*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1207505-Jason
by Dave
Rated: E · Other · Experience · #1207505
Summer thunderstorms can be deadly
Jason

This is a story about a young man named Jason. We were never really introduced. In fact I know very little about him personally. At twenty-four years of age, he was a trim, long distance runner. He had a good job, a fiancé and his whole life lay before him.

In May of 2006 I was helping a neighbor with a project when a lady in a small pickup drives up. Seeing a lawn mower in back we figure she must be lost since there aren’t too many lawns in our area. She told us she was looking for her son’s dog and asked if we had seen it. Then, almost as an afterthought she said she was looking for her son as well. Her son, Jason, had gone for his ten mile run the day before and had not been seen since. I rushed home to load up some ATVs while my neighbor, Heather, gathered emergency things for a search. Our first thoughts were of the terrible electrical storm the previous afternoon. The search didn’t last too long.

A short distance away I came upon Jason, his dog, Baby and a man on horseback. The man was Jason’s dad who , just minutes before, was the first to find his son. Our fears were realized as they had indeed been struck and killed by lightning. I did my best to help console a father who was devastated with sorrow. I helped him make some calls and stayed with him until other help arrived. After rejoining my friends, we sat on a hill overlooking the vast expanse where a small group of necessary officials were gathering. We quietly watched with respect.

Jason stayed in our minds for quite a while. A lesson was learned. The neighbors and I agreed to try to let others know of our whereabouts, especially if we were going out alone and on horseback. A new respect was given for the frequent afternoon thunderstorms of this area as well.

Jason and his dog died in a beautiful place doing what he loved to do. This young man’s life was cut short but not forgotten, even by total strangers. He is remembered with each and every lightning bolt.

Rest in peace Jason Giese.
© Copyright 2007 Dave (rancher at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1207505-Jason