes it all worth it!'
I didn’t even have any prospects! I did have a friend, who happened to be a boy, but that was it. Gavin had been my best friend ever since a horrible Algebra class in freshman year.

"Hello? Earth to Kate? You know if you’re that into the candy hearts, I think you should just get them."

I realized that I had been staring at a bag of candy conversation hearts.

"Oh…right…sorry Gavin. Are you ready to go?"

He gave his classic grin and said he was.

Gavin and I were at the supermarket picking up some things for my mom who was 8 1/2 months pregnant, and having cravings for avocados and strawberry ice cream.

"Thinking about your birthday?" Gavin asked as we stood in line for the checkout.

By all girl standards, I suppose Gavin was a reasonably attractive being. He had brown eyes and brown shaggy hair that was almost always in his face. Most adults called him a 'punk' because he always wore some band's T-shirt, and jeans with holes in them, but he really was the most chivalrous guy I'd ever known.

I snorted at his question.

"AH...not looking forward to it this year?"

I paid for the groceries and we walked out to the parking lot.

"What should I look forward to; Pressure, stress, a barf-producing little bundle of germs?"

I wasn't too keen on having a new sibling, as I was used to being an only child.

"Come on, Kate. It's not that bad,"

Gavin would say that, he had four younger siblings and loved kids.

We pulled up to my house a few minutes later and brought in the groceries. As we were unloading them in the kitchen, I noticed a small box of candy hearts in the bottom of the bag.

"What are these?" I turned to Gavin.

"Surprise!" he said, grinning.

Despite my brooding, I couldn't help but smile. He knew my love for the colorful heart shaped candies.

"Stop trying to make me feel better..." I grumbled.

"Well, someone had better; you've been sulking around the house since New Years!" My mother interjected, as she lumbered in for her strawberry ice cream and avocados.

"Mom!"

I hated when she barged in like that! Pregnant or not, she still should respect my privacy!

I groaned as Gavin and I went upstairs to my attic bedroom.

"Hey, I have some good news for you!" Gavin said as we sat down on my sofa.

"Well, I guess I could use some right about now," I told him, reading my candy hearts before eating them.

"I have a friend who’s seen you at school lately, and wants to know if you'll go out with him on Valentines Day!"

"A blind date? That's supposed to make me feel better?" I asked him incredulously.

"Come on Kate, you haven't had a date in ages, and this guy is perfect for you, trust me!"

I thought about it for a minute. What did I have to lose? If it went badly my life wouldn't be any worse than it already was, and if it went well, I might end up with a boyfriend!

"Ok, sure,"

Gavin's eyes lit up with excitement.

"Great! I gave him directions to your house, so he'll pick you up Tuesday at 7."

At least it was only Sunday and I had some time to decide if I wanted to back out or not.

"Thanks Gavin, this really means a lot to me," I told him. For once, I wasn't being sarcastic.

"I'm glad," He replied.

His hair was actually out of his face and I saw he was staring right at me.
I gulped.

This was...different.

And strangely enough, I could feel my face heating up, and my throat was getting dryer by the moment!

Why was this happening? This was GAVIN! My best friend!

But could he be more?

I nearly gasped out loud when the thought entered my mind.

"I'd better be going," he said abruptly, "My mom's fixing dinner tonight,"

And just as soon as our impromptu staring contest had begun, it was over when Gavin told me goodbye and left.

I looked down and realized that I was holding the candy hearts in a death grip, and quickly let up.

Pushing all thoughts of Gavin out of my mind, temporarily at least, I turned my thoughts to my date Tuesday night.

The next morning at school, Gavin and I met at my locker. He talked as though nothing strange had happened last night! Well, if he could forget about it, then I could too.

That only lasted until third period.

Even if he did think of me as more than a friend, why would he set me up on a date with someone else?

Thinking logically, I decided that I must've had some food on my face or something to make him stare.

Despite my prying though, Gavin wouldn't tell me anything about my mystery date. He did tell me, however, that dress was pretty formal so I should abandon my jeans and flip-flops for the evening.

Gavin always gave me a ride home, so after school we met at his car and drove home. But not before making our traditional stop at McFreezy's for our after-school beverage

Normally, conversation came easy, but today we both were quiet.
As he was driving, I sneaked a peek at him for a brief moment. Now that I looked at him, he was pretty handsome. I guess, I'd never noticed how nice his eyes were, always so happy and full of life. And his grin, which almost never left his mouth, seemed now to be...charming. Then, as I looked closer I realized that his lips were actually quite nice looking, and they seemed like they would be very good kissing lips...

OH MY GOSH! I was staring at my best friend's lips! This was the guy I used to play video games with, the guy I joked around with, not the guy whose lips suddenly made me think about kissing him!

Although, I imagine he'd be very good at it...

STOP IT!!

"You have a death wish for that Styrofoam cup?" Gavin suddenly asked me.

I looked down and realized, in my thoughts, I'd squeezed my empty McFreezy's cup into a pulp. I had tendency to squeeze things when I was thinking hard.

"Oh, um, yeah, I guess," I mumbled, unable to look up at him, as I was afraid of what my mind would think at another look at his lips.

"What were you thinking about?" Gavin asked me.

Darn him for knowing my strange habits!

"Oh, I don't know. I guess I'm having second thoughts about that date tomorrow night..."

That really wasn't what I was thinking, but it would suffice.

He gave a grin, and a small laugh.

"I knew you'd say that! Look Kate, You have to put yourself out there sometime. Don't you think I know you well enough to know what kind of guys are good enough for you?"

I smiled at the last part. Little did he know that he was making it even harder to go on this date.

"Yes...I...I suppose," I managed to croak out as I focused entirely on my lap.

"Well, then trust me!" he said, pulling into my driveway.

He caught me off guard next by putting both on his hand on my shoulders and turning me around gently to face him, allowing me to get a very good view of his lips.

"Okay?" he said, his brown eyes boring into my grey ones.

All I could do was nod.

This time, unlike last, I broke of the staring spree first.

"Well, I'd better get inside," I said with more confidence than I felt.

He nodded and we said goodbye. Still reeling from his touch, I managed to stumble inside the house.

I saw my mother sitting on the couch when I entered, eating her avocados and strawberry ice cream.

"Oh hi Sweetie, how was your day?"
Instead of answering, I dropped my backpack, and ran over to my mom, throwing my arms around her neck. I realized I needed my mother right now, no matter how crazy she was.

"Honey, what's wrong?"

I sniffled a little, as tears began to run down my face.

"I'm so confused Mom! I think I'm beginning to fall in love with Gavin, but at the same time I have a date with his friend who is apparently perfect for me! He's always been so sweet and perfect for me, and I'm a idiot not to have seen it!" I sobbed.

"Aww, sweetie, its ok..."

"No it's not! My problems arn't just with Gavin!I'm being pressured everyday from friends, from myself, even from you and dad!"

"How?" She asked, still remaining calm.

"To get good grades 24/7, to get my drivers license, to find the perfect college! I'm only human and sometimes I feel like you expect more from me than I can actually do!"

My mom hugged me even harder.

"Oh, Kate, that was never our intent. We just want what's best for you! I'm sorry if we've been putting to much pressure on you! Tell you what, you just try your hardest, and if we start pressuring you too much, just let us know okay?"

I sniffled, "Ok,"

"Now," my mom said, pulling back, "About Gavin...I think you need to be honest with him about your feelings, but I also think you should still go on this date tomorrow night since you already agreed to it,"

I nodded in response, she was right. I knew what I had to do.

The next day at school, my birthday, Valentines Day, the whole school was full of red and pink, hearts and balloons, stuffed animals and candy. Gavin surprised me at my locker with a little box in his hand. He gave me a hug and told me to open it. I smiled as I unwrapped the paper to reveal a little white box. As I lifted the lid, I saw the most beautiful bracelet I'd ever seen. It was a silver charm bracelet, but all the charms were little colored conversation hearts. It was perfect.

"Thank you Gavin! I love it!"

Unable to control the biggest smile I'd had in a long time, I threw my arms around his neck.

I suppose it was right then when I realized I loved him. I'd always loved him! He knew me better than anybody, and he would do anything to make me happy.

Except I couldn't tell him that now! I'd have to wait at least until after my date tonight.

I went about the school day planning how I would tell my date that while I appreciated the gesture, I was in love with someone else.

That night, my mom helped me get ready. I wore a knee length, A-line red satin dress with off the shoulder sleeves. Mom pulled my hair up into a curly mass on my head.

I mostly went through all that for my mother; she loved to play dress up with me. She told me with the baby coming, we would have as much time together as we normally did. So, I agreed.

I'd rather have a date with Gavin tonight.

Curse me for being a girl of my word!

When we were all finished, I looked at myself in the mirror...I looked good.

Although it still seemed pointless to me, since I couldn’t see the one person I wanted.

Getting bored, I decided to call Gavin.

When the phone rang his mother answered it, and I asked for him.

"Oh, I'm sorry, Gavin's out on a date tonight. I'll tell him you called!"

Trying to hold back tears, I thanked her and hung up.

That's why he wanted me to find a date for Valentines Day, because he had one, and he wouldn't be obligated to hang out with Poor Little Kate.
I felt like such an idiot! I should have known better than to let my guard down!

"Kate! Your date's here!" My dad yelled from downstairs.

Well, fine. I was going to have a great time tonight, no matter what that slime ball Gavin did!

But, when I walked into the entry way, my breath left me. The guy standing in front of me had on a full tux, and was gorgeous! As I looked up to his face a smile spread across mine. Even though he was dressed to the nines, his shaggy brown hair kept falling into his brown eyes.

As rational thought seemed to have completely left my mind, I couldn't stop myself from yelling "Gavin!" and running up to him and his wonderful grin.

And although I hadn't planned on doing so, I flung my arms around his neck, and I kissed him.

Right on the lips.

And the best part was, I think he enjoyed it as much as I did.

When we finally broke apart, we remembered that my parents were right there!

"Umm...I'll be back before twelve, okay?" I said shakily.

They just smiled and nodded.

As soon as we stepped outside, Gavin turned to me.

"I have wanted to do that for the longest time!"

I couldn’t suppress a small giggle that escaped my lips.

Even before we reached his car, we shared another long kiss, and as far as him being a good kisser...well I had no complaints.

I smiled a goofy smile, as he opened the car door for me, and I sat inside.
As we drove to Chez Lauren, the French restaurant Gavin’s Uncle owned, I felt compelled to ask him something, now that we were dating and all.

"How long have you known?"

"That I loved you? Well, do you remember that day in freshman year when we met in Algebra?"

"Yeah..."

"Right about there,"

I smiled and felt my cheeks heat up, but this time, I didn't mind so much.

"What about you?"

I smiled sheepishly,” Would you believe this morning?"

Just then my phone rang. Why would my parents be calling me now? Unless...?

"Kate! I'm so sorry to interrupt your date, but your mom's in labor! You need to get to the hospital right now!"

And before I could even respond, he hung up!

My eyes widened. She wasn’t due for another two weeks!

Gavin noticed my face, and asked what my father said.

"Mom's in labor! We need to get to the hospital, now!" I told him.

My brain finally began to kick in and I realized the hugeness of this!

Without a word, Gavin took the next exit and hit the gas to get to the hospital. When we arrived, we ran to the maternity ward where we found my dad looking quite like the expectant father, pacing.

When he saw me, he ran towards us, "Thank goodness you're here! They're getting your mom ready right now, then they're coming and getting me. Do you both mind waiting in here?"

I was too shocked to answer, so Gavin responded, "I'll take care of her, sir"

He gave Gavin an appreciative look as the nurse came and got my father.

We sat down in the waiting room chairs and I looked over at Gavin.

"I'm not ready to be a big sister! I don't know anything about babies!"
Gavin just smiled and took my hand, "It's not that tough, it's actually quite simple!"

"What?" I asked.

"Just love them,"

That was too easy.

"Wha-but-how-" I tried.

He smiled again,” Just love him or her as much as you can, and everything else will
fall into place,"

I teared up a bit, and Gavin just held me until two hours later when the nurse came out to tell me that I had a new baby sister, and I could go see her now.

Gavin offered to come with me, but I knew I needed to do this alone.
As I entered the room, I saw my mom all sweaty and gross, and my dad looking pale and out of breath, but I'd never seen them happier.

When they invited me in, I caught my first look at my baby sister, and suddenly Gavin's words made perfect sense. Then, when I held her in my arms, I realized we shared the same birthday.

"We still don't have a name for her," my mother said, "We thought we'd let you pick,"

Smiling bigger than I ever had, I responded with the most obvious answer to me.

"Valentine."
© Copyright 2007 Amanda (frenchgirl98 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1205356-Candy-Hearts-Avocados-and-a-Valentine