*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1208613-High-School-Graduation
Rated: E · Short Story · Experience · #1208613
When graduation is planned by only 3 people...Rivalry at its best. R&R
HIGH SCHOOL GRADUATION
Don’t you just hate it when one person, or a particular group of people take over everything? You know the one’s I’m talking about, because we all know them. They are the type of people who take over the planning of a particular event, with absolutely no regard for the other people involved.

That’s how it was during the run up to our high school graduation. Our graduating class consisted of thirty people. Thirty people who would all share a similar experience. Thirty people who would end one chapter of their lives, and begin the next. Thirty people who would all become adults on that particular night. Thirty people who would all graduate. So then, how did the experience a class of thirty suddenly become the concern of only three?

The three ‘popular’ girls in our class, Brittany, Maddie and Rainbow had always controlled everything at our school. They were of course, those perfect kind of people, the typical teacher’s pet, always getting the top marks in every class. They were gorgeous too. Even I had to admit that. Brittany had beautiful red hair, which looked perfect everyday without fail and she had fantastic jade coloured eyes. Maddie was the same. She had hair the colour of the sun, and cornflower blue eyes. Rainbow was a little plainer than the other two, but with friends like hers, it never seemed to matter. She was considered to be just as pretty as the others. They were also very active in school. They were on the Student Representative Council, controlling all the events that we had. They were on the yearbook committee, controlling all of that, and now they wanted to control every aspect of OUR graduation.

It wasn’t supposed to be like that, our school, or more specifically our teachers, had made a big deal about everyone getting involved to plan our big day. Everyone in our class was supposed to be on at least one committee, so that everyone had a fair chance to take part. It didn’t happen like that though, somehow, Brittany, Maddie and Rainbow, and their parents, had managed to get themselves signed up for every single committee, and were arranging meetings behind our backs. Before we knew it, they had decided on everything: the photographer, the menu for the banquet, the colours and decoration theme. I myself had signed up for the decorating committee, but I had not been told about any of the meetings, so I did not get a chance to go. Despite me asking repeatedly when and where we wanted to meet. They had planned it all. They had even planned all the music. Nothing much left for the rest of us. Somehow, our grad, had turned into purely Brit, Maddie, and Rain’s grad.

Now it might have been very easy to have gotten very angry at this turn of events. I mean, what right did Brittany Alexander have to plan MY graduation, right down to the very letter? None.

But instead of getting angry, my best friend Cass and I decided to get even.

We decided that we would change the plans, to make grad the way that we wanted it. Not just for us either, but for everyone else in our class. We were going to make it so that not just three, but twenty-seven people were able to take part in the preparation for our high school graduation.

We asked around everyone else in our grade, to see what they wanted our grad to be like.

We knew that no one wanted the photographer that had been booked. The meeting that had taken place to decide on him proved it. Brittany and her mom wanted this Massey guy to take our pictures, but it was a known fact that he had a bit of a reputation for taking bad pictures. This had been pointed out at several instances, but Brittany didn’t take any notice. So somehow, he had gotten booked. Cass and I knew that everyone else was unhappy about this decision, so Cass phoned and cancelled him, and booked another photographer. The one that the rest of the class had wanted in the first place.

We visited the company who were catering for us, and cancelled the existing menu, and changed it to something slightly more desirable than was originally chosen by Brittany.

And we were even for a while.

Picture day soon arrived, and as I expected, the newly booked photographer arrived. The look on Brittany’s face was hilarious, as she argued with the photographer, insisting that he was NOT the one that she had booked. The look of defeat as she gave in was particularly amusing, as she realized that she didn’t have much choice in the matter now.

She was angry with us though, after all, we had messed up her plans, and as expected her little minions, Maddie and Rain were also not too pleased with us. Maddie told Cass and I in no uncertain terms, that we were not to make any more changes to their preparations for grad. Well, I mean, that told us. We solemnly agreed that we would leave everything else in their capable hands.

Of course, we were lying. We already had so much more planned.

In no time at all, the rest of the preparations for grad were getting underway, at the actual day was approaching fast. Brittany and Maddie had been steadily working on the slideshow that would be shown to our guests during the ceremony. The slideshow was originally supposed to be a class effort, but of course, in typical Brittany fashion, she had taken over. It was finally finished, and was ready for the first screening, that is, it was to be shown to the rest of the graduating class.

The silence was horrible. The entire class was silent, which, if you knew our class, never happens. Not one person liked it. It was absolutely disgraceful. The music. The animation. The pictures. The entire slideshow sucked, and I for one felt embarrassed at the thought of everyone seeing that hideous mess. There was only one way to fix it.

Cass, our friend Sylvia and I stayed behind after school, to work on a project for English class. School work, however, was the last thing on our minds. We knew that the disk with the slideshow on it was in the desk of the classroom we were in. We had watched the teacher put it in the draw. So we accessed the slideshow, and changed it. The end result, if I do say so myself was fantastic. It looked so much better than the mess that Brittany had put out. And Cass, Sylvia and myself were excited for everyone to see it before grad.

We had made a lot of changes to grad to make it more bearable for the rest of the class, and we were finally getting excited. Cass had thrown a little party for the screening of the new slideshow. Most of the class were there, well except for the unholy three. The new slideshow was a great success, everyone loved it.

Finally, it was the week before grad, the final exams were finished, school was out, and the decorating could get underway. Cass and I were both on the decorating committee, and were eager to prepare the gym for our big day. We of course, being the worker bees that we were, decorated the gym according to how the unholy three wanted it. This basically meant posters being stuck, unstraight, onto the walls. A ridiculous mural thing on one of the walls.

That mural was hideous. It was on red paper, which looked like it had been attacked by an angry dog, and was covered in random spots of black and orange paint. To be honest, it looked like something a two year old had done. The entire mural just seemed pointless. And they wanted to put one on every wall...It was going to look like a disaster area.

And if that mural wasn't bad enough, there were random streamers hanging from the ceiling. Just hanging there, attached to nothing other than the ceiling. They were black and orange too. Somehow our grad had started to look like a tiger's hideout. Just pointless.

The entire room looked like a disaster. Cass spent most of the time looking like she was about to be sick. Something had to be done.

The day before the rehearsal, we stayed behind after the unholy three left, saying that we just wanted to make a few minor touches. The unholy three seemed satisfied with this and left. And we weren't lying. We were going to make some minor changes. To everything. We invited some of the other people in our class to help us out, and in no time at all, we had the place fixed up. It was now looking perfect, exactly the way we had imagined it. We were all starting to get excited now. We couldn't help it. The murals were now gone. We made a new one to put up on the stage. And some of our other friends fixed the streamers.

By the time we were finished, we were rather pleased with our efforts. The gym now looked like we were at a graduation, and not at a two year olds birthday party.

The next evening was our rehearsal. The look on the unholy three's faces when they entered the gym was priceless as they took in the new facelift that had been done to the decor. You could see that they were a little impressed, but were trying to suppress it enough to make us think they were outraged. Everyone else commented on how lovely the gym looked, and we got down to our rehearsal.

The rehearsal was a complete success. Now all we had to do was wait for the real thing the following day.
---
Epilogue

Grad was great fun. The entire class had a good time. Even the unholy three. Especially after the viewing of the slideshow. I had stolen a few glances at them while the slide show was on, but I couldn't make out any emotion towards it. But the rest of the class had enjoyed it, and that was all Cass and I cared about.

When the ceremony was over, Cass and I were stood talking to a few of our friends, discussing what we were doing over the summer. Brittany, Maddie and Rainbow came over to us, and told us, in a sickeningly sweet tone that they loved the changes. We shook hands, and parted on semi good terms.

All that was left to do now was to party, and spent one last night with our friends and classmates, before Cass and I would leave to find new adventures and make new memories during our backpacking trip around Europe.

Those stories are still to come!


This is pretty much finished. I will be working on the ending some more, but frankly, I suck at endings. So please review, and if you have any advice on how to fix it, i would love to hear it.

Thanks for reading.
© Copyright 2007 Lucy Scaman (lucya at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1208613-High-School-Graduation