*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1207697-Night-Stand-Lamp
Rated: E · Prose · Other · #1207697
Written for a workshop prompt at school. "Describe the life of an inanimate object."
They said I glowed. A simple tug on a string would alert me that I was needed. I lit the room and chased the demons and monsters away, calming the child that called upon me. I would burn all through the night so that the child could sleep, and when they were not frightened anymore, they would tug on my string and the room would dim once more. The child slept.

In the daytime, when the sun lit the room, it was my job to sit still and become décor. My curvaceous body was painted brown and my wide shade held the colours of a peacock. When the day was dreary and jealous clouds shielded the sun, again it was my job to light the room.

Sometimes, though, I would loose my temper at being used so very often. A loud pop would sound and the room would flash. The child would leave, and then return with a new bulb, so that I could illuminate the bland room once more.
© Copyright 2007 kinneko (kinneko at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1207697-Night-Stand-Lamp